Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,699 times

Advertisements

Hey all I'm tired of paying rent and seriously considering purchasing a house in Glassell Park. However, there isn't just a lot of info out there about this neighborhood. CurbedLA says it's up and coming, the next Highland Park, blah blah. My realtor says the same (of course..) On Google News, the first thing that popped up was that the post office is refusing to deliver mail there b/c high crimes. That was kind of discouraging! Apparently this is happening on Drew Street which is on the west side of the 2 freeway. The property I'm considering is on the other side of the 2, just a few blocks north of GP Elementary. For those of you who live there,

How has this area changed over the last 1-2 years?
What's the demographics like? Wikipedia cites data from 2010 census (66% latinos etc), is it still the same?
How is the rental market? High/low demand? What do 2-BR, 3-BR go for?
How is commute to DTLA, Pasadena, K-town?
What areas are considered safer? Dangerous?
How safe is the area I mentioned (around GP Elem)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
I don't know the area right by the elementary school, but we take our kids to the GP park/pool occasionally, and that area seems safe enough, at least during the daytime/evening.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Hey all I'm tired of paying rent and seriously considering purchasing a house in Glassell Park. However, there isn't just a lot of info out there about this neighborhood. CurbedLA says it's up and coming, the next Highland Park, blah blah. My realtor says the same (of course..) On Google News, the first thing that popped up was that the post office is refusing to deliver mail there b/c high crimes. That was kind of discouraging! Apparently this is happening on Drew Street which is on the west side of the 2 freeway. The property I'm considering is on the other side of the 2, just a few blocks north of GP Elementary. For those of you who live there,

How has this area changed over the last 1-2 years?
What's the demographics like? Wikipedia cites data from 2010 census (66% latinos etc), is it still the same?
How is the rental market? High/low demand? What do 2-BR, 3-BR go for?
How is commute to DTLA, Pasadena, K-town?
What areas are considered safer? Dangerous?
How safe is the area I mentioned (around GP Elem)?

Thanks
A relatively safe area, except for the area by Forest Lawn in the northwestern part of the neighborhood. (Drew Street is in the northwestern part of Glassell Park and has had problems for years, albeit fewer recently)

The best parts are closer to Eagle Rock or Mount Washington.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:34 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Glassell Park Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 AM

817 posts, read 752,528 times
It was getting better back in 09 when I lived there. I
Sure it's even better now

Old 08-09-2017, 12:26 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
I'm not a fan of Glassell Park, but the area as a whole is better now than it was 15-20 years ago although the pocket you mentioned between the 2 freeway and Forest Lawn is still dangerous.

Realtors are overhyping the area. San Fernando Rd. is not desirable as Highland Park's York Blvd. in terms of developing a main thoroughfare with attractive shops, dining, etc. It is mostly industrial and I see it staying that way.

As noted, if you decide to buy in Glassell Park, try to find something by Eagle Rock or Mount Washington. Plus side of the area is that commute to DTLA, Pasadena and K-Town is pretty quick.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,659 times
Default to the hipsters of the hood 😂

i say just stick to highland park and to the east of that, i dint like how you guys just move into the neighbrohood without even knowing what this neighborhood is, just saying to know where you are at for safety reasons in glassell park, as crime is getting higher in the past year, also " this apprently happened in drew street" drew street happens to be the most dangerous street in nela so i would say to not find spot in that area and especially not to be there at night. division street is pretty rough as well, so to all new comers watch where you are at and do research on the neighborhood before just stepping in not knowing what your at

Old 12-20-2018, 05:35 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Prices have gotten crazy in that area . $816k median price for Glassel Park ?
About the same as Glendale but Glendale has its own Police department and services and crime is low . Or you can even buy a place in Pasadena for those prices.

Sure I can see when it was actually cheap , but that’s not the case anymore .

Old 12-20-2018, 06:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
I was talking to a substitute teacher who bought in Highland Park 20 years ago for dirt cheap. He waited out the transition and is going to be able to retire nicely when he cashes it out in a few years. The stories he has from the things that went down on his little street are crazy, but in the end it paid off. Glassell Park has some sketch and some nice, but its hillsides and views and proximity to downtown LA and the fact that the neighborhoods around it are getting more expensive all point to a good buy if you don't overpay.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
I lived right on drew street for couple of years. I honestly didn't realize how bad it was or how bad of a rep it had. I lived on the quieter end of the street. I would see the gangsters out every now and then but had no issues. Would hear gun shots very occasionally. This was 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles