Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times

Advertisements

I noticed a lot more homeless hispanics in Highland Park the last couple of years. Steve Lopez of the LA Times did a story about the homeless here (HP) a year or so ago. As they lost their living quarters, many moved to the embankments of the Arroyo Seco wash next to HP. I saw no one camped on the side next to the golf course but there were so many on the freeway side. The encampments come and go but really is depressing to see.
About a year and a half ago I went to the DMV office in Lincoln Park and saw so many hispanic homeless there as well.
It does depend on the part of town you're in as to what group of homeless you see. Of course you never know who is going to hit you up for money. I was at a do it yourself car wash here a few months ago and an Asian woman solicited a "donation" . I declined as she and the white guy she was with were a little too insistent with their "request" . Their attitude was that I owed them. I didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In the valley there seem to be a lot of homeless Hispanics .
Also was at Echo Park lake recently and saw many homeless Hispanics sleeping there as well .
I not in the Valley too often. But I will take notice the next time.

Again, I go by what I see. Today I saw 3 homeless people(or at least people holding up signs asking for money) in the Eagle Rock area, all 3 were white men who appeared to be middle aged.

Saw on the news about a homeless camp being dismantled today in Anaheim, all the people I saw on the news were white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've seen homeless Latinos downtown, but by far I've seen more homeless Blacks and Whites.

Late at night you'll see homeless of all colors if you ride the bus (I did that in LA years ago, last few times I was in LA I did not take the bus at night).
That's what I see as well, black and whites. I don't like to see anyone in that situation. While it would make sense to see homeless Latino people in a city that is now the majority Latino, I am not seeing it. Like I said only one time has a homeless person who approached me been Latino, everyone else who has asked for money or I have seen, has been black or white.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Again, I go by what I see. Today I saw 3 homeless people(or at least people holding up signs asking for money) in the Eagle Rock area, all 3 were white men who appeared to be middle aged.

Saw on the news about a homeless camp being dismantled today in Anaheim, all the people I saw on the news were white.

That's what I see as well, black and whites. I don't like to see anyone in that situation. While it would make sense to see homeless Latino people in a city that is now the majority Latino, I am not seeing it. Like I said only one time has a homeless person who approached me been Latino, everyone else who has asked for money or I have seen, has been black or white.
The article, as well as some people on this thread reference it as a recent growing problem. Sometimes it takes awhile before things get more noticeable. Of course by the time something like this is noticeable it's truly a major problem.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I actually drove by Anaheim on Wednesday and saw a large camp and there were police there..not sure if it was the same one.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
I actually drove by Anaheim on Wednesday and saw a large camp and there were police there..not sure if it was the same one.
I assume your talking about the huge encampment along the 57?? That ones still there they evicted the encampment next to Honda center across the street so I imagine the big A encampment will get even bigger today

Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You haven't been around if you haven't seen druggies among the Latino homeless, or mentally ill.
In the areas of CA I have lived in and visited, is is primarily white and black. Mind you I have not been around LA that much.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
There are definitely homeless Latinos, who are noticeable in certain neighborhoods. (I agree the number has increased, too) Just less than the Latino percentage of L.A.'s population as a whole. L.A.'s homeless population does not have the demographics of L.A.'s population as a whole. The homeless population demographically resembles the population of Washington, DC more than that of L.A.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
I've heard many say on here it's usually mostly blacks and whites that are homeless in L.A but Latino homelessness has gone up 63 percent in L.A in the past year .

In my own experience I have definitely seen an increase in homeless Hispanics .

L.A times article below hints that some of these are illegal aliens too .

We've heard over and over from the pro illegal alien crowd that this is not the case.

-

Recent figures released by the county show that Latino homelessness shot up by 63% in the past year, a staggering number in a county that saw its overall homeless population soar by 23%, despite increasing efforts to get people off the street.

Latinos are particularly at risk, with many working up to two to three low-paying jobs to make ends meet. Those lacking legal status are more vulnerable these days as they struggle to find work and avoid public assistance, which they fear could flag them for eventual deportation.

Surge in Latino homeless population 'a whole new phenomenon' for Los Angeles - LA Times
There are many homeless Latinos in Santa Ana as well, based on what I witnessed recently. The China Price is harming their prospects.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I assume your talking about the huge encampment along the 57?? That ones still there they evicted the encampment next to Honda center across the street so I imagine the big A encampment will get even bigger today
I was there this weekend and I didn't see anything but tons of tents off the 57. Every day we become more and more like Kolkata.

Another Kolkata-like thing, California's ban on poisoning rodents. We are seeing massive infestations in trash cans by beaches.

https://www.kcet.org/redefine/in-eff...ld-rat-poisons

Old 07-19-2017, 12:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I was there this weekend and I didn't see anything but tons of tents off the 57. Every day we become more and more like Kolkata.

Another Kolkata-like thing, California's ban on poisoning rodents. We are seeing massive infestations in trash cans by beaches.

https://www.kcet.org/redefine/in-eff...ld-rat-poisons
Appears that Orange County has degraded like Los Angeles as it's gotten more liberal over the years.

Didn't know that about the ban on rodent poisoning , pretty gross about the infestations.

Wonder if that's why there are so many restaurant closures due to 'rodent infestation'.

Cockroaches, rodent droppings and flies shut down 11 Los Angeles restaurants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles