Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:24 PM

25 posts, read 174,976 times

Advertisements

I'm a twenty-something woman who is going to be moving out to LA in a few months, and one of the neighborhoods I'm seriously considering is Venice. I know that there used to be a problem with gang violence in parts of Venice, is that still the case? If there are still areas to avoid, any information about what exactly those areas are would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2CA? View Post
I'm a twenty-something woman who is going to be moving out to LA in a few months, and one of the neighborhoods I'm seriously considering is Venice. I know that there used to be a problem with gang violence in parts of Venice, is that still the case? If there are still areas to avoid, any information about what exactly those areas are would be great.
You're referring to Oakwood, which is still pretty bad. That area is south of Rose, west of Lincoln, east of Abbott Kinney, and north of California.

However, considering that the Holiday Venice projects may be privatized, that area could wind up changing rapidly in the future:

Section 8 tenants fight to buy Venice building (http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2009-02-23-49690.113116_Section_8_tenants_fight_to_buy_Venice _building.html - broken link)

Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I never thought there was a good part.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 PM

25 posts, read 174,976 times
So that seems to be the area below on a map (please correct me if I'm wrong) -- are the areas below Main closer to the beach still considered Oakwood and "bad"? One of the places I've seen advertised was at Brooks and Pacific, for example.

I know it's only a block or two, but in New York there are some areas where that extra block makes the difference between being able to live there alone as a single girl and not -- I don't know if it's the same in the Venice area.

I appreciate the advice!!

from:Rose Ave and Lincoln Blvd 90291 to:Lincoln Blvd and California Ave 90291 to:Rose Ave and 2nd Ave 90291 to:Abbot Kinney Blvd & California Ave, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90291 to:Lincoln Blvd and California Ave 90291 - Google Maps

Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
A student was killed in the Venice High parking lot a few years ago after school.

That's the craziness of LA....million dollar homes zoned to dangerous overcrowded schools. I dont think Venice is as dangerous as parts of NYC, but I dont know the Oakwood area.

Areas around LA can change dramatically in 10 or 20 minutes. Say, west culver city vs revitalized downtown. Or Marina Del Rey, and Venice. Something to be aware of it, its not uniformed.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You're referring to Oakwood, which is still pretty bad. That area is south of Rose, west of Lincoln, east of Abbott Kinney, and north of California.

However, considering that the Holiday Venice projects may be privatized, that area could wind up changing rapidly in the future:

Section 8 tenants fight to buy Venice building (http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2009-02-23-49690.113116_Section_8_tenants_fight_to_buy_Venice _building.html - broken link)
funny, thats not the same apt. that is known for the venice shoreline crips which is at california and lincoln...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
i live a few blocks from the oakwood and have a friend who lives right in the middle of it. Needless to say, i've spent a decent amount of time there at all hours of the day. yes, it is definitely a bit sketch, especially compared to the parts of venice around the canals. at the same time, i've never once felt threatened in the area even though I've spent hours jogging the boardwalk and stumbling around or riding my beach cruiser in the wee hours of the morning after hitting up the local bars. however, there are some interesting characters in the area. the gang element is still somewhat visible, but no much. there are also lots of homeless people in the area. but the big kicker for me is the drug element. after a certain hour, it's really easy to score crack and weed if you so choose. this brings out the crackheads looking for a fix as well as the crackhead dealers who sell it to them.

with any street smarts you would be fine, just know that there are some f---ed up people in venice. Odds are you'll be totally fine, but with people like that walking the streets you never know.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,468 times
IMO, the closer you live to Washington Blvd., the happier you'll be. The part of Oakwood between California and Venice is the walk streets, and it's prime. The Canals, the Silver Triangle, the area around Abbott Kinney, the beach area surrounding the south end of Pacific and the pocket between Palms and Washington, just east of Lincoln is also nice. I think the Venice/MDR border is the best part, and you can walk to a lot of things. There are plenty of apartments in the Marina, around the peninsula. All of these areas are gentrified, with no gang activity that I've seen. Venice High has been a gang magnet for decades, but there are million dollar homes right behind it. That's L.A. Hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM

364 posts, read 991,097 times
I used to live off of Oakwood and Venice Blvd - on one of the walk streets. Down the street, I could literally hear gunshots but where I was, I never had a problem. I used to walk the area even at night. It's been about two years since I was there - and neighborhoods do change at a moment's whim - but if you stay close to the MDR border, you should be able to find a place that suits your needs.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
IMO, the closer you live to Washington Blvd., the happier you'll be. The part of Oakwood between California and Venice is the walk streets, and it's prime.
That's not Oakwood, which ends at California Ave.

Quote:
Venice High has been a gang magnet for decades, but there are million dollar homes right behind it.
And oddly is ranked as the second best comprehensive in LAUSD next to El Camino, although I think that says something more about the LAUSD being so bad than Venice High being a "good school"

Last edited by majoun; 03-04-2009 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles