Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thank you. I lived in FL a couple of years. My car insurance in FL with a 6 year old car was more expensive than CA with a new car by several hundred dollars.

I got sticker shock when I walked into Publix. When I asked the cashier about a card like Vons/Ralphs has no such card. When I asked about "double coupons", response "what's a double coupon?".

FL is much cheaper to buy a house in, but other things are much more expensive.

It evens out, and with that horrific weather most of the year. Rude transplants from the north, and the worst drivers I have ever seen, not a nice place to live.

FL is nice from Dec to early March, other than that, the weather is miserable. That's good if you're an old retired person who wants to get out of northern winter, other than that.....ummm...NO.
Wait, what is a double coupon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRoth View Post
I use to ***** about LA drivers; not anymore! I'm going to generalize here...Florida drivers are the worst on the planet! Stop signs are not even a suggestion, they mean out run the other traffic or play chicken! Red lights? forget about stopping. Speed limit posted 25 means 50 to them and 70 means 35! Publix sticker shock is another understatement, the market in Malibu is cheaper! We have to get out of here, pronto.
Supermarket prices did seem higher in FL especially on stuff like produce . But gas is also like a dollar cheaper a gallon . Sales tax in most parts seem significantly lower .
Housing costs are much lower .

If the weather was as ideal as CA then prices would be a lot higher . Many areas are seasonal , busy during the season and then kind of dead off season .

Florida can be a great bargain especially for senior citizens as there is a lot of housing just for 55+ available much cheaper than regular prices .

Living on the beach or having an ocean view isn't the crazy fantasy it is in SoCal

Old 09-21-2017, 07:38 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRoth View Post
I use to ***** about LA drivers; not anymore! I'm going to generalize here...Florida drivers are the worst on the planet! Stop signs are not even a suggestion, they mean out run the other traffic or play chicken! Red lights? forget about stopping. Speed limit posted 25 means 50 to them and 70 means 35! Publix sticker shock is another understatement, the market in Malibu is cheaper! We have to get out of here, pronto.
The driving difference between Florida (Tampa) and LA should not even be a comparison. The grid lock in LA is so frustrating, who cares if they rude or not. Tampa is a breeze in comparison. Driving to another neighborhood or just Venice beach from the center was the worst I have experienced in US cities, but I guess its the 3rd biggest city in USA. Just sucks its so dependable on a car unlike other big NE Cities and cities its size in other countries.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
The driving difference between Florida (Tampa) and LA should not even be a comparison. The grid lock in LA is so frustrating, who cares if they rude or not. Tampa is a breeze in comparison. Driving to another neighborhood or just Venice beach from the center was the worst I have experienced in US cities, but I guess its the 3rd biggest city in USA. Just sucks its so dependable on a car unlike other big NE Cities and cities its size in other countries.
Traffic is easier in Tampa, but drivers? Nah. FL drivers are absolutely horrendous.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Florida drivers are horrible. They combine mass amounts of the elderly, retirees, the foreigners (from everywhere from the carribean, to Europe to Africa), NE transplants, college people etc...

Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Maybe so, but wouldnot trade it for LA traffic ten miles takes 1 1/2 hrs according to one of your posters.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Maybe so, but wouldnot trade it for LA traffic ten miles takes 1 1/2 hrs according to one of your posters.
At least in LA you have the option to live in a vibrant area where you can get by without a car. Doesn't exist in Tampa.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 AM

240 posts, read 240,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajawn View Post
Hello all!

We are originally from Tampa and grew up here all of our lives (fiancé born in Cuba but moved here at 5 yrs old)
We just recently graduated from USF with our business degrees and have the urge/craving to move to LA! (we’ve visited twice and love the lifestyle, west coast vibes and feeling of how real of a real metropolitan city it is compared to Tampa)
We are both 24 years old, young professionals in the financial services field.
My fiancé has a potential job offer in LA but it is only around $45k a year (personal banker in Glendale).
Right now he makes $42k a year here in Tampa. (HR recruiter for large national bank)
I make $45k here in Tampa (credit union supervisor) but have no potential job offers in LA.
We both have a new home built in 2014 in Riverview area and pay only around $1300 for a 4bed/3bath.
We live pretty comfortably and are somewhat financially stable.
We are a little scared to make the move because of how comfortable we are here in Tampa, but also want to take that young risk of experience of exploring a new city!
Looking into L.A I can’t find any apartments or even studios that are decent anywhere near that price?!
A studio is around $1900 starting. Geographically, I have no idea where to search? North Hollywood, Burbank?

Questions:
If he is working in Glendale, where would be decent areas to live nearby with an average apartment around $1500 (we don’t mind a studio or 1 bedroom) no more than 30 minutes from Glendale?
What are some major corporations or how easy is it to land a job in the financial services field in LA?
Do you know of any safe temporary shared living services or apartments that you can live in while finding a job and getting settled into LA?

Any other advice offered… 

Thanks in advance!

I grew up in Tampa area (Bradenton to be specific) and moved to LA when I was 22 straight out of college. OP - you are young and want to have new experiences - and that is definitely the time to do it. You won't want to be old and full of regret. Will there be sacrifice? Yup. Will it be worth it? Probably. And if it's not, you can always return to FL. Or try a new city. But here are some suggestions for the move:

Make a sample budget with new costs of living to be sure you can pull it off. I'm a big fan of the cost of living calculator here because it breaks down smaller items as well: Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool When I moved here my first job's salary was $33K. You CAN pull it off if you're resourceful and careful with your money. Be sure to work into your budget to still save/invest because it sounds like you've been fairly smart with your money thus far, and you don't want to ignore long-term goals for a short-term experience.

If you'd like to stay under $1500/mo you might be able to find older buildings with less amenities or private homeowners with like a guest house or small rental portfolios that have options. Best options are going to be good old-fashioned Craigslist, Zillow, or Apartments.com. Watch for scams, there's a ton of those out there. You might be able to find Glendale but also consider North Hollywood, Valley Village, and Valley Glen. Those will be more cost-effective options. Or consider a roommate. I know most couples won't really want to have a housemate, but it might free up some $ so that you can live on less for your first year while here.

As for temp housing - that's a tough one. The biggest around is going to be Oakwood, but most housing will be kind of pricey. I think they're starting rates are at like $3500+ last I checked a year ago, and they go up in the summer. Maybe try a building like 1200 Riverside in Burbank. I don't know what their rates are currently, but they are an older property and might not be as costly.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
At least in LA you have the option to live in a vibrant area where you can get by without a car. Doesn't exist in Tampa.
They could always move to Miami ...but they'd most likely have to learn Spanish to survive.

"
The City of Miami slotted in at No. 4 in Walk Score’s 2017 ranking of the most walkable cities in the United States, but what about on a neighborhood level?
The Downtown/Brickell area topped that list with a score of 91 (out of 100), and was closely followed by Wynwood/Edgewater (88) and Little Havana (88). "

https://miami.curbed.com/2017/9/19/1...-neighborhoods

Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Premium price usually. OP doesn't have those kinds of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles