Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 AM

42,764 posts, read 26,041,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The homeless have all kinds of legal protection. Cleaning up bad areas like this just isn't going to happen until these problems are addressed at all levels of government with real, long term solutions. Get rid of homeless encampments? I'm all in favor of that - but just where are these people supposed to go? I know, somewhere we don't see them, so it's not our problem, right? That's how skid row functioned for years until gentrification took over Downtown L.A. The numbers of homeless people are growing, so they're more visible now, and this trend is not going to reverse itself. There are too many baby boomers who have no support system at all, and no real retirement money saved.

One step in the right direction would be to bring back the state mental hospitals; many people on the streets need to be monitored to make sure they're taking their anti-psychotic medication.

I often wonder what visitors think of our lovely city, that these problems are so visible and blatant, and yet nothing has been done to solve them. By the way, I voted "no" on the proposition to help the homeless a few months ago, because I felt it didn't go far enough - and the NIMBYs ("Not in my back yard!") would never go for such housing being anywhere near them. The money will be wasted on lawsuits, and it will take forever to see any real results.
yes, having homeless living on the streets is awful, there are over 5,000 of them where I live in Sacramento, but rounding them up and moving them out of an area is kind of like herding cats, they come back a few hours later. Bringing back mental hospitals isn't really an answer because we now have laws that only allow people to be confined against their will for mental health issues so long as they are a danger to themselves or others.

I don't have any great ideas, I wish I did...but I think what will eventually happen is we will have monitored tent cities with porta potties near the areas the homeless like to hang out in, that might at least keep them from sleeping on sidewalks and crapping in the gutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,031,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What do you mean by 'squatter'? was he homeless on the streets or illegally occupying someone's home? And while I commend you and your neighbors for reporting it, it doesn't seem like you took the next step of going up the chain of the command and if that doesn't work go to City Council meetings with your neighbors and notify the media in advance that you will all be there. I know it works because I worked in the public sector long enough to have learned what works and what doesn't.
While I agree in principle, how much time do you think the average LA citizen has to do this, and how many times do you need to experience deaf ears to stop wasting your time?

I used to be a frequent 311 user and I would also sometimes go the next step and contact the Councilor where I lived (Nury or Mitch)...but seriously I could call 311 ten times a day based on what I see in the west valley...who has time to keep doing this?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
While I agree in principle, how much time do you think the average LA citizen has to do this, and how many times do you need to experience deaf ears to stop wasting your time?

I used to be a frequent 311 user and I would also sometimes go the next step and contact the Councilor where I lived (Nury or Mitch)...but seriously I could call 311 ten times a day based on what I see in the west valley...who has time to keep doing this?
It doesn't take that much time. Government officials are afraid of one thing and one thing only - noisy citizens. Once you use that to your advantage, you can win these battles. And while Nury or Mitch are probably very nice they are there to buffer your complaints, not necessarily resolve them. By all means give them a chance to work on the issue but ask them but hold their feet to the fire ask them for a date when they will get back to you with an update on the issue, if they don't fix it, go over their head. I worked in law enforcement for 25 years and the one thing that got everyone in the department moving was an angry call from the Mayor or City Manager regarding a citizen complaint.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

In cities or towns that are well managed , where quality of life is a priority for the people running the city I imagine there isn't a need to be calling for things all the time .

Just like a car if it doesn't get regular maintenance like oil changes etc things turn into bigger problems .

There are people we are paying a lot of money to manage and take care of these things .

Another analogy would be an apartment building if it's managed well there aren't going to be very many complaints from the residents and they will enjoy a low stress experience . Whether that means making sure the boiler gets replaced before it goes out or evicting problem tenants that ruin the experience for others .

Los Angeles is without a doubt mismanaged .
The people running it allow problems grow into disasters .

Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,364,015 times
Quote:
It doesn't take that much time. Government officials are afraid of one thing and one thing only - noisy citizens. Once you use that to your advantage, you can win these battles. And while Nury or Mitch are probably very nice they are there to buffer your complaints, not necessarily resolve them. By all means give them a chance to work on the issue but ask them but hold their feet to the fire ask them for a date when they will get back to you with an update on the issue, if they don't fix it, go over their head. I worked in law enforcement for 25 years and the one thing that got everyone in the department moving was an angry call from the Mayor or City Manager regarding a citizen complaint.
What town or city did you work in though ? L.A is a different beast .

Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,561,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So I should go clean up the Orange Line bike path ? and get attacked by the violent homeless? Also I already "donate money" in the form of paying taxes to the corrupt city.
Yes, make sure you go at 3am and pin a $100 bill to your a**....LOL.

Dramatic much? People go in groups on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but you know that.

Quote:
You're right, I hear people whine all the time about stuff but when you try to nail them down as to what they have done about it, it's usually *crickets* or they say "well once I called the Police", my response, don't call the police go in person and ask for the watch commander, take notes of the conversation, if there was a promise that they would do something follow up and if they failed to do what they promised go to the police
chief or the sheriff, if you don't get results then go to the next city council meeting. It works, it just takes some commitment

Exactly, when you go in person you become a real person, it's also much easier to get dismissed over the phone. That goes with many situations including this one. But when you're standing in front of someone it takes it to a higher level. They also know you will come back in person AGAIN if nothing gets done.....LOL.

The person I mentioned earlier(who get results) does just what you said. He is a thorn in the side of a few cit council members, but he gets action when he speaks up about graffiti, or a homeless camp, or old furniture piling up on a sidewalk.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
In cities or towns that are well managed , where quality of life is a priority for the people running the city I imagine there isn't a need to be calling for things all the time .

Just like a car if it doesn't get regular maintenance like oil changes etc things turn into bigger problems .

There are people we are paying a lot of money to manage and take care of these things .

Another analogy would be an apartment building if it's managed well there aren't going to be very many complaints from the residents and they will enjoy a low stress experience . Whether that means making sure the boiler gets replaced before it goes out or evicting problem tenants that ruin the experience for others .

Los Angeles is without a doubt mismanaged .
The people running it allow problems grow into disasters .
Cities take quality of life issues seriously when they are held accountable by citizens. The same can be said of schools, the best schools are those with engaged active parents, if you don't believe me, ask a teacher

Old 07-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
What town or city did you work in though ? L.A is a different beast .
I don't publish where I worked on City-Data, just like I don't use my real name or offer my address or phone number. But LA is no different than any other city, it's gotten where it is because of an apathetic population. You can't change the whole city by yourself, but if you decide you want it badly enough you can effect change in your neighborhood

Old 07-19-2017, 01:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,151,025 times
The Orange bike path is 18 miles long so it's a country issue not city. This isn't like going to a city council meeting and saying my neighborhood park has a lot of trash in it.

We have a man made river trail for floods that goes from San Bernadino to the ocean. It goes through at least 3 counties. Lots of people like to use it to bike to the beach but people are scared to now because the homeless have taken it over. Crime has spiked around the trails with numerous bikes, packages stolen car break ins. Businesses have to wash away human waste and syringes and empty bottles. The cops can do nothing because it's County land, lots of people have begged for help at city council meetings nope nothing happens and now the ACLU is involved so it's hopeless. That trail is now no mans land

Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The Orange bike path is 18 miles long so it's a country issue not city. This isn't like going to a city council meeting and saying my neighborhood park has a lot of trash in it.

We have a man made river trail for floods that goes from San Bernadino to the ocean. It goes through at least 3 counties. Lots of people like to use it to bike to the beach but people are scared to now because the homeless have taken it over. Crime has spiked around the trails with numerous bikes, packages stolen car break ins. Businesses have to wash away human waste and syringes and empty bottles. The cops can do nothing because it's County land, lots of people have begged for help at city council meetings nope nothing happens and now the ACLU is involved so it's hopeless. That trail is now no mans land
Are you offering an excuse as to why it's futile to try to do anything about it? If it's a county issue you go to the county board of supervisors. If it's not LAPD's jurisdiction then it belongs to the Sheriff's Dept. Seriously, you are making it more complicated than it is. Here's a way to get started. Join https://nextdoor.com/ It's free and easy to use, there's even a way to invite your neighbors to join. Bring it up on the board, get other people involved and get 'er done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles