Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Question: Why is it that some locals do not consider the Antelope Valley a "true" desert? I mean, I'm pretty sure there are Joshua trees, athel tamarisks, cacti, and other desert whatnot... I don't quite get it...
I've heard some say the Antelope Valley is actually more like the mediterranean climate. Maybe that's why grapes and olive grows well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:01 PM

I am going to give grape a try. I'v always wanted to espalier fruit trees and I'll have the yard in this house to do it. Also a few years ago I toured the Napa Valley vineyards and saw how they grow grapes. They give it very minimal water through drip irrigation and this promotes the root go deeper in the ground to seek water. They also said the big grapes are not the sweetest because too much water. Smaller size grapes are actually sweeter. Interesting.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:18 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I've heard some say the Antelope Valley is actually more like the mediterranean climate. Maybe that's why grapes and olive grows well.
They do?!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
They do?!
NRS Spearheads Mediterranean Ecosystems Protection Group | Natural Reserve System

The first picture they show is Antelope Valley.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:25 AM

65 posts, read 112,118 times
I've not seen olives in AV. Grapes do well, I only tried Red Flame and Thompson seedless not the wine grapes. LA has the Mediterranean climate, AV has the hot summers for sure but not the rainy winters LA gets. Average rainfall here (and we do not get it as often anymore) is about 7 inches on the valley floor, compared to twice that in LA.The coastal fog rarely makes it into the valley tho it's quite common to see the "fog banks" hanging over the Tehachapis and San Gabriels. We do often get the nice afternoon breeze from the onshore flow. We also get freezing here every winter which LA does not so I would dispute that AV has a complete Mediterranean climate. Sunset gardening book has us for different microclimates than LA also.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:20 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,258 times
I would also tie Santa Clarita into the general geographical mix (even though it's quite developed, its a bit disconnected from the San Fernando Valley) ;along with the much smaller cities along 14 like Agua Dulce and Acton. The more Lancaster/Palmdale grow, the more the Sierra Pelona Valley/14 corridor is going to grow.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I would also tie Santa Clarita into the general geographical mix (even though it's quite developed, its a bit disconnected from the San Fernando Valley) ;along with the much smaller cities along 14 like Agua Dulce and Acton. The more Lancaster/Palmdale grow, the more the Sierra Pelona Valley/14 corridor is going to grow.
Thank you for resurrecting this thread.

Speaking of Santa Clarita, we visited the Valencia part and we like the area. I have a theory that is the more trees a City plants, the better & the more upscale the neighborhood will be. Look at Valencia, the City planners had the upscale in mind when they master planned this community with wide open streets and LOTS and LOTS of TREES. Whereas Newhall and Canyon Country, not so much.

Taking the same observation back to Palmdale, take a look at the Rancho Vista neighborhood, lots of mature trees, not sure the City did it or the developer did, but they did it right. Compare this neighborhood with say, the east side, hardly any trees at all, the contrast is obvious but so is the social economic status between the two.

As I take my observation and apply to different parts of LA and OC, I arrived at the same conclusion. Trees offer so much benefits to a neighborhood whether it's in a high desert or in a coastal city, people are drawn to trees.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:05 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thank you for resurrecting this thread.

Speaking of Santa Clarita, we visited the Valencia part and we like the area. I have a theory that is the more trees a City plants, the better & the more upscale the neighborhood will be. Look at Valencia, the City planners had the upscale in mind when they master planned this community with wide open streets and LOTS and LOTS of TREES. Whereas Newhall and Canyon Country, not so much.

Taking the same observation back to Palmdale, take a look at the Rancho Vista neighborhood, lots of mature trees, not sure the City did it or the developer did, but they did it right. Compare this neighborhood with say, the east side, hardly any trees at all, the contrast is obvious but so is the social economic status between the two.

As I take my observation and apply to different parts of LA and OC, I arrived at the same conclusion. Trees offer so much benefits to a neighborhood whether it's in a high desert or in a coastal city, people are drawn to trees.
The Eastside of Palmdale looks and feels more like Victorville, while the Westside of Palmdale looks and feels more like a part of Santa Clarita. It's strange you can have such a dichotomy in one city.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The Eastside of Palmdale looks and feels more like Victorville, while the Westside of Palmdale looks and feels more like a part of Santa Clarita. It's strange you can have such a dichotomy in one city.
That is a good observation and I agree! I work in Victorville and as I drive around during lunch time, the sun beats down on me with reflections from the buildings and sidewalks, a constant reminder that you're in a desert.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:49 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Castaic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles