Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:40 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times

Advertisements

Condo and Townhomes in Hollyglenn Redondo Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It is doable from Orange County if you leave by 6:00am in the morning. I lived in Huntington Beach at the time and worked in the SFV (Van Nuys). If I get on the 405 FWY before 6:15am I could be north of Santa Monica before 7:00am with little traffic. But not if you try to get on the 405 after 6:15am.
How long was the commute back?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
How long was the commute back?
Depending on when you get on the 405. If it's before 4:00pm it was not bad. Otherwise you might as well wait past 8:00pm.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times
Because you will be working in Santa Monica, your kids are eligible (and receive a priority) to attend school in Santa Monica under an interdistrict permit. This is always subject to available space, so you probably need to step on it smartly as they will currently be making decisions for the new school year on the applications from people who don't work there (but people who work in SM can apply at any point in the school year). New school year starts August 22, call SMMUSD.

I would then look at buying in North Inglewood, as close as you can to Ladera Heights or Windsor Park. That area is generally pretty safe, it's less than a 30 minute commute, and it's appreciating fairly quickly. Something like this for $699,000 https://www.redfin.com/CA/Inglewood/...2/home/6403883

There will be people that try to scare you that it's the hood, but if you stick to the north western area, it's fine. You'd be surprised how many kids are in SM schools from this area with parents in professional positions. These numbers will only increase as more people get priced out of the Westside.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 AM

240 posts, read 240,155 times
All the naysayers here are totally wrong. You can find a home to buy under $750K that's commutable to Santa Monica. The schools part is hard for us to comment on though... because 'good schools' can be subjective. What defines it as being good? Is it that it's higher than an 8 on GreatSchools.org? Or a 7? Many people do what has been mentioned above and buy houses in more affordable areas where the home schools aren't as good and then apply for the charter schools or the schools in their work city like Santa Monica or Burbank. You can still find a single family home in Encino for under $750K in Encino Park. Lake Balboa is also under $750K for SFH and the schools are mixed but Stagg and Lorne are pretty coveted.

It is totally doable.

What are you looking for in a house to buy? What type of schools are you needing most? Elementary? Middle? High?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Don't buy right out of the gate. There's high likelihood you'll regret it, as you'll likely find a more fitting neighborhood while you poke around in the first year. For now just rent the space you need - not more, not less...and don't make it so difficult on yourself.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:25 PM

256 posts, read 398,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Because you will be working in Santa Monica, your kids are eligible (and receive a priority) to attend school in Santa Monica under an interdistrict permit. This is always subject to available space, so you probably need to step on it smartly as they will currently be making decisions for the new school year on the applications from people who don't work there (but people who work in SM can apply at any point in the school year). New school year starts August 22, call SMMUSD.
Really??? I didn't know this. If I could send the kids to Santa Monica schools then that opens up doors to pretty much any town.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
Really??? I didn't know this. If I could send the kids to Santa Monica schools then that opens up doors to pretty much any town.
Even if the school issue is taken care of, if you're in the city of L.A. youd still have to deal with crappy to nonexistent services in other things. Try not to be in the city of L.A. if you can (and avoid Inglewood also)

Old 08-03-2017, 05:11 PM

256 posts, read 398,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Even if the school issue is taken care of, if you're in the city of L.A. youd still have to deal with crappy to nonexistent services in other things. Try not to be in the city of L.A. if you can (and avoid Inglewood also)
I was seriously considering the Thousand Oaks and Agoura Hills region and from what I've researched, the commute seems to be 30 miles and about 1 hour. I know that is crazy for many and it's for me too, but I think that's one of the compromises that I have to take if wanting to move to the LA region (working in SM).

I thought I can look at other cities around SM, but I really can't find anything that is reasonable.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
I was seriously considering the Thousand Oaks and Agoura Hills region and from what I've researched, the commute seems to be 30 miles and about 1 hour. I know that is crazy for many and it's for me too, but I think that's one of the compromises that I have to take if wanting to move to the LA region (working in SM).

I thought I can look at other cities around SM, but I really can't find anything that is reasonable.
Torrance. It's closer than Agoura Hills or Thousand Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles