Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times

Advertisements

I've mentioned before that if I don't get the LAFD job, I would love to move there to work on my 4-year degree. However, I am also considering Paramedic School. It depends on the pricing, but Paramedic School is expensive no matter where you are in the country. However, CA is DESPERATE for paramedics. For about every 100 applicants in the country there is only 1 firefighter spot. I've been told it goes down to a 12:1 ratio with Paramedic in CA.

There are a few Medic Schools that I've heard of. I'm going to call a few tomorrow, but some require the Fire Academy. I have this, but don't know if it will transfer. Mount San Antonio College and El Camino College are the two community colleges that I found.

Then I saw the UCLA one(might only be for UCLA Med School students though). I thought great, that's the main area that I wanted to live anyway. Then I realized it's in Inglewood. I haven't heard too many nice things about Inglewood on here. The address is 333 N Prairie Ave. Google Maps shows it righ

Is this an okay area? Or maybe fine for school, but not for living?

How long would the drive be from maybe West Hollywood?

Thanks again. You've all be a great deal of help so far.(Cespeed as well, even though we don't always agree) haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
daniel freeman is in a fairly mellow part of inglewood. there is a cemetery across the street, and a girls' catholic school next door. the forum, which is a church on sundays and a concert/sports venue the rest of the week, is right down the street. i'm in the area all the time, often late at night, and it is as quiet as any suburban neighborhood. i imagine that the hospital gets a lot of trauma action, though. no reason to worry about going to school there, and if you had to live nearby for cost reasons, you could do worse.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Thanks. Is it a decent size hospital? On their website it doesn't seem to be a UCLA facility. The main UCLA hospital is located on the main campus right?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Thanks. Is it a decent size hospital? On their website it doesn't seem to be a UCLA facility. The main UCLA hospital is located on the main campus right?
i got in "trouble" on a similar subject a few days ago because i didn't realize that UCLA med center has an arm in santa monica, so i'm going to be cautious. there is a daniel freeman facility in marina del rey. the main hospital is in inglewood on prairie. when i did a search, the paramedic training program appeared to be linked to the marina location (definitely no need to worry about safety there, but affordable housing would be a different matter, entirely.), and there is some sort of UCLA association, but i didn't read enough to determine the nature or extent of it. you can look for yourself: Centinela Freeman Marina Campus - Daniel Freeman-UCLA Paramedic Program Turns 35 (http://www.centinelafreeman.com/News/paramedicprogram - broken link)

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
The Inglewood location is actually the official hospital for the Dodgers and Lakers I believe. I had knee surgery there a couple of years ago. Minus the jumbojets flying overhead constanstly, I don't think you'll have any issues with the location.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 PM

Geez, I'm just going to have to call tomorrow because I'm very confused. haha The first site that I saw it had the Inglewood address. However, the one you gave a link to seems to be right as well. Then another one listed the main campus. So I have no idea. It would be great if it was at the main campus because I would like to live near there or the Hollywood/West Hollywood area.(Santa Monica would be my top choice if it wasn't so expensive)

Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM

8 posts, read 28,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i got in "trouble" on a similar subject a few days ago because i didn't realize that UCLA med center has an arm in santa monica, so i'm going to be cautious. there is a daniel freeman facility in marina del rey. the main hospital is in inglewood on prairie. when i did a search, the paramedic training program appeared to be linked to the marina location (definitely no need to worry about safety there, but affordable housing would be a different matter, entirely.), and there is some sort of UCLA association, but i didn't read enough to determine the nature or extent of it. you can look for yourself: Centinela Freeman Marina Campus - Daniel Freeman-UCLA Paramedic Program Turns 35 (http://www.centinelafreeman.com/News/paramedicprogram - broken link)
Its all very confusing so its understandable. As it currently stands, UCLA "main" is its westwood campus. Many of its top-notch services are being transferred to UCLA-Santa Monica (15 min away from main campus) because of the structure of the new hospital opening up in April. These are the "flagship" hospitals.

Olive View and Harbor are the two main "county" branches of UCLA. UCLA also has a strong affiliation with the West LA VA. These are primary affiliates.

Daniel Freeman Regional Medical Center is not a primary affiliate but it is part of the UCLA system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles