Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,831,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Uh, how do you think Europeans, the majority of whom shop without using cars, shop?
By making 10 trips to get what I can get in 1 trip. Time is money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 03:34 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,310,946 times
I never got people obsession with being seen as a "world class city". Does one's current city and surrounding metropolitan area provide all of one's needs, that should be your major concern.

The things offered in the original post will transform any place to a degree. But maybe some of us are here b/c we don't want some of those thing. NYC is a "WORLD CLASS CITY", but yet, most days the weather is crap; rodents everywhere; miserable driving and parking conditions which practically force you onto that subway system; insane crowds within a small square mileage; Luxury is in extreme proximity with poverty; filthy up and down the city; and heavy tolls to reach different parts of the city.......so what's the point of being world class if you have to live with all that?

Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalnation View Post
Even Chicago.
hahahahhaha

Old 09-21-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I never got people obsession with being seen as a "world class city". Does one's current city and surrounding metropolitan area provide all of one's needs, that should be your major concern.

The things offered in the original post will transform any place to a degree. But maybe some of us are here b/c we don't want some of those thing. NYC is a "WORLD CLASS CITY", but yet, most days the weather is crap; rodents everywhere; miserable driving and parking conditions which practically force you onto that subway system; insane crowds within a small square mileage; Luxury is in extreme proximity with poverty; filthy up and down the city; and heavy tolls to reach different parts of the city.......so what's the point of being world class if you have to live with all that?
Not to mention that "world class city" is a subjective term not something with a concrete definition. I grew up in Boston, I've spent a lot of time in NYC and Chicago, I lived in SF for a year, I lived in DC for a year, I've spent a 2-4 weeks each in Paris, London, Tokyo and Moscow, I've spent months worth of time in Montreal and Vancouver, I've spent time in Miami, I've been to Rome, Geneva, Amsterdam and I've been to a lot of other less significant cities. None of those offer more then Los Angeles and I would say with the exception of a real subway/public transit system they all offer less then Los Angeles.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 PM

451 posts, read 1,325,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I personally think LA is a world class city but many people from NYC, Chicago and Boston look down on LA and do not think it is a world class city. This is why I hate urban elitists.
I would also add people from San Francisco and Seattle also look down on LA and do not think it is a world class city.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,402,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I personally think LA is a world class city but many people from NYC, Chicago and Boston look down on LA and do not think it is a world class city. This is why I hate urban elitists.
I think this is less true today than it was in the not so distant past...though I'll grant you some of that still exists. Mostly uninformed idiots in my opinion who take that view.

Quick counter example: I was in Mexico City about 18 months ago for a vacation. I am straight as an arrow but I met this gay couple who were visiting from NYC who were staying at the same hotel. These guys were long-time NYC residents and they were doing back flips about how much they love Los Angeles.

They lamented the current status of Manhattan which is increasingly not diverse (a playground for the rich only, etc.). Two extremely well read guys who have traveled the globe...don't know if you call them urban elitists but they think LA is great.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:49 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,402,909 times
My 2 cents to make LA better...if I was king for a day:

1. Blow up LAX and redesign it to modern standards. Since that is not possible I'll live with the current plans which should make it less of a cluster f&^k. New centralized rental car center, rail connection to the airport, etc.;

2. Continue with Metro's expansion plans (faster where possible and more grade separations);

3. More public parks!! The change in how "Quimby Fees" are calculated should help increase funds for this. LA's per capita park space is low compared to other large cities.;

4. Repeal Measure JJJ (burdensome affordable housing requirement passed in 2016). Replace it with increased LHITC and other less distortive incentives.

5. Make it harder for NIMBYs to abuse CEQA (anyone remember General Growth suing Rick Caruso for Americana at Brand);

6. Update LA's arcane community plans to encourage increased density in major commercial corridors and near mass transit. Implement "form-based" zoning to encourage good and flexible urban design.;

7. Strict enforcement of who gets the "service dog" tag...that is if you aren't blind or truly disabled: Leave Your Damn Dog at Home!!

8. Related to No. 3: Pick one of LA's well located urban golf course/country clubs and turn it into a major urban park like Balboa Park in SD or Golden Gate Park in SF. Yes, expensive to buyout but worth it.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 09-22-2017 at 12:19 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,174,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalnation View Post
Even Chicago.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,063,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison Margiela View Post
I'm not trying to be an ass I'm just annoyed of all the trolling. I really wanted to hear some more ideas. This thread has already devolved into idiocy.
Started that way.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I would also add people from San Francisco and Seattle also look down on LA and do not think it is a world class city.
We're simply crushed by this statement. We all live here because we want to reside in a "world class city." Shouldn't everyone in L.A. put living in a "world class city" as their primary goal in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles