Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 PM

48 posts, read 53,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
1. you're job is there
2. you have low self esteem and think your zip code will make up for it to a bunch of random strangers on the internet
Yeah, but the job better make up for all the downsides of living there!

My wife is living in Brentwood for the month while she works at UCLA Reagan. Hope she doesnt like it too much... If we have to pay a mortgage and rent an apartment ucla adjacent. That would suck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 01:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandarin View Post
Yeah, but the job better make up for all the downsides of living there!

My wife is living in Brentwood for the month while she works at UCLA Reagan. Hope she doesnt like it too much... If we have to pay a mortgage and rent an apartment ucla adjacent. That would suck...
That's increasingly not the case when we keep getting people posting here with job offers for $200k+ who can't afford to even rent in Santa Monica and if they have kids and need good schools they are considering hour+ commutes just to be able to accept a job on the westside

Old 07-31-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Ok, so what if the information is 5 years old. It is just as relevant if not more so today. At least five years ago there was a Vons over on Fair Oaks that was open, but it ain't opened now and the Wells Fargo that is still in there looks creepy and ghetto. Do you live in Pasadena or just spouting off like you do. I live in Pasadena and I live alittle SW of Hastings Ranch below the freeway actually. Hastings Ranch is pretty much in Sierra Madre and it sure looks like because the whole area looks good compared to say Washington and Fair Oaks.

You say that things have changed from 5 years ago but they really haven't. The majority of crime that happens in Pasadena happens ABOVE the freeway and around Lake, Los Robles, and Fair Oaks. The majority of problem we have in my area is the homeless or transients that live in the halfway houses off of Colorado.
Quote:
Just because the houses are expensive doesn't mean the neighborhood is good. When I first moved to Pasadena 5 years ago the first thing people asked me when they found I live here is did I move above or below the freeway.
Hastings Ranch is in the City of Pasadena and north of the freeway and you say the area looks good. Therefore you just admitted that you were wrong in your previous post. Do you actually live in Pasadena, because it just sounds like you're just spouting off like you do?
I have lived in PUSD for over 20 years and went to high school in Pasadena. I can assure you I know the area much better than you do.
Also, just as an FYI the reason they closed the Von's is due to demographic changes because Hispanics don't shop at Von's unlike the majority AA community that is currently getting priced out of NW Pasadena. If you know much about demographic trends you would realize that this is a sign of gentrification in the area.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The crime over in certain parts of Altadena that border Pasadena, not to mention the schools. That is what makes it a bad place to live. It's sad that people are forced to send their child from a neighborhood school in NW Pasadena to one that is much better in Central or Eastern Pasadena.
Oh so all the crime is in Altadena. Therefore there is none in Pasadena.

Last edited by TheMandarin; 07-31-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Ok, so what if the information is 5 years old. It is just as relevant if not more so today. At least five years ago there was a Vons over on Fair Oaks that was open, but it ain't opened now and the Wells Fargo that is still in there looks creepy and ghetto. Do you live in Pasadena or just spouting off like you do. I live in Pasadena and I live alittle SW of Hastings Ranch below the freeway actually. Hastings Ranch is pretty much in Sierra Madre and it sure looks like because the whole area looks good compared to say Washington and Fair Oaks.

You say that things have changed from 5 years ago but they really haven't. The majority of crime that happens in Pasadena happens ABOVE the freeway and around Lake, Los Robles, and Fair Oaks. The majority of problem we have in my area is the homeless or transients that live in the halfway houses off of Colorado.
Guess what, there's a lot more to Pasadena north of the freeway that isn't around Lake, Los Robles, and Fair Oaks. There are streets called Hill, Allen, Altadena Drive, Sierra Madre.

Since you seem to be somewhat geographically challenged let me show you a map. Yellow is north of the freeway. Red is Hastings ranch. Red is a subset of Yellow.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
That's increasingly not the case when we keep getting people posting here with job offers for $200k+ who can't afford to even rent in Santa Monica and if they have kids and need good schools they are considering hour+ commutes just to be able to accept a job on the westside
Nowadays an hour commute to the westside would also be on the westside.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:49 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Nowadays an hour commute to the westside would also be on the westside.
All the more reason to not want to live there. Even if I was independantly wealthy I would not chose to live on the westside. If I wanted to live by the beach in CA I would take Santa Barbara, San Diego, OC, Ventura, Santa Cruz areas. There is nothing about Santa Monica/Venice that is appealing to me at all. I used to have to spend a lot of time there for work when I first moved to LA and haven't been over there in about 6 years and I'll be glad if I never go back there again

Old 07-31-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
All the more reason to not want to live there. Even if I was independantly wealthy I would not chose to live on the westside. If I wanted to live by the beach in CA I would take Santa Barbara, San Diego, OC, Ventura, Santa Cruz areas. There is nothing about Santa Monica/Venice that is appealing to me at all. I used to have to spend a lot of time there for work when I first moved to LA and haven't been over there in about 6 years and I'll be glad if I never go back there again
Also the absolute worst drivers in the state I've encountered. Way worse than the Valley even Encino or Glendale. You take your life in your hands driving on the streets of the westside.

The best thing about SOME of the westside is the weather.

Last edited by majoun; 07-31-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 04:29 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandarin View Post
2 different cities. South Pas is much smaller and has better schools and less crime. Pasadena has more night life, jobs, culture, and top end of the market real estate.
Interestingly, the entire reason that South Pasadena was created way back when was to create their own school system so the "north of the freeway" kids couldn't attend. Homes in South Pasadena are also generally more expensive.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Interestingly, the entire reason that South Pasadena was created way back when was to create their own school system so the "north of the freeway" kids couldn't attend. Homes in South Pasadena are also generally more expensive.
Was there a freeway back then?

I thought that it was La Canada-Flintridge which broke away from PUSD so their kids wouldn't go to Muir...not South Pas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles