Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM

71 posts, read 119,256 times

Advertisements

LA native with 40 years experience, lived in Scottsdale for years and now Ponte Vedra Beach. PVB is the most expensive placed we've ever lived! Groceries, car insurance and registration, property tax, gasoline is slightly cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Go rob a bank or win the lottery before you move.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, they better like to do things near where they will live as traffic and crowding and cost will limit what they can do on their budget.
Luckily there are endless possibilities for free entertainment in and around Los Angeles which is one of the great benefits of living here. And the fact that you can pretty much do things outdoors 365 days/year due to the weather here that opens up even more possibilities

https://travel.usnews.com/Los_Angele...gs_to_do/free/

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/...gs-to-do-in-LA

Free or Cheap Things to Do in Los Angeles - NBC Southern California

57 Fun & Free Things to Do in L.A. Every Angeleno Needs to Try Once (Summer 2015 Edition) -

https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/b...do-los-angeles

Old 09-20-2017, 05:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Kayaked, biked almost 10 miles, now sitting in the sunshine @ 1 pm today enjoying life. Guess I'm acclimated. Doesn't bother me - seem to be getting used to the climate here.
No you didn't. Not in the heat and humidity.

Quote:
It is so bad more people move to FL from other States than to CA.
Let me educate you. We will use OJ Simpson as example, do you know he left CA for FL?

Because in FL they can't take the house in a lawsuit. The Goldman family was suing him for the murder of their son. Get it know?

So OJ hightailed it out of CA where his home could have been taken in the lawsuit.

FL has long been known as a "sunny place for shady people".

FL is LOADED with bad people.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRoth View Post
LA native with 40 years experience, lived in Scottsdale for years and now Ponte Vedra Beach. PVB is the most expensive placed we've ever lived! Groceries, car insurance and registration, property tax, gasoline is slightly cheaper.

Thank you. I lived in FL a couple of years. My car insurance in FL with a 6 year old car was more expensive than CA with a new car by several hundred dollars.

I got sticker shock when I walked into Publix. When I asked the cashier about a card like Vons/Ralphs has no such card. When I asked about "double coupons", response "what's a double coupon?".

FL is much cheaper to buy a house in, but other things are much more expensive.

It evens out, and with that horrific weather most of the year. Rude transplants from the north, and the worst drivers I have ever seen, not a nice place to live.

FL is nice from Dec to early March, other than that, the weather is miserable. That's good if you're an old retired person who wants to get out of northern winter, other than that.....ummm...NO.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 PM

71 posts, read 119,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thank you. I lived in FL a couple of years. My car insurance in FL with a 6 year old car was more expensive than CA with a new car by several hundred dollars.

I got sticker shock when I walked into Publix. When I asked the cashier about a card like Vons/Ralphs has no such card. When I asked about "double coupons", response "what's a double coupon?".

FL is much cheaper to buy a house in, but other things are much more expensive.

It evens out, and with that horrific weather most of the year. Rude transplants from the north, and the worst drivers I have ever seen, not a nice place to live.

FL is nice from Dec to early March, other than that, the weather is miserable. That's good if you're an old retired person who wants to get out of northern winter, other than that.....ummm...NO.
I use to ***** about LA drivers; not anymore! I'm going to generalize here...Florida drivers are the worst on the planet! Stop signs are not even a suggestion, they mean out run the other traffic or play chicken! Red lights? forget about stopping. Speed limit posted 25 means 50 to them and 70 means 35! Publix sticker shock is another understatement, the market in Malibu is cheaper! We have to get out of here, pronto.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No you didn't. Not in the heat and humidity.

Let me educate you. We will use OJ Simpson as example, do you know he left CA for FL?

Because in FL they can't take the house in a lawsuit. The Goldman family was suing him for the murder of their son. Get it know?

So OJ hightailed it out of CA where his home could have been taken in the lawsuit.

FL has long been known as a "sunny place for shady people".

FL is LOADED with bad people.
Your illustration has no meaning. One persons actions have nothing to do with 20 million people. If that was the reason all CA has to do is pass the same law, right?

CA and every State is flooded with bad people these days. Your example is meaningless. The vast majority moving to FL are not shady people. Try real examples not the unusual silly ones, and no ad hominem type attacks either.

That is like someone from FL saying you can't work outside in the sun because Death Valley's heat would hurt you. Yeah So FL is a bit of a problem in Summer BUT the majority of people in Fl live there so they must be able to cope because they are outside every day. Plus it is easier to get to a beach in Fl from most locations, which is not the case in CA. Been there, done that in both States.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
I use to ***** about LA drivers; not anymore! I'm going to generalize here...Florida drivers are the worst on the planet! Stop signs are not even a suggestion, they mean out run the other traffic or play chicken! Red lights? forget about stopping. Speed limit posted 25 means 50 to them and 70 means 35! Publix sticker shock is another understatement, the market in Malibu is cheaper! We have to get out of here, pronto.
It is just as bad in CA. I know I have spent over 55 years living in the State (Born and Raised in SoCal) and was there last year and ... not good at all.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Lol, humidity is god awful in FL. Nobody is biking 10 miles there.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. I saw in one day not one but two fatal car crashes in FL. I saw more horrific wrecks down there in a couple of years than over 20 year in CA.

I actually hated driving there, and avoided it when possible.

Some of my favorites.

1) Old man going down the wrong side of the highway coming right at us.

2) Two cars driving side by side having a conversation doing way under the speed limit

3) US 19...you take your life in your hands. They actually have bumperstickers "Pray for me I drive US 19".

And 1 out 4 drivers have no car insurance.

Quote:
Your illustration has no meaning. One persons actions have nothing to do with 20 million people. If that was the reason all CA has to do is pass the same law, right?

CA and every State is flooded with bad people these days. Your example is meaningless. The vast majority moving to FL are not shady people. Try real examples not the unusual silly ones, and no ad hominem type attacks either.

That is like someone from FL saying you can't work outside in the sun because Death Valley's heat would hurt you. Yeah So FL is a bit of a problem in Summer BUT the majority of people in Fl live there so they must be able to cope because they are outside every day. Plus it is easier to get to a beach in Fl from most locations, which is not the case in CA. Been there, done that in both States.

I said I gave ONE EXAMPLE, try and keep up.

You have never lived in FL, I have and Ed Roth currently lives there.

Your opinion doesn't matter as you have only visited FL. That is not living there.

I used to call FL "Jerry Springer Country" because of the amount of trashy types(most from out of state) who reside there.

You have no dog in the fight as you have never lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles