Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 07:20 AM

817 posts, read 753,062 times

Advertisements

It Would-be nice to have a factual conversation for a little while, instead of living in dreamland. Why do we see so many threads about people that live here, or want to move here, and then wonder about their housing situation? They wonder if they're gonna find something in their price range next to their employer? All they want is a "teeny tiny house"...."can I squeeze into Culver City for $2100/mo?"

NO! YOU CAN'T!

Look, It might not be cool, it might not be fun to talk about but this is factual reality. A lot of people want to live in El Lay. More than it can handle. So the price goes up. The jobs "West of Pasadena" pay better than the jobs "east of Pasedena". This is the reason people drive their little cars on the road every day.

It's just time to have frank discussions with people that come to this board, and tell them that they might need to look in Covina, or Riverside, and commute while they're working in El Lay. There is a housing and rental crisis going on and it isn't going away anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Is Pasadena some sort of border city between the West and East side? I'm genuinely curious since I'm new living in the area and still not familiar with long standing regional references. Thx.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Is Pasadena some sort of border city between the West and East side? I'm genuinely curious since I'm new living in the area and still not familiar with long standing regional references. Thx.
Haven't you noticed a difference on each side of the 57?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:32 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
This is like the inquiries we get from people from the E Coast, who just got some mid-level-type job at a tech company in Silicon Valley. They always say they're looking for an "executive home" close to work. Then they give us their budget. Everyone tells them their only hope for ANY home, let along anything close to an "executive" one, within commute distance of work is across the Bay, south of Oakland.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
It Would-be nice to have a factual conversation for a little while, instead of living in dreamland. Why do we see so many threads about people that live here, or want to move here, and then wonder about their housing situation? They wonder if they're gonna find something in their price range next to their employer? All they want is a "teeny tiny house"...."can I squeeze into Culver City for $2100/mo?"

NO! YOU CAN'T!

Look, It might not be cool, it might not be fun to talk about but this is factual reality. A lot of people want to live in El Lay. More than it can handle. So the price goes up. The jobs "West of Pasadena" pay better than the jobs "east of Pasedena". This is the reason people drive their little cars on the road every day.

It's just time to have frank discussions with people that come to this board, and tell them that they might need to look in Covina, or Riverside, and commute while they're working in El Lay. There is a housing and rental crisis going on and it isn't going away anytime soon.
I feel some anger and discontent in your post. Chill dude. The reason people ask is because they dont know. To them 2100 rent or 450k house is huge money where they live. That's why people ask. Just don't read or hit the back button. Don't give yourself a stroke

Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is like the inquiries we get from people from the E Coast, who just got some mid-level-type job at a tech company in Silicon Valley. They always say they're looking for an "executive home" close to work. Then they give us their budget. Everyone tells them their only hope for ANY home, let along anything close to an "executive" one, within commute distance of work is across the Bay, south of Oakland.
That's funny .. I've never heard the time "executive home " .. guess it must be some east coast term .

Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You mean there's nothing "affordable" north of Oakland in, say, Richmond, Hercules, Pinole, Vallejo or Benicia?

You could get quite the "executive" home in any of those places and still have a closer commute than someone living in, say, Brentwood, Mountain House, Tracy or Modesto...right?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
It is kind of surprising that people can't look up prices for themselves.

But I can see how some people have questions about neighborhoods if they aren't familiar with the area .

Also what's with all the people saying they make $100,000 or more but can't work remotely from anywhere , but decide to move to L.A .

Old 07-14-2017, 01:23 AM

88 posts, read 89,699 times
I didn't know jobs west of Pasadena paid more until I moved here. My first job in LA was in pasadena and salary was low compared to downtown LA. I took it because it was closer to San Gabriel and I don't want a long commute. I rather have low pay and a shorter commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles