Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:49 PM

47 posts, read 71,629 times

Advertisements

I am 21 years old and I live with my parents. I have taken some community college classes but I dropped them because I was not interested and I did not want to waste money. My interests in life are working out, I love going to the gym. I also am interested in film theater and video games and traveling. The reason why I am writing this post is because I desire freedom in my life. Freedom in the truest sense. To be able to do what I want when I want where I want because I want to. To have this life style you need 2 things. Money and time. Most people who go to college to get a stable career obtain the first part which is money but time is almost always an issue having to be at work 5 days a week 9-5 mon-friday and only getting to travel 2 weeks of vacation a year. Recently I have thought about my life if I end up going to college which would likely end up in a physical therapy degree because I like working out and dieting/nutrition and I would just work 9-5 monday through friday come home same as my dad and mom already do. However what if I were to live in a car but free up my time at the cost of making less money? I currently work at mcdonalds as a part time job while living at home. Mc donalds pays minimum wage but one of the huge benefits of this type of job is that it is extraordinarily flexible, meaning that you can have whatever schedule you want basically. I come in from 6 am to 11 am so i only work 5 hour shifts but i do this 7 days a week. This gives me more overall freedom in my life than the traditional 2 days off sat-sun with a 9-5 style career however I make less money. If I were to live out of a car and work in this similar fashion 6 am - 11 am 5 hours a day 7 days a week I would have the entire day to do whatever I want. My interests include acting/film--gym membership which includes a shower which can be as cheap as 20$ a month and I have already calculated all my expenses which I will list out for you here so you can see for yourself.

California Car Insurance: 164$ a month.

My target monthly grocery bill: less than or equal to 200$

Gas: I assume since im living in my car ill be filling up atleast once every 2 weeks so that puts me at 80-100$ a month

Gym membership: a cheap gym thats open for 24 hours can have a monthly cost of 20$ a month they have showers a pool nice place to workout and keep fit and keep active during the day so your not just sitting in a car

Phone bill: 110$ a month

Netflix: Obviously I will need netflix so i can have tv from my phone this is only 8$ a month.

Health Insurance: Some plans are as low as 75$ a month so i just thought i would go up to 100$ a month

I wear contacts so the average annual yearly cost of contacts is 260$ this averages out to be 21$ a month. So plus an additional 21$

Plus 148$ for retirement savings can't neglect compound interest.

This all adds up to be 861$ a month for expenses. Now assuming I'm working at mcdonalds 6 am to 11 am 7 days a week 5 hours a day I am making 770 dollars every 2 weeks BUT this is not including taxes so just for the sake of this example ill take out 10% from 770 for uncle sams cut and i am making 693 every 2 weeks multiply that by 2 to get 1386 and subtract my monthly expenses 1386-861 I am left with 525 dollars a month having saved for retirement getting off work at 11 in the afternoon following my passion of being and actor in hollywood working out at the gym but the only downside is that I have to live in my car. Please tell me how this is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:03 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
but the only downside is that I have to live in my car. Please tell me how this is a bad idea.
Try actually living in your car for a week and get back to us.

I'm not being mean. I lived in my Chevy Vega hatchback for nearly 10 weeks back in the 1970s, and took showers in a locker room at Eastern Michigan University.

I was fortunate in that I finally secured an invisible place to park far in the back of this guy's yard (behind the garage) so the police didn't bother me any further. I was breaking various laws by not living in a rental and probably a day or so from being put in jail.

This type of lifestyle works a lot better in a converted van where you have a dedicated place to park away from prying eyes. There are various youtubes on this subject if you are really interested.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 PM

234 posts, read 499,149 times
I would recommend that you go to school and get a degree in something that interests you. Sure, many people work 9-5 in many fields, but many do not. You can work remotely, work part time, get jobs that don't require 9-5. Lots of options even in feels that seemingly require a 9-5 schedule. I have one family member who is a personal fitness trainer. She lived in Boston for many years. When her family moved to Hawaii she moved her business there and trains many clients still in Boston online. She definitely does not work a standard 9-5 schedule. Living out of a car might make financial sense, but I would think would get old pretty quick. Go to school and get a degree.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:21 PM

817 posts, read 752,939 times
You sound like a typical entitled millennial. Where did your parents go wrong?

Of course everybody wants the freedom you desire, but you have to support yourself and earn it.

You don't have to go to school, there are plenty of self made people that are entrepreneurial and hustle.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:24 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post

Of course everybody wants the freedom you desire, but you have to support yourself and earn it.

You don't have to go to school, there are plenty of self made people that are entrepreneurial and hustle.
I agree he should just try welfare like the rest of America and waste more of my paycheck why not

Old 06-26-2017, 01:25 PM

817 posts, read 752,939 times
I know a few multimillionaires out here, and they all have one thing in common. They all invested about 10,000 HOURS chasing something that became fruitful and multiplied into eventual residual income. Residual income is the key to freedom and wealth, having your money earn other money, and having other people earn money for you.

You are young and single with nothing to lose. This is the absolute prime time of your life to discover these things and chase after them. You do this before you get tied down with any kind of wife or kids

Old 06-26-2017, 01:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Based on your previous threads, it appears you're depressed and lost. I suggest seeking professional assistance that can help you see the potential in life, instead of trying to make a lifestyle out of what is an undoubtedly terrible way to live.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:

We've raised an entire generation of kids who want everything for nothing aka the participation trophy generation

Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM

47 posts, read 71,629 times
Quote:

exactly in what way would I be relying on someone else??? "but you have to support yourself and earn it" The act of me living out of a car is to save money so that I can support myself and accomplish goals that I have set in my life. Did you not read what I said? If I pay my car insurance I have the right to sit in my car don't I? How am I not supporting my self . I'd also like to know how that makes me entitled considering I mentioned that Id work 7 days a week. You sound like you are a bigot with a very negative attitude towards young people. If someone says I will work 7 days a week how is that person entitled ??? you sound like a bigot

Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
try it out & see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles