Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You don't see it in Culver City either. Nor do you see it in the unincorporated areas of the westside - MDR and Ladera - which are under the jurisdiction of the Sheriffs.

I call shenanigans. I live in MDR. I thought there was nothing like that for a while, but while on a walk w/ my wife about a month after we moved here, I found one a few blocks from our home, tucked near 4MM++ properties. It was a pretty small encampment - maybe 2-3 - but it was, and is, there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You don't see it in Culver City either. Nor do you see it in the unincorporated areas of the westside - MDR and Ladera - which are under the jurisdiction of the Sheriffs.
When they redeveloped downtown Culver City that was one of the really appealing parts of it .
Not being harrassed by aggressive panhandlers and stuff like in other parts of the city .

No doubt quality of life would be better if the city was split up into smaller cities .

Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I call shenanigans. I live in MDR. I thought there was nothing like that for a while, but while on a walk w/ my wife about a month after we moved here, I found one a few blocks from our home, tucked near 4MM++ properties. It was a pretty small encampment - maybe 2-3 - but it was, and is, there.
MDR is surrounded by the city of L.A. and some areas that you'd think are in MDR are under LAPD jurisdiction and not Sheriff's jurisdiction. The 90292 zip code includes parts of Venice which is in the city of L.A.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
There's a mini Skid Row close to LAX. It's this abandoned area with several abandoned and boarded up apartment buildings. You can see streets full of tents. Such a bizarre place. The whole area will be razed eventually for LAX expansion. I wonder where these encampments will go to next.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
There are some beautiful parts of the west side in Brentwood and Pacific Palisades, but when you're a part of the city of LA, it comes with the price of dealing with these types of issues.

There's a reason you don't see this type of stuff in Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. Smart moves on their part to become their own cities. Nice, clean areas that set their own strict rules with limited tolerance for riff raff.

The reality is that there is increased demand for housing and the housing supply needs to be increased to match demand. LA needs to transform itself to become a modern metropolis that can support higher density with a fully functioning public transport system. Opening the floodgates by providing pseudo-temporary homeless housing with boundless sunshine instead of focusing mental health issues and veteran support isn't the solution.
I don't know of too many homeless that are working normal jobs. You can build all the apartments, homes, condos that you want, but unless the person renting has an income then you just have a lot of empty places. Then again if you build them others will move in to fill them up, but you will still have the homeless.

Problem also is that developers have a hard time getting projects approved just about anywhere in California. Make it easier for projects to get approved and you will have more housing. You won't have a lot of homeless people filling up the new housing units.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:06 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
There's a mini Skid Row close to LAX. It's this abandoned area with several abandoned and boarded up apartment buildings. You can see streets full of tents. Such a bizarre place. The whole area will be razed eventually for LAX expansion. I wonder where these encampments will go to next.
Here's an LA Times article and video from earlier this year:

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...208-story.html

Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 PM

363 posts, read 557,801 times
I was stunned when I saw homeless walking around Beverly Hills.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:54 PM

55 posts, read 80,666 times
^ there always have been homeless on the main streets of Beverly Hills, just not in the mcmansion residential parts

Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
If Dear Mayor runs for governor he can bring this "progressiveness" to the entire state !

Eric Garcetti doesn't rule out run for governor | The Sacramento Bee

Old 08-30-2017, 06:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If Dear Mayor runs for governor he can bring this "progressiveness" to the entire state !

Eric Garcetti doesn't rule out run for governor | The Sacramento Bee
He'd tank so badly. Not that Newsom is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles