Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Will Garcetti change his tune soon if Federal funds may be denied to LA?

House joins Trump in declaring war on sanctuary cities - CNNPolitics.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I really like that name No Sanctuary for Criminals Act

I'm thinking Garcetti probably won't change his tune and will ramp up his talk about taking to the streets to fight Trump.

He doesn't really care because it's not his money.

Now if it was his $1.6 million (probably worth more since he bought it a year ago) investment property on the line he'd probably change his tune.

Mayor Eric Garcetti picks up an investment property in Mid-Wilshire - LA Times

Old 06-29-2017, 10:15 PM

Andddd
Just as I predicted...

Garcetti has a lot of nerve to lecture about what makes the city safer since crime including violent crime has skyrocketed on his watch. Now you have a lot of crime happening in what were once known to be safe and low crime neighborhoods too.

And he's STILL calling illegal aliens , 'immigrants'. What an insult to legal immigrants.

----

"“Safety in our city depends on a spirit of trust, cooperation and partnership that we have built carefully over decades in Los Angeles,” he said. “The policies that guide our officers’ interaction with immigrants are well within the law, and the legislation passed today in the House would do nothing to make our communities better or safer."

LA mayor slams House immigration bills: They ‘do nothing’ to make us safer

Last edited by jm1982; 06-29-2017 at 10:27 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 11:53 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
What Trump supporters listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ0ftoiIQxU

What Goofcetti listens to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwLtcOQ9aM

Old 06-30-2017, 12:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
All L.A. County Representatives voted against Kate's Law except for Steve Knight, the only Republican whose district includes territory in L.A. County (although his district is split between L.A. County and Ventura County, he voted for it) and Grace Napolitano (who did not vote).. There were two California Democrats who voted for Kate's Law, though - Jackie Speier of San Francisco and Eric Swalwell of East Alameda County. Speier is normally very liberal and Swalwell a more moderate liberal. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll344.xml

Old 06-30-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Andddd
Just as I predicted...

Garcetti has a lot of nerve to lecture about what makes the city safer since crime including violent crime has skyrocketed on his watch. Now you have a lot of crime happening in what were once known to be safe and low crime neighborhoods too.

And he's STILL calling illegal aliens , 'immigrants'. What an insult to legal immigrants.

----

"“Safety in our city depends on a spirit of trust, cooperation and partnership that we have built carefully over decades in Los Angeles,” he said. “The policies that guide our officers’ interaction with immigrants are well within the law, and the legislation passed today in the House would do nothing to make our communities better or safer."

LA mayor slams House immigration bills: They ‘do nothing’ to make us safer
Although I'm all for controlling illegal immigration and minimizing it to the smallest level possible, and I support Kate's Law and the sanctuary city bill, I really don't think illegals had that much to do with the rise in crime.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Although I'm all for controlling illegal immigration and minimizing it to the smallest level possible, and I support Kate's Law and the sanctuary city bill, I really don't think illegals had that much to do with the rise in crime.
I'm not sure if illegals had much to do with the rise in crime either . But , where is that data ? They seem to lump illegals together with legal immigrants . There is also the not asking for residency status by the police so do we even know ?

I just meant in general it's ridiculous Garcetti is trying to say he knows what keeps the city safe when crime has gone up drastically during his reign .

Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Do they not account for a "rise" in crime? Maybe not in terms of "crime per capita" when you include their heads, but the fact is, if you remove an illegal alien who commits a crime from the country, that is, in fact, less crime. The removal of an illegal alien who commits a crime will not create a vacuum by which an otherwise law-abiding citizen will suddenly take up crime to fill the void left behind by the illegal. Subtraction by subtraction.

Further, the majority of illegal aliens are at the least committing the felony of identity theft or ID fraud by using someone else's social security number or data. And it's a not-insignificant amount of them that take it a step further and leverage that information to obtain personal credit in the other person's name.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm not sure if illegals had much to do with the rise in crime either . But , where is that data ? They seem to lump illegals together with legal immigrants . There is also the not asking for residency status by the police so do we even know ?

I just meant in general it's ridiculous Garcetti is trying to say he knows what keeps the city safe when crime has gone up drastically during his reign .
I don't think it has much to do with immigrants of any kind.

The rise has more to do with L.A. being a sanctuary city for the homeless than a sanctuary city for illegals.

Now, sanctuary cities for illegals are illegal and unconstitutional, and should not be tolerated for all sorts of reasons, but I don't think they make that much difference when it comes to crime. There are other factors that are more important.

Last edited by majoun; 06-30-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Do they not account for a "rise" in crime? Maybe not in terms of "crime per capita" when you include their heads, but the fact is, if you remove an illegal alien who commits a crime from the country, that is, in fact, less crime. The removal of an illegal alien who commits a crime will not create a vacuum by which an otherwise law-abiding citizen will suddenly take up crime to fill the void left behind by the illegal. Subtraction by subtraction.

Further, the majority of illegal aliens are at the least committing the felony of identity theft or ID fraud by using someone else's social security number or data. And it's a not-insignificant amount of them that take it a step further and leverage that information to obtain personal credit in the other person's name.
I tried explaining that to someone in the illegal immigration sub forum and they keep jumping through 3d hoops to make it sound like new criminals will replace illegals being deported. Cant violate the laws of thermodynamics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles