Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:39 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Taxes pay for the general revenue. Not the roads.

In addition to taxes, car drivers pay a gas tax and registration fees to pay for the roads.

Bicyclists pay for neither, so no, they are not paying their fair share for the cost of roads.
Half the cost of maintenance of the roads comes from general taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 11:02 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Just to be clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
Just to clarify, those who ride intentionally in the middle lane don't = picking fights.

Sometimes it is safer when there is really no real bike lane to ride in the car lane. Or the bike lane is so narrow it's dangerous

I ride in the bike lane every once in a while. Of course if two riders are doing so, it is a bit safer

just because two are better seen by a car than one
This.
The cyclists are riding there because it is safer (riding without lights is, of course, dumb)

These are the people acting like *******s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Whenever I encounter an obnoxious bicyclist who wants to purposely hold up traffic and I'm in my car with the performance exhaust, just after I pass them I pop off the gas pedal and slam in the clutch, forcing fuel vapor down the exhaust pipe and often making a nice exhaust pop when the vapor ignites within the exhaust system, which can be rather loud at times. In other words, I'm essentially using my car's exhaust system to fart in their face.
My anger always disappears after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I could light up the rear tires with ease with my Vega, I remember doing that a time or two to a stupid bicyclist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Turbocharged/performance exhaust here too, and yes this works.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM

271 posts, read 190,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Love it.....LOL.

Too bad I have an automatic.

You don't live in LA County or City of LA.

How it is up in Sierra County, I cannot say. But down here they're a nuisance and not too bright.

Anyone who is obnoxious enough to go leisure riding on the busiest streets/boulevards in LA and during peak traffic times is arrogant, and some of them think they're making a statement. Some of them may find themselves knocked off their bikes.

NEWSFLASH....LA isn't Portland, I lived in Portland for a couple of years before returning to LA, much smaller city, a lot less traffic. And up there I saw two riders get hit and both times it was their own fault.

I really don't even get the how one would get joy or enjoyment out of riding in heavy traffic, driving a car in it is risky enough. I owned a bike here for several years when I lived in Hollywood and than Studio City.....but wait for it, I rode on side streets. Not Ventura or Hollywood Blvd.
So true. I don't live in Sierra County either. I just joined as a hopeful resident but it seems my dreams are coming to fruition as they accepted our offer on a house.

LA is very opposite from Sierra County which is known for the BUTTES & Pacific Coast Trail (hiking) and Mtn biking trails. Its not real Rode Bike friendly since there are really no bike lanes. But much of the year, you can ride on the paved road (in the middle lane) for a short distance then ride back up to Sierra City via many trails.

Downieville is 8 min away from Sierra City and known for its Mtn Biking. Hence why we are moving, to keep in shape.

I hear you. I've never understood how it can be relaxing to be riding on busy streets and LA appears a nightmare and often times, dangerous. If you do not own a car and are saving money, we'll I can understand that.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Just to be clear

This.
The cyclists are riding there because it is safer (riding without lights is, of course, dumb)

People are just mad because LA has historically been ground zero for car culture and the culture is shifting. Now LA is ground zero for liberal environmentalists and it is so expensive that many people have to start considering a bike as part of a regular commute and the local governments are pushing that narrative. Like it or not there will continue to be more bike lanes added around LA at the expense of car lanes. There is political agenda behind it and it's not going to stop. With that agenda also comes more traffic enforcement again motorists that don't give cyclists the right of way or do stupid aggressive things toward cyclists. But some of these people won't change their minds until they kill a cyclist or get a few heavy fines.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:35 PM

271 posts, read 190,997 times
Even though 99% of cyclists also own at least one vehicle- and- already pay road taxes, my bet is LA is trying to see how to milk the cyclists. So it won't be so cheap to ride much longer.

Best bet is to get out in the country where there are little to no cops. And live like a normal person, unmolested from the blinking lights, noise, smog, pollution, signs, etc...yet moving generally costs $ so it can be easier said than done

Old 09-18-2017, 07:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
People are just mad because LA has historically been ground zero for car culture and the culture is shifting. Now LA is ground zero for liberal environmentalists and it is so expensive that many people have to start considering a bike as part of a regular commute and the local governments are pushing that narrative. Like it or not there will continue to be more bike lanes added around LA at the expense of car lanes. There is political agenda behind it and it's not going to stop. With that agenda also comes more traffic enforcement again motorists that don't give cyclists the right of way or do stupid aggressive things toward cyclists. But some of these people won't change their minds until they kill a cyclist or get a few heavy fines.
I do not want to kill anybody. I just want to do exhaust farts with my turbo sportscar in the faces of bicyclists who purposely slow down automobile traffic. Don't want to get farted on? Don't purposely impede traffic.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:43 AM

266 posts, read 271,763 times
I had the pleasure of watching a group of arrogant bicyclist on Mulholland riding 2-3 wide holding up traffic including a built diesel directly behind them get black smoked as the diesel driver had a chance to pass. He loaded up and provided the full black out on them. This was in response to them blocking anyone from passing on several chances and also flipping off the guy in the truck.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Just to be clear

This.

Wth! When did I say I ever mistreated anyone on a bike?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Wth! When did I say I ever mistreated anyone on a bike?
WTH! When did I say that you mistreated people on bikes?

But you did appear to, at minimum, condone it and, possibly, though it is unclear, admit to participating yourself.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Whenever I encounter an obnoxious bicyclist who wants to purposely hold up traffic and I'm in my car with the performance exhaust, just after I pass them I pop off the gas pedal and slam in the clutch, forcing fuel vapor down the exhaust pipe and often making a nice exhaust pop when the vapor ignites within the exhaust system, which can be rather loud at times. In other words, I'm essentially using my car's exhaust system to fart in their face.

My anger always disappears after that.
Turbocharged/performance exhaust here too, and yes this works.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Whatever you are smoking is clouding reason. I never wrote anything like that. I commented on performance cars being able to do what was described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles