Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I am shocked that this is happening. I live in a community full of different ethnic groups and we all want nice things. We are tired of the 99 cent stores. Incredible.
Yeah , just upsetting to see people try and open a decent business and put so much money and effort into it and dealing with stuff like this . Running a business is already a difficult thing.

I had read that they looked at the area and felt this business would fill a void and be a good thing for the community.
I just wonder if anyone from the city has spoken up about this that it's not acceptable .
I haven't seen anything yet , but please post if someone sees anything .

Not saying that will fix anything necessarily but at least these people will realize they are being watched and to not do anything stupid .
There should be a message that we are a city of tolerance everywhere .. even Boyle Heights .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
We have groups like BLM who openly preach that whites and asians should not be able to own things or acquire any more wealth and step aside and let the black and brown people have their turn. They even think that if a white or asian person get a high paying job offer that they should turn it down so that a person of color can get the job. And for whatever reason they don't consider asians to be minorities or people of color because they happen to be doing better financially as a group then other minority groups. And now they have brainwashed white millennials on college campuses to become self hating minions in their causes. So you get these professional protesters who are being funded by these bigger groups to intimidate anyone that doesn't agree with their agenda.

All of these movements are hate based, they are divisive and they will only lead to the downfall of our society and culture if people just keep giving in to them
Yeah, this victim mindset that the BLM people have is what alienates ME from their cause, and I'm black. I believe that you put in the hard work, it will pay off for you. I don't want or need special favors or incentives to work my butt off to get ahead in society. The reverse racism is just as bad as regular racism. Neither have a place in a civilized society.

But back to the topic at hand. If I were in the vicinity of that coffee shop in Boyle Heights, I'd go there just to support them. As I said previously, I hope they stand their ground, and if things get out of hand, they should call the police, or better yet, call a reporter of one of the local stations to do a special report on the problems of a new business opening in Boyle Heights.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I think they need to hire the "A TEAM".

Bob.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I love how their argument is BH "Ain't what it used to be!".

Yes, God forbid it stops looking like a complete trash heap with check cashing stores and liquor stores on every street.
And they assume that the people there are all renters. Alternatively, we are supposed to believe that the property owners in BH hate that it's getting better because they too want to keep BH "real".

Old 07-14-2017, 12:43 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
This **** is crazy. I mean, I get some of the anti-gentrification sentiment on a meta level - if you take an area that's historically priced lower than the surrounding areas, that area serves a need by providing a place for those without spending power. If you gentrify it and fill it up with Trader Joe's and art galleries and a Sur La Table and then start renovating all the local housing into lofts and renaming the buildings with trendy one-word names, all of a sudden costs spike and the existing locals get priced out of their own homes. We've all seen it happen a million times - areas that were traditionally blue collar become $600 a square foot condos owned by people who only eat organic and the wife decides she's tired of sitting at home so starts some pointless wine bar that serves $20 a plate tapas. It sucks for the people getting pushed out, but maybe it should be a motivator to increase your station in life?

But...I mean, come on. Resorting to mob intimidation tactics in order to keep your ****ty area ****ty?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Yeah, this victim mindset that the BLM people have is what alienates ME from their cause, and I'm black. I believe that you put in the hard work, it will pay off for you. I don't want or need special favors or incentives to work my butt off to get ahead in society. The reverse racism is just as bad as regular racism. Neither have a place in a civilized society.

But back to the topic at hand. If I were in the vicinity of that coffee shop in Boyle Heights, I'd go there just to support them. As I said previously, I hope they stand their ground, and if things get out of hand, they should call the police, or better yet, call a reporter of one of the local stations to do a special report on the problems of a new business opening in Boyle Heights.
Reading this brings back some hope of sanity.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
We have groups like BLM who openly preach that whites and asians should not be able to own things or acquire any more wealth and step aside and let the black and brown people have their turn. They even think that if a white or asian person get a high paying job offer that they should turn it down so that a person of color can get the job. And for whatever reason they don't consider asians to be minorities or people of color because they happen to be doing better financially as a group then other minority groups. And now they have brainwashed white millennials on college campuses to become self hating minions in their causes. So you get these professional protesters who are being funded by these bigger groups to intimidate anyone that doesn't agree with their agenda.

All of these movements are hate based, they are divisive and they will only lead to the downfall of our society and culture if people just keep giving in to them
BLM is not a pan black/Latino anti white/Asian group, I don't know what you're talking about. It's a predominately black movemenet against police brutality (not saying that their accusations are always correct) and they accept allies of whatever race.

And Asian people are brown

Old 07-14-2017, 03:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
BLM is not a pan black/Latino anti white/Asian group, I don't know what you're talking about. It's a predominately black movemenet against police brutality (not saying that their accusations are always correct) and they accept allies of whatever race.

And Asian people are brown
It's primary about hate and violence actually like a black KKK. They are interested in reparations and flipping the perceived power dynamics in this country with a far fetched plan that Blacks should have their turn to be in power

https://policy.m4bl.org/reparations/

Black activists are angry this video of a college take over went viral – TheBlaze

Like many groups it may have been started by people with good intentions but the boots on the ground who are the defacto public face of BLM are thugs who are just looking for an excuse to beat white people up

Old 07-14-2017, 05:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah , just upsetting to see people try and open a decent business and put so much money and effort into it and dealing with stuff like this . Running a business is already a difficult thing.

I had read that they looked at the area and felt this business would fill a void and be a good thing for the community.
I just wonder if anyone from the city has spoken up about this that it's not acceptable .
I haven't seen anything yet , but please post if someone sees anything .

Not saying that will fix anything necessarily but at least these people will realize they are being watched and to not do anything stupid .
There should be a message that we are a city of tolerance everywhere .. even Boyle Heights .
What and irritate the people who vote for them.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
It's primary about hate and violence actually like a black KKK. They are interested in reparations and flipping the perceived power dynamics in this country with a far fetched plan that Blacks should have their turn to be in power

https://policy.m4bl.org/reparations/

Black activists are angry this video of a college take over went viral – TheBlaze

Like many groups it may have been started by people with good intentions but the boots on the ground who are the defacto public face of BLM are thugs who are just looking for an excuse to beat white people up
Well I understand there are extremists, however most of the people who would be considered part of BLM are not extremists. And it's a little absurd to compare them to the KKK, who actually lynched black people.

What I was saying though, is that there's not some sort of pan-black and Latino force against whites and Asians, even in BLM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles