Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Just because you're a US citizen doesn't mean you automatically act in the best interests of the community or the country. Just look at Congress, the CA gov't, or local property owners who are all too happy to sell to Chinese cash buyers.

Ordinarily I would have no problem with gentrification at all. Neighborhoods change, existing structures decay.

However, these are not ordinary conditions when you have local home prices DOUBLING in the past 5 years:

Southern California Median Home Price Doubles In Five Years | Zero Hedge

Obviously, rising home prices will have a spillover effect into the rental market. Rents unfortunately will be rising in working-class neighborhoods anyway; there is no need to worsen the problem by allowing hipsters, artists, and techies to take over the neighborhood. Next thing you know, a formerly gritty but affordable area becomes a prime target for developers, flippers, and foreigners.
Sure but that also comes with the territory of living in a city like Los Angeles .

I'm not sure where people got the idea that their little corner of the city would be protected from market forces and supply and demand .

Look nobody wants a rent hike or wants to get priced out being able to buy a home .. but the alternative of more government control of private property is much worse .

It would take away the confidence of people investing in the area in general .

Business people and investors don't like uncertainty like that .

We don't need policies that turn us more into Venezuela or Cuba .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:00 AM

48 posts, read 53,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
These anti gentrification radicals have already pushed an art gallery out of Boyle Heights.

Now their new target is an independently run coffee shop that keeps prices low for the community .

Just wondering , why is this accepted ?

Imagine if let's say a Hispanic person wanted to open a business in an area with a white majority and white people called for boycotts and started attacking them and calling them all sorts of names .

I know this type of thing isn't on most people radar right now but what happens if/when things get violent .
Some of the actions against the art gallery sounded violent which forced them to leave for their own safety .

It's hard enough opening a small business in L.A but I really feel for these business owners that are just trying to do something decent and getting harrased like this .

We have a mayor and city council that alway seems to be standing up for " tolerance"
Why don't we hear a peep out of them on this issue ?

Doesn't fit the agenda ?

https://thepridela.com/2017/07/is-pinkwashing-real/
Councilman Jose Huizar is. Maybe you should go talk to him and tell him you support his ideas.

Race-based attacks on Boyle Heights businesses prompt this L.A. councilman to take sides - LA Times

Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandarin View Post
Councilman Jose Huizar is. Maybe you should go talk to him and tell him you support his ideas.

Race-based attacks on Boyle Heights businesses prompt this L.A. councilman to take sides - LA Times
Yeah I saw that , glad he is speaking about it .Took him long enough .

Old 07-30-2017, 05:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I didnt rail against high rental/housing prices . I was just stating fact/reality .

Nice try to spin it though ..
You spin every thing dude. Now you've made a new thread about gentrification on the main California forum. Are you for it or against it?

Old 07-30-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You spin every thing dude. Now you've made a new thread about gentrification on the main California forum. Are you for it or against it?
I'm pro gentrification/revitalization. What did I spin?

Old 07-31-2017, 01:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Remember nothing stays the same. If an area does not improve, it gets worse. Which is best?

Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
I am hearing that people from all over LA and even OC are patronizing Weird Wave. It's actually good coffee and cheap.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am hearing that people from all over LA and even OC are patronizing Weird Wave. It's actually good coffee and cheap.
It would be great if they started opening locations in other hoods and helped to gentrify them .

They need locations in East LA , Pacoima ,Compton ,Watts etc

Old 07-31-2017, 02:50 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I went over there last week with my wife just to tweek the "protesters". Had a great time; very good coffee, reasonable prices and the owner and staff are great. The place was BUSY! It's a small space but they make the most of it. There were all types of folks there; caucasian, asian, hispanic, young and old (me). The owner said they are thrilled with how the business is going and has the support of many of the local Boyle Heights residents and merchants.
Btw; there's a MacDonalds across the street and a Starbucks nearby.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
I went over there last week with my wife just to tweek the "protesters". Had a great time; very good coffee, reasonable prices and the owner and staff are great. The place was BUSY! It's a small space but they make the most of it. There were all types of folks there; caucasian, asian, hispanic, young and old (me). The owner said they are thrilled with how the business is going and has the support of many of the local Boyle Heights residents and merchants.
Btw; there's a MacDonalds across the street and a Starbucks nearby.
Cool. I'm coming up to B Heights later in August when I stay DT at the Grand. When traffic is light, and after I have gone to the Broad, I'll hit weird wave before my dinner at Lawry's...priorities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles