Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You might be the only person who ranks LAX above SFO.
LAX has its issues but a lack of flights is not one of them.

There are a number of international carriers we don't have at all at SFO. It's actually pretty limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
I miss nothing about it and I was born there.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Curious how this thread is going to go. I'm a native and am working on moving in the next few years and was curious to see what others say about leaving here.

The only thing I think right now that I'd miss would be the weather, but I haven't left yet, so who knows???

Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
Was in Chicago til last year. Short answer is everything! Longer (but still incomplete) answer:

- Food.
- Taco trucks (real ones, not the ones with Twitter accounts).
- The freaking sun!
- Family.
- Ocean.
- Being able to exercise outside more than 2 days a year.
- Tacos.
- REAL liberals. Midwestern Democrats are fine and everything, but they're not like California brand liberals.
- DTLA (love how much change has been happening there!)
- Good hiking.
- Tacos.
- The world's crappiest bowling alley that will always have a place in my heart, Shatto Lanes.
- Any raggedy looking place in your neighborhood having really good food.
- Non-weird Midwestern phony politeness.
- Tacos.
- Non-traditional, very open minded attitudes. The vibe here is "do you." I really missed that.
- And lastly, tacos.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
Born and mainly raised in the LA area. I honestly don't miss anything and I wouldn't move back. I'd say the weather but the last time I was in LA the smog messed up my sinuses and frankly that isn't something I want to return to.

OP - You can miss a place and still visit. Eventually things will change and home will mean something different from where you were raised. Your friends will move, places change, and life moves on.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Oh, when we moved from LA to Marin County and the novelty of NO.CA wore off I missed everything about L.A. friends, the Dodgers, the restaurants, my family, even my old house, though the one we bought was nicer. As the time went by we had an opportunity to more back to the L.A. area, hubby got transferred. Well, it was the biggest mistake we have ever made or one of them. Friends move away and things change. Family gets older and passes on and the old familiar places to eat, often move as well. We lived in L.A.off and on for about 10 years more. That was so many years ago I can hardly remember. Yes, I still miss a few things but not many. Our friends are mostly gone, our old hangouts are long gone, even the hospital I was born in is gone. As for the weather, nice yes, but I love the change of seasons. The only thing I really miss are my Dodgers. Oh and I would say the proximity to Vegas, but no more,still would love to be closer to Laughlin.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
You will always have memory of friends and family who are no longer in your life. One thing memory alone is not enough is good food. I miss burritos from EL Taco LLama.

I wasn't born in LA, but lived there a long time.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Things I miss:

Friends from the neighborhood I grew up in

my Aunt and mom

LA Music Center

a minor league baseball team in San Bernardino, let scouts sleep over on the field, etc.

good salsa at a Mexican restaurant

Things I do not miss:

traffic

heat

polluted air

fires and evacuations

crowds

snowflakes and entitled attitude folks

corrupt government, especially San Bernardino County

taxes, fees and high prices

Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I lived in Southern California for 20+ years, during and after my college days. Miss the museum scene, beaches, unique restaurants (Pink's, Tommy's, Magic Pan, Langers, Versailles, Yamashiro, El Cholo, Manuel's, Taylor's Steakhouse, Plum Tree Inn, etc) that only exist in Southern California, my old classmates & friends (many of whom I still see when I return), USC-UCLA games, running at the Rose Bowl, drives along PCH, the club scene, drives on Sunset Blvd, the memories I shared with friends and dates.

It was a time when I attended college and grew up, experiencing life away from home for the first time. A great time.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I lived in Southern California for 20+ years, during and after my college days. Miss the museum scene, beaches, unique restaurants (Pink's, Tommy's, Magic Pan, Langers, Versailles, Yamashiro, El Cholo, Manuel's, Taylor's Steakhouse, Plum Tree Inn, etc) that only exist in Southern California, my old classmates & friends (many of whom I still see when I return), USC-UCLA games, running at the Rose Bowl, drives along PCH, the club scene, drives on Sunset Blvd, the memories I shared with friends and dates.

It was a time when I attended college and grew up, experiencing life away from home for the first time. A great time.
Yep many of the things we miss are no longer there. That changes a desire to move "back" because there is no "back" to move to. Change, is the only constant in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles