Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:30 AM

337 posts, read 276,445 times

Advertisements

This might be better in the employment forum but a lot of the responses I've received from the past there are from people in like the Midwest who don't get us Californians (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

I lived in San Diego or 2 years living at the beach for 1 year where I had affordable rent. I got laid off in June due to the school district being in debt and needing to do massive lay offs. I'm not a teacher but me having a job is usually contingent on the number of teachers employed. I applied for many jobs in my field throughout most of SoCal (except for counties that were really far inland). I only had 3 interviews in San Diego with no offers. I do have an interview coming up this Friday, but it's a temporary position just for 3 months with no possibility of becoming more (it's a tiny district).

Anyway since yesterday for this week I had 7 interviews lined up all in LA and that 1 in San Diego. I figured that if I get a job within say a 50 minute commute from my parents' house in the Valley, that I would just stay there and give them "rent" due to the high costs of rent in LA. Only 2 out of the 7 sites were within a 20 minute drive from their house. I got extremely lucky and got an offer yesterday for the closest site. Had I not received an offer I faced the dilemma of do I move back home in LA in order to save $$$, or just renew my lease in San Diego to have 1 more year of fun at the beach (I have enough saved to be able to do that) and If I get anything, just take it for some $$$. Before I got the offer my mind was made up just to have 1 more year of being in San Diego whether I had a good job or not. The offer though ended that dilemma.

I accepted the offer, but it wasn't an official offer. With this district I had something happen once 2 years ago where I was offered a job, but then during processing I was told I wasn't qualified (despite meeting their qualifications). I inquired what I was lacking and was told that they don't release that information. That's another issue though.... I ended up canceling all my other LA interviews because it was the same district. I am keeping the temporary San Diego one just in the event I end up having the offer revoked like what happened before.

I'm stalling as much as I can with the processing for the LA job since I have my apartment until Sept 30 and want to use it while I am paying for it (I thought about quietly subletting it but my property manager lives directly across from me...). I think I could probably have 2-3 weeks left of actually being on "vacation" before starting due to processing (I would have to get finger printed on site, get the TB test, get a physical, and order a test score that I couldn't locate). I'm also hoping that I would hear back from San Diego that I got my job back (doubtful though).

Anyway assuming I officially get the job, I'm a bit sad returning to LA. I could never afford to live at the beach there like I am in San Diego (I use the beach daily at the minimum to at least walk my dog on the sand). The beach from their place in valley is 40 minutes. I know it's not far, but it's just different when you actually live at the beach and make use of it daily. I was just very comfortable where I lived.

Looking at things though based strictly on the job that I was unofficially offered, it's actually a great job to have. It's less hours for the same amount of $ than what I would have been making in San Diego, and it's 4 days a week with Mondays off. The job is also significantly less stressful. It also gives me experience that I have wanted for a long time which opens up doors to working at universities should I wish to pursue that.

Just very hard to leave a laid back beach town especially in the situation where you had affordable rent. It looked and felt like paradise in the part that I lived. Have any of you left a place you loved to come to LA due to more opportunities? How do you feel about your decision? I know I'm coming off as spoiled and that this came off as whiny. I just want to believe that I am making the right decision. I know that had I lived in just a suburb of San Diego or something that it wouldn't have been an issue. Socially it probably is better for me to be back to LA I guess. There are more social events and activities centered around my culture in LA than there is in San Diego. Just trying to do the pros and cons things. My only pro for staying in San Diego was beach living. I know it's just 1 pro, but it's a pretty big pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:51 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Don't forget, there are counties north of LA that have beaches.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 1,634 times
beaches north of LA have even cooler water than south of LA

Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skankhunt42 View Post
I know I'm coming off as spoiled and that this came off as whiny.
Glad you know it.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,209 times
It sounds like this is a better opportunity that is worth taking.

A job with the same pay with Mondays off and much less stress sounds great, all else equal. You could use those Mondays especially to spend the day at the beach when it's much less busy. What a great day to have off!

It doesn't make sense to live by the beach in San Diego but have to deal with a stressful job for most of the day with what sounds like an unstable job market that has a less than rosy future.

Like you said, this job in LA can "open up doors" and you would have 3 days off per week to go to beautiful nearby beaches in and around Malibu plus more social events and activities up your alley in LA while saving money by living at home. Sounds like a great deal!

Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
It sounds like this is a better opportunity that is worth taking.

A job with the same pay with Mondays off and much less stress sounds great, all else equal. You could use those Mondays especially to spend the day at the beach when it's much less busy. What a great day to have off!

It doesn't make sense to live by the beach in San Diego but have to deal with a stressful job for most of the day with what sounds like an unstable job market that has a less than rosy future.

Like you said, this job in LA can "open up doors" and you would have 3 days off per week to go to beautiful nearby beaches in and around Malibu plus more social events and activities up your alley in LA while saving money by living at home. Sounds like a great deal!
Thanks yeah I know moving is the smartest thing to do. It's just different when you could walk straight to the beach versus having to drive to get there. It was so relaxing everyday walking my dog at the beach. Living at the beach spoiled me.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
I'd take the LA job.

Bear in mind though personally I consider my leaving LA years ago one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, in so many ways. So my own bias must be factored in.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'd take the LA job.

Bear in mind though personally I consider my leaving LA years ago one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, in so many ways. So my own bias must be factored in.
You're in the bay area now?

Old 08-09-2017, 01:23 PM

240 posts, read 240,300 times
Like you said, the LA job could open doors up for the future.

Maybe use one of those doors to plan on a return trip to San Diego in a few years.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skankhunt42 View Post
You're in the bay area now?
Yep. When I returned to my childhood metro, I was testing the waters, due to an outstanding job opportunity. Then life happened and it's now nearly 30 years later.

When I left here at 18 I thought I'd never return and yet I did, and here I am, still.

It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles