Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 PM

337 posts, read 276,465 times

Advertisements

I recently lost my position in San Diego due to budget cuts. I've applied for positions in my field throughout Ventura County, Los Angeles County, Orange County, and San Diego County. I have an interview in a week for a position that is in South LA, 90059. The hours fluctuate and I would be driving from Chatsworth (where my family is). Mondays appear to be the worst days as the hours are 8-3:15. I used Google Maps and played with routes. It appears to be a 55-1hr25 min drive if I leave at 6:20 via the 5. Coming back is even worse. If I leave at 3:45 it would take 1hr-2hr10 whether I take the 5, 405, or 101. I looked into public transportation and it would be 2hr15min taking 2 buses. I also looked into taking an Uber from the site to Union Station (would be around $12 with Uber Pool) which is around 35 min and then take the Metrolink which is 1hr so a 1hr35min ride. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays it's not too bad 1:15-8:30, and then on Saturday it's 8-12:15 but there appear be traffic both ways then.

I'm starting to think I should just tell them that unless I move closer to where the job is, thanks but no thanks as it's only a 30 hour a week position with no possibilities for more hours. I don't know if I would lose my mind driving that many hours a week. I played around with Google maps with routes 170 and the 210 but that appeared to be longer.

Is this realistic???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 PM

266 posts, read 271,635 times
That woulf be rough not sure a 30 hour week job would pay off. Since your on the Hunt, maybe you can find a good Skank to live with closer to the job.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Seems like it will be a crappy commute either way , depends how bad you need the job I guess .
It doesn't sound like it's your "dream job" otherwise you probably wouldn't even question the commute .

Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
LA city politicians want you to ride a bicycle. Why don't you ride a bicycle? (joking)

Old 07-29-2017, 09:37 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
LA city politicians want you to ride a bicycle. Why don't you ride a bicycle? (joking)
Riding a bike will make you cool like this guy .

Old 07-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
LOL while I think it's great to promote things that you get exercise from and helps the environment, I always thought it was kind of a dumb campaign considering how many people in LA actually have commutes over a few miles.

I'm at the beach in San Diego where a ton of people bike ride when just sticking in the area to go to restaurants or bars but given (at least in my neighborhood) the high number of DUIs, I actually just stick to bike riding on boardwalks or the side walk.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Seems like it will be a crappy commute either way , depends how bad you need the job I guess .
It doesn't sound like it's your "dream job" otherwise you probably wouldn't even question the commute .
The joke is, I actually would like the job, but I would like it more if it were closer! The pay is fairly good and there's a great health benefits package with it (despite only being 30 hours a week). I just don't know if I'm someone who could handle a commute like this (I know millions of people do this commute and work longer hours).

They had 11 openings (30 hours-might be different times though also with benefits) throughout LA County. Only 4 out of 11 of them would actually be commutes less than an hour each way. One office though does't have much to do with the other.

I did look on Craigslist into apartments. I really didn't want to have to do that since I'm actually comfortable at my parents' house, would be able to save a considerable amount of $, and dog has a huge yard to play in (and would have company during the day). Seems like a 1b1b in decent areas not more than 45 minutes each way would run around $1,700-$1,900. It just is a lot of $$ to spend on a 30 hour a week job. On the other hand the commute would be the worst on Mondays... Most major holidays run on Mondays so the office would be closed and I could try to use my "sick" and personal day on Monday (I know I cannot make it look too obvious).

Old 07-29-2017, 01:55 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,399 times
Not worth it especially for a non-full time job in one of the worst parts of LA. That is going to be a 3 hour round trip commute minimum and possibly a 4 hour round trip on a bad day. And forget either public transportation or Uber.

Unless this is a job with massive potential that is a launchpad into a better position elsewhere, it doesn't make sense at all.

It will be better to live at home where you're in a good spot, save money, and just keep searching for something hopefully in or near the Valley.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Not worth it especially for a non-full time job in one of the worst parts of LA. That is going to be a 3 hour round trip commute minimum and possibly a 4 hour round trip on a bad day. And forget either public transportation or Uber.

Unless this is a job with massive potential that is a launchpad into a better position elsewhere, it doesn't make sense at all.

It will be better to live at home where you're in a good spot, save money, and just keep searching for something hopefully in or near the Valley.
I'm great at making decisions for other people, but awful at making them for myelf .

The job would look great on my resume and most likely after 2 years, I could get a better location, but everything else doesn't seem promising specially since I would probably be spending at least 15 hours a week simply driving when it's a 30 hour a week job.

I recently interviewed for a job in San Diego (where I live) that sort of was similar, but didn't have a commute. The job though was between 40-50 hours a week, 30 minute lunch, few sick/vacation days, and you would have to pay half the benefits per month ($300 a month). The pay too was pretty bad (nonprofit). I basically would be paying to have a roof over my head (although a nice roof at the beach), food, and some expenses here and there. I would probably also have my dog in daycare regularly. The job itself actually seemed interesting but I think for such low pay and little "you" time, the nonprofit world really is a world meant for such a small group of people. I see what social workers get burnt out really quickly (this was sort of similar to that). It starts to change your philosophy (at least mine) when you realize you are educated, have a full time job, paid poorly, and have to pay half your insurance when you are helping those who usually don't want a job, get free or reduced housing, get meal voucher, and get free insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles