Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:19 PM

12,305 posts, read 8,008,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I'm an outsider, but it seems like LA just isn't a big football town. If it was, the second biggest market in the US wouldn't have lost the Rams and the Raiders in the first place or been without a team for 20 years. Seems like a basketball and baseball town. Am I right? Even when they are not good, the Dodgers and Angels are always near the top in attendance. Of course they have the weather advantage, but still. Has the NHL even surpassed football in popularity?

I remember watching Raiders games on TV toward the end of their time at the LA Coliseum and the place seemed at least half empty.
Los Angeles lost the NFL because the citizens refused to buy a stadium with luxury boxes for the NFL owners. At best they got a LA City Councilman or two telling them that the Memorial Coliseum was just fine with some retrofitting and a few outlying cities offering a few concessions but still far behind what other city governments voted for the NFL buildings. In the end a speculator from St Louis built his own stadium and before the thing was built a second team moved to Los Angeles to fill it on the weekends that the Rams were out of town. I half expect UCLA to move in also if there is some sort of out with their Rose Bowl contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 03:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,291,670 times
Quote:
I'm an outsider, but it seems like LA just isn't a big football town. If it was, the second biggest market in the US wouldn't have lost the Rams and the Raiders in the first place or been without a team for 20 years. Seems like a basketball and baseball town. Am I right? Even when they are not good, the Dodgers and Angels are always near the top in attendance. Of course they have the weather advantage, but still. Has the NHL even surpassed football in popularity?

Well Basketball tickets are so high priced that in many cases, only the out of non-LA natives who relocated to LA and are well off can attend (i.e Jack Nicholson), and people like me who can come with the cash ,but I won't go because personally i don't like to feel ripped off even when I can afford something.

Alot of the "hardcore kill a man over a game" type of LA native sports fan can come up with the 10-15 bucks to get into a baseball stadium.

And of course football games are royally overpriced too, and unlike some other sports, the viewing experience is much better at home with replays, close-ups, commentary, no parking issues, non-rowdy fans and you don't have to watch the huddle. By the time the replay is over, teams are usually back at the line of scrimmage.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,141,114 times
Quote:

I remember watching Raiders games on TV toward the end of their time at the LA Coliseum and the place seemed at least half empty.
Not true. LA is probably the biggest football town in the country to be honest. During the time that the Rams and Raiders played here, the LA area was actually supporting 4 top football programs. The Rams, Raiders, USC, and UCLA. Now the same will happen again. What other region has 4 football teams? None. Plus, LA has an enormous NFL fanbase of people that follow all different NFL teams. What smaller markets have over LA is they simply have one team to choose from and that's it. It gets tougher choosing when you have so many options, but the love for football is strong here.

Also, it's been said millions of times but the only reason those teams left was due to LA not being willing to build them a stadium, not because of the fans.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:16 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,570,076 times
I don't know that they'll be all that well supported. I have Rams season tickets in a pretty nice section and, towards the end of last year, I could barely even give those things away. I almost felt bad for the guy who bought all of my Falcons tickets on Stubhub before the season even started for 3x face value because they were selling for 30% of face near the actual game. Those Niners tickets, I had a hard time selling for $25 a piece. If the team isn't doing well, the people don't come out.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,141,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I don't know that they'll be all that well supported. I have Rams season tickets in a pretty nice section and, towards the end of last year, I could barely even give those things away. I almost felt bad for the guy who bought all of my Falcons tickets on Stubhub before the season even started for 3x face value because they were selling for 30% of face near the actual game. Those Niners tickets, I had a hard time selling for $25 a piece. If the team isn't doing well, the people don't come out.
That applies to any other city though. LA is no different. If a team sucks in any other cities, fans don't show. For some reason LA gets put on the spotlight though. Not sure why.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:47 PM

141 posts, read 122,550 times
As it has been alluded the L.A. market is huge and can accommodate the pros, college, hs etc. Even folks who would rather spend sunday afternoons basket weaving.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:27 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,949,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
But loving a home team on a full time basis is like a loving a fine looking woman who welcomes his man with open arms. A great mingling feeling. Unless there's a good reason not to watch them play.
It's only like a woman if there are a lot of women out there that will ditch you for some other guy if you won't spend tons of your money to build her a new house every 10 or 15 years.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM

13,563 posts, read 10,282,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Los Angeles lost the NFL because the citizens refused to buy a stadium with luxury boxes for the NFL owners. At best they got a LA City Councilman or two telling them that the Memorial Coliseum was just fine with some retrofitting and a few outlying cities offering a few concessions but still far behind what other city governments voted for the NFL buildings. In the end a speculator from St Louis built his own stadium and before the thing was built a second team moved to Los Angeles to fill it on the weekends that the Rams were out of town. I half expect UCLA to move in also if there is some sort of out with their Rose Bowl contract.
It's good that local, often much-maligned, politicians have not fallen for offering excessive amounts of public funds to sports teams for new facilities. For a long time, other NFL franchises would often use LA as a stalking horse (threatening to move there) to extract public funding for new stadiums.

At least the Rams and the Chargers do have some local roots here so it does kind of make sense for them to relocate.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,672,256 times
Count me as a Raiders fan too. I could care less about the Chargers or Rams. The Rams are going to stink for long time to come after trading the farm for Jared Goff.

When the Raiders move to Vegas I will be there in a heartbeat!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:52 PM

523 posts, read 492,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Count me as a Raiders fan too. I could care less about the Chargers or Rams. The Rams are going to stink for long time to come after trading the farm for Jared Goff.

When the Raiders move to Vegas I will be there in a heartbeat!
u have to respect both the Rams and Chargers in your hometown. let your LA friends know, well only the part about the Rams since the Chargers are your rivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles