Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Yeah, great spots if you low income, like diabetes and want desperately to have heart disease.
Where do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Yeah, great spots if you are low income, like diabetes and want desperately to have heart disease.
Of course it wouldn't be good to eat that stuff on a regular basis, but every now and then is fine.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Tito's Tacos are so overrated. Their burritos are even worse. Much better Mexican food can be had at pretty much any corner hole in the wall Mexican food stand.

Krispy Kreme? You can get those anywhere. Why not Randy's Donuts? At least your out of town guests can get themselves photographed with a landmark L.A. location to show their friends at home.

I agree about Phillippe's, great French dip. No one mentioned sushi as far as I could tell - nothing says L.A. cuisine better than sushi.

If in L.A., I would suggest trying the multitude of ethnic restaurants we have - many have mentioned Korean/BBQ, but there are also great Peruvian, Brazilian, Indian, Persian, Ethiopian, etc. restaurants that other areas lack. Might be a good time to venture out of the usual Mexican food rut. Not that there is anything wrong with Mexican food, but it is basically meat, tortillas, beans, rice, and cheese arranged in various states. Delicious, no doubt, but unvaried.
That's so not true! Have you ever heard of mole?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:25 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:
No, you're not alone - childhood favorite from back when Rite Aid was still Thrifty's. When I was a kid, a single scoop was 15c, a double was 30c, and a triple was 40c.

Rite Aid carries half gallon boxes of Thrifty's ice cream in certain flavors. My kids' favorite, Mothers circus animal ice cream, has to be hand dipped at the counter. Malted crunch can be purchased from the freezer.
I had guest coming back to LA durning one holiday and they specifically requested Chocolate Malted Crunch. Had to goto 3 stores to find it. While there, another woman picked up 4 containers of the same flavor. She said they were only here for a week and staying at a hotel.

The ice cream container is no longer 1/2 gallon boxes. A few years ago they were 2 for $5 now they shrunk the container and sell them for 2 for $7 on sale. It's almost doubled in price since the drought.

As far as food I think it is a lot about the experience since how long do you actually remember what the food taste like. People will wait in lines for over 10 minutes at a Kogi truck, but there is no lines at the Kogi stand in Whole Foods.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Yeah, great spots if you are low income, like diabetes and want desperately to have heart disease.
Hey, remember these are just suggestions for people who are on vacation and want to try some of the places Los Angeles is noted for, like IN-N-Out. I agree with you, no one should base their regular eating out habits on those suggested, but for fun and a vacation eat what you want.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:01 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
I don't live in LA but I visit every so often, and absolutely love it esp the food scene. It would be hard to say what is a "must try" because there are so many excellent options across various cuisines - safe to say, I'd travel to/visit LA just to eat!.

Some of my recommendations from my recent visit a couple of weeks ago:

Newport Seafood House (locations in Beverly Hills and SGV): try their lobster or dungeness crabs with ginger, green chili and scallions.

Guelaguetza (Koreatown, right of Olympic Blvd): Oaxacan Mexican cuisine, mole sauce is most excellent.

Jitlada Thai (Thai Town, Hollywood): delicious and very spicy curries, especially loved their green curry.

Badmaash (DTLA, close to Little Tokyo): fun and tasty modern Indian fusion cuisine.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,537 times
A friend of mine from Texas likes to go to Islands for burgers and fries when she comes to LA.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
A friend of mine from Texas likes to go to Islands for burgers and fries when she comes to LA.
That's the saddest story I've ever heard. You need to start being a better friend

Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 PM

240 posts, read 240,341 times
Seconding Salsa & Beer!

Also our go-to is Central Market in DTLA with guests. We make a day and have some of the pupusas there in the pupusaria, then head over to The Last Bookstore (most of our family/friends are also bibliophiles like us), lunch at Coles, and ice cream at the Peddlery.

Drool.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,786 times
Quote:
Might be a good time to venture out of the usual Mexican food rut. Not that there is anything wrong with Mexican food, but it is basically meat, tortillas, beans, rice, and cheese arranged in various states. Delicious, no doubt, but unvaried.
The same can be said about a lot of other types of food

American? It's just meat, potatoes, bread

Italian? It's just noodles, sauce and bread

Asian? It's just meat, noodles, rice

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles