Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:18 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
What exactly is the culture into which they are meant to assimilate?Sure. I'll add a fourth award. In the meanwhile you g'head and keep normalizing nationalism. Worked out great for Hitler seventy years ago. He, too advocated homogeneity and "assimilation" (although, admittedly, his methods were a shade different). BTW, how's that wall coming?

Also, "than". And "assimilate into". Apparently "our culture" (not sure what that is, since your definition of American culture seems to be drastically different from mine) also includes poor spelling and grammar. Not to mention thinly veiled ad hominem attacks (in case you decide to come back with "look who's talking", do note how I attacked the comment, not OP him/herself).
Everyone is a white supremacist Nazi. They're buzzwords like **** that the insecure millennial antifa anarchist cyber bully generation have appropriated to attack people that don't share their beliefs. There are people that hate our country (Muslims terrorists, Russians, North Koreans etc) who are financially backing these morons on both sides to divide our country and all of the lemmings play right into it. Keep perpetuating their agendas if you want. Yes, everyone that doesn't believe exactly what you believe is Hitler because that's a rational opinion

By the way, the grammar police are the saddest of the sad. I'm glad we have an entire generation raised on social media who can only validate themselves by insulting others. This is going to end really well for our civlization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Everyone is a white supremacist Nazi. They're buzzwords like **** that the insecure millennial antifa anarchist cyber bully generation have appropriated to attack people that don't share their beliefs. There are people that hate our country (Muslims terrorists, Russians, North Koreans etc) who are financially backing these morons on both sides to divide our country and all of the lemmings play right into it. Keep perpetuating their agendas if you want. Yes, everyone that doesn't believe exactly what you believe is Hitler because that's a rational opinion
Keep putting words into my mouth, let's see how far that gets you. I don't plan on engaging in this discussion as this thread isn't the appropriate place for it, nor are you doing a particularly good job of it.

I'm fine with people having opinions other than mine. That's the foundation upon which this country was built, after all. What I do have an issue with is racist, nationalistic and ignorant behavior being normalized simply because it's "just another opinion". No, your opinion isn't valid simply because it exists. Sorry to burst that particular bubble.
Quote:
By the way, the grammar police are the saddest of the sad. I'm glad we have an entire generation raised on social media who can only validate themselves by insulting others. This is going to end really well for our civlization
If you're insulted by having your grammar corrected, then the shoe fits. As for "insulting others", I can't believe you're opening the door for this, but: pot meet kettle.

I see you aren't planning to answer my first question. Figured as much.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Keep putting words into my mouth, let's see how far that gets you. I don't plan on engaging in this discussion as this thread isn't the appropriate place for it, nor are you doing a particularly good job of it.If you're insulted by having your grammar corrected, then the shoe fits. As for "insulting others", I can't believe you're opening the door for this, but: pot meet kettle.

I see you aren't planning to answer my first question. Figured as much.
What is happening is that the "culture" that has been present in the US since its inception is changing.

It is becoming like the 3rd world Countries the people left. Corruption in politics and police for starters and ... the citizens of those countries keep their heads low to survive. Now here in the US we see the same problems and ... they still keep their heads low and it gets more and more like what "they" left behind and less like what it was. Nothing to do with race, etc, just the reality that for 3rd world people what is happening in the US is still way better than where they were and they do not have the experience, history or desire to do anything about what is occurring now, as they are still better off here. And... the population "race/ethnicity" wise is changing and the 3rd world population here is growing. Even many of their children are happy with what they have and stay quiet when corruption occurs. Get used to it as "change" is encouraged from the "culture" that was.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What is happening is that the "culture" that has been present in the US since its inception is changing.
My point exactly. The problem is, "American culture" is too often taken to mean "white American culture", which is a bit myopic, to say the least, especially when one considers that California was a part of Mexico less than 150 years ago. It's a bit rich to take the best part and then tell people from the worst part to "go back home" when they fail to proclaim their love for apple pie.
Quote:
It is becoming like the 3rd world Countries the people left <...> Get used to it as "change" is encouraged from the "culture" that was.
In some cases this is absolutely true. (Note how I said "some".) That's still not a reason to tell people that, if they have pride in their home nation, they should leave their adopted one. That's what I call out for being ignorant. You can very easily do both and, in an ideal situation, add your own cultural wrinkle to this meltin' pot of ours (which the U.S. was always supposed to be, although I find that to be a laugh more often than not these days).

Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
Quote:
What exactly is the culture into which they are meant to assimilate?Sure. I'll add a fourth award. In the meanwhile you g'head and keep normalizing nationalism. Worked out great for Hitler seventy years ago. He, too advocated homogeneity and "assimilation" (although, admittedly, his methods were a shade different). BTW, how's that wall coming?

Also, I'm going to be "that guy" for a minute. Before you fly your nationalist colors, at least learn to speak the language properly, ffs. It's "than". And "assimilate into". Apparently "our culture" (not sure what that is, since your definition of American culture seems to be drastically different from mine) also includes poor spelling and grammar. Not to mention thinly veiled ad hominem attacks (in case you decide to come back with "look who's talking", do note how I attacked the comment, not OP him/herself).
You don't have to be "that guy" for a minute; you are "that guy". Every other country in the world outside the West behaves in a nationalistic fashion. Does that make then a bunch of Nazis?

Lol, and you're the one behaving in a controlling fashion with your thinly veiled censorship of both the quoted poster's grammar and content. But I imagine this will fly over your head, as pointing out a liberal's hypocrisy always does.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
You don't have to be "that guy" for a minute; you are "that guy". Every other country in the world outside the West behaves in a nationalistic fashion. Does that make then a bunch of Nazis?
Do me a favor and at least try to follow what I'm writing. Otherwise don't bother responding. "That guy" referred to correcting the poster's grammar.
Quote:
controlling <...> censorship
p
Quote:
pointing out a liberal's hypocrisy always does
I'd invoke a conservative's inability to form a logical argument or to follow one, but I actually have friends who are both conservative AND intelligent (not to mention there are plenty of issues, including, ironically, immigration, on which I lean that way as well), so that'd be doing them (and me) a disservice...

Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
Quote:
My point exactly. The problem is, "American culture" is too often taken to mean "white American culture", which is a bit myopic, to say the least, especially when one considers that California was a part of Mexico less than 150 years ago. It's a bit rich to take the best part and then tell people from the worst part to "go back home" when they fail to proclaim their love for apple pie.In some cases this is absolutely true. (Note how I said "some".) That's still not a reason to tell people that, if they have pride in their home nation, they should leave their adopted one. That's what I call out for being ignorant. You can very easily do both and, in an ideal situation, add your own cultural wrinkle to this meltin' pot of ours (which the U.S. was always supposed to be, although I find that to be a laugh more often than not these days).
The U.S. was never intended to be a "melting pot". The phrase was coined by an immigrant, (((Israel Zangwil))) in the early 20th century.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
The U.S. was never intended to be a "melting pot". The phrase was coined by an immigrant, (((Israel Zangwil))) in the early 20th century.
I'm glad you know how Wikipedia works. Did you, perhaps, try reading beyond section 1.1? The term has nothing to do with the spirit of the statement. I don't think the writing on the Statue of Liberty says "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free as long as they are of Western European descent".

Old 09-11-2017, 02:18 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
So if a person wears green on St Patricks day, they should go to Ireland? Or get a pizza on Columbus day, go to Italy? This makes no sense. Mexican Americans can celebrate their ancestral country as much as any other group.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
So if a person wears green on St Patricks day, they should go to Ireland?
If that's all it takes for EU citizenship, I'm wearing every green piece of clothing I own next time March rolls around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles