Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,389 times

Advertisements

I guess it's not totally out of the question to live closer to Pasadena - it's just my preference to be closer to my friends because I've spent so much of my life living close to work and frustrated that I couldn't see the people I care about more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace1234 View Post
I would like to live on the West Side somewhere because that's where most of my friends are located. For a few years I was working in Orange County and living VERY far away from my friends, which felt quite isolating and frustrating.... I ended up quitting my job and moving up to NorCal for a while (Orange County didn't quite suit me either). I don't really want to put myself in that situation again - so I would like to move somewhere where I'm connected and have a bit of a community.
You have the facts, it's your life, it's your time, your money, it's your decision. I disagree with posters who feel that it's their duty in every post to give a lecture as to how they should live right across the street from their office (unless if they are attempting something just plain ridiculous). Most of those posters don't even practice what they preach. Only you can make that decision.

Quote:
vegaspilgrim - thank you for the suggestion about getting around 110 downtown traffic. Would it be safe to say (of course without taking into account random accidents and such) that the commute would take approx an hour each way?
I have no idea. "West LA" is a huge place, depending on how close you are to the 10 freeway and how "west" into West LA you are could make a world of difference. The traffic in Pasadena itself could be very slow moving; unfortunately the 110 ends there and the 710 doesn't connect to the 210. All I know is I frequently drive a portion of what would be your commute back home. On a good day, at around 6:30-7:00pm, it takes approx. 20-25 minutes to get from USC to either Culver City or the SM Blvd/ 405 area. Almost always my side of the traffic is moving at least okay, maybe a handfull of backups, but sometimes even at full 65+ mph speed, and the traffic heading the other way is crawling. One suggestion I have if you decide to do this commute is if the main freeway lanes are backed up, get off on the "side" lanes. A bunch of signs that point towards supposed freeway exits actually allow thru traffic where you'll meet up with the main freeway a few miles down the road. Depending on the conditions you can save yourself some time by paying attention to that.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Other idea I have-- is taking public transportation an option? You might be able to take a Big Blue Bus "Freeway Express" to Union Station, and then the Gold Line to Pasadena. It would be probably take longer than driving, but it's always an option to consider.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
If public transportation is an option you can take the Rapid 780 to Pasadena. Depending on how far west you are it could take a long, time, though; I'm not sure how far west it goes, but I used to pick it up in Hollywood and it took about an hour at rush hour (maybe an hour 15 minutes) to get over to Pasadena. Once in Pasadena it basically goes straight up Colorado and ends by PCC. I got on early enough that I ALWAYS had a seat, usually a window seat, and could just read until it was time to get off. Of course it would be a lot longer if you're coming from the west side, but then again your drive from there could be pretty bad, too.

I knew several people who did the reverse commute - Pasadena to Beverly Hills, in those cases - and they experimented with departure times until they had the timing down perfectly. Apparently even leaving five minutes later made a big difference on some of the freeways.

Or you could do a compromise between living in West LA and living in Pasadena and live somewhere like Hollywood or Los Feliz that's between the two.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Thank you - I will definitely look into public transport. I forget that's even a possibility! Really appreciate everyone's input.

Quote:
You have the facts, it's your life, it's your time, your money, it's your decision. I disagree with posters who feel that it's their duty in every post to give a lecture as to how they should live right across the street from their office (unless if they are attempting something just plain ridiculous). Most of those posters don't even practice what they preach. Only you can make that decision.
I know it's not at all ideal to live far away from where I'm working... for my own sanity, for environmental reasons, and for the life of my poor little car (to name a few reasons) - I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I'd be getting into if I were to take that route. I'll definitely think about living closer -- it's definitely not off the table as an option.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:17 PM

I just looked up the Rapid 780 bus and that seems like a really viable option. Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Be sure you check the time, connections etc. have you thought about living closer to downtown which would put you inbetween or how about Glendale. Just some ideas...I will add one thing, you didn't fit in or care for OC, whatever you said, Pasadena is very different than OC.

good luck, keep us posted.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles