Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times

Advertisements

I always thought SF was way more expensive but what do I know I am not from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 08:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I always thought SF was way more expensive but what do I know I am not from California.
SF is more expensive , but wages are higher .

Old 06-25-2017, 09:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
SF is more expensive , but wages are higher .
They're not much higher.

Why do people act like LA wages are on the level of a place like Orlando?

And even if it is a higher wage in cities like SF and NYC you're not better ahead. You're just paying out more of what you earned.

Does it really matter? As Jack Tavern pointed out his job here would be paying out $10 to $12K a year more in NYC, but he couldn't even afford to live in as a nice an area as he does here. Going out to eat is much more expensive, groceries are more expensive. You can end up being further behind and living a less comfortable life.

The only way you win is if you get a higher salary in a lower COL area, not getting a higher salary and than paying out due to a higher COL area. It's basic economics.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Median Family Income:

NYC: 59,285

LA 54,939

And rents are way higher in NYC. NYC is way less affordable than LA.

Now on a metro level, the southland is way less affordable than the tri-state NYC metro. But on a city level LA gets way more bang for your buck.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
I definitely concur.

Technically my apartment in WeHo is half as cheap as my apartment in DC because its twice as big, but for the same price. However, my fiancee took a 25% pay cut and i took like a 15% pay cut. Only thing really more expensive here is gas. I was amazed how cheap groceries are.

Im also surprised how weak unions are here for being a "liberal" state. Almost everything in DC and NYC is union.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I definitely concur.

Technically my apartment in WeHo is half as cheap as my apartment in DC because its twice as big, but for the same price. However, my fiancee took a 25% pay cut and i took like a 15% pay cut. Only thing really more expensive here is gas. I was amazed how cheap groceries are.

Im also surprised how weak unions are here for being a "liberal" state. Almost everything in DC and NYC is union.
California produces the most food of any state
Something that many seem to overlook .

--
"You know how the rest of the country likes to make fun of California, but how much would they miss us if we were gone? You can certainly bet the weeping and wailing would be off the charts at dinner time.

According to the latest statistics compiled by the California Department of Food and Agriculture, the state produces almost half of all the fruits, nuts and vegetables grown in the country, as well as a whopping share of the livestock and dairy."

California farmers: How the state feeds a nation - LA Times

Old 06-28-2017, 07:05 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
NYC is way more expensive than LA. I grew up there and when I visited back in 2014 was shocked at how much more. Want to cross the George Washington Bridge, that will be $13.50, got charged a $1 for a refill on iced tea at a diner. Just a couple of examples.

LA home prices are outrageous and yes rents have gone up, but NYC on a day to day basis is much more costly.
Yeah, I remember when I lived in socal, in 2013 my friend in NYC and i paid the same amount in rent every month to rent our respective apartments. She lived in Washington Heights in a 450 sq ft apartment (nothing wrong with that of course) and by comparison I lived in Huntington Beach in a 800 sq ft apartment a mile and a half inland. Also my utility bills were much lower due to the very mild beach climate.
I have driven on some of the socal tolls and even here in TX and I have never racked up $13.50 in one go. Well maybe to drive on the toll road to Austin for 20 miles (much longer than a bridge and worth it cuz the speed limit is 85 mph).

And it was like everything was so inconvenient too, we went to Target so she could grab something and it was a huge ordeal! I lived within walking distance of a ralphs, trader joes, albertsons and the closest target was like 10 mins away (although relying on OCTA would make that take a lot longer).

In any case I was looking at Seattle about a month ago and wow!! I always thought it was cheaper than socal (though still expensive) but those housing prices have gone crazy!

Old 07-27-2017, 10:55 PM

L.A now has the second lowest home ownership rate in the nation at 48.3%

Nationwide it's 63.7%
Los Angeles-Orange County homeownership rate 2nd lowest in U.S., Inland Empire’s also dropping

Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
Well California is the Golden State for a reason.

Highest quality of life than anywhere in the nation.

Pay what you weigh.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:46 AM

337 posts, read 276,502 times
I still think it's the Bay Area. I would make less $$ in SF with the same job I have and pay significantly more to rent. As expensive as LA is, a single person who say makes $50,000 a year could afford to live in LA, renting a 1b1b (assume $1650 a month living in many nice Valley neighborhoods-not including utilities) but you would obviously have to budget and be living almost pay check to pay check.

$50k- income before taxes (assume state and fed taxes for the year would be a conservative high of $16,500)= $33,500 left. Rent would be $19,800 for the year ending you up with $13,700 for the year to be spent on utilities, fuel, food. $1,141 left for the month to be spent on those things. Internet and cable (I'm a sucker and still pay cable...I love my DVR and I am happy channel surfing!) $130 a month=$1,560 a year leaving you with $12,140. Say your water/gas/electric bill is $50 a month (mine is usually between $30-$60 a month) then that is $600 a year. Now you are at $11,540 left. For fuel (I'm just estimating here if you were to say have a car like a Camry and a commute that isn't more than 30 miles each way) say $100 a month=$1,200 a year=$10,340. Food (grocery shopping including the occasional casual restaurant visit) $200 a month=$2,400 a year=$7,940 left for any incidentals, shopping, car repairs (that to me is the big $$$$), entertainment, and savings. If you do end up getting a roommate in a 2 bedroom figure on maybe having $16,000 instead of $7,940 a pretty significant savings. Hopefully your employer pays your benefits LOL!!

I have to budget like this (but I'm a freak who actually likes budgeting and enjoys seeing what I can can come up with....) because I will not do the roommate thing (I was the roommate people hated because I would just shut my door and not party with you or your boyfriend) and have expensive hobbies (traveling at least 3x a year and beauty treatments LOL). I make though around $65,000 a year and have rent at $18,300 for the year. I still though have more than enough to pay into retirement, pay union fees, and really have enough $ to live comfortably if I do watch my spending. I rarely shop for clothing (if I do, I make sure I don't buy anything that I know is a bad deal), don't spend $$$ on entertainment really (there is rarely a movie I want to see in theaters....If I do it's always a matinee; I also am not into any particular bands enough to pay for concerts ). For food I'm a fairly boring eater. My staples are usually just some yogurts, Almond Silk, granola, fresh fruits and vegetables (if not too much more for organic, I do pay extra for that), and meat (beef ribs on occasion, wild caught Salmon is always in the freezer along with a few chicken breasts). My food vices.... vegan marshmallows, graham crackers, and milk chocolate along with Diet Coke (I know my food choices are contradictory LOL). I don't really go out to eat like in a sit down restaurant unless I have company, but I will however get something maybe once or twice a week like a burger, sandwich, Chinese, Mexican to go....none of this is ever more than maybe $12 including tax. Lastly, I rarely drink (I'd rather waste calories on food than booze) If I do that, it's typically a happy hour or just a basic mixed drink. With a tip and tax, no drink is ever more than $10 (and I never have more than 2 drinks).

All my math was purely estimated and I (obviously) was way too lazy to really pay attention to grammar and punctuation here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles