Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 19,671 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be (finally ) graduating college in May, with a degree in Communication and Minors in International Business and Spanish. I currently live in Cleveland but am very interested in relocating to an area that has more economic growth, a better music industry, more young people, and better weather.

I am considering in relocating to Los Angeles, but am trying to decide if it would be a wise move.

That being said, here are some stats about me: I am in my early 20s, and love to go out and meet people but I do not drink. I am interested in getting involved in the dance and pop music industry as a DJ/Producer (aside from my day job), and thought that Los Angeles would be a good place to do so. I speak Spanish, and want to get involved in international business.

Would anyone wholeheartedly recommend LA to me, or would I be better off in somewhere else (such as Miami, Portland, or San Fransisco) ?

What are some good industries (for sales) to work for in LA?

Finally, what neighborhoods do you think would be ideal?

Many thanks.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 01:35 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I think that LA is your place. LA is a huge city and you could get a job doing just about anything that you want to do. Regarding the music industry stuff, its all about who you know. Your best bet is to move here and start networking immediately. You're bound to meet someone eventually who could get your foot in the door.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:33 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
Being young in L.A. is a beautiful thing. I speak Spanish and I don't drink either. There's an incredible amount of stuff to do here.

It seems people either love or hate L.A. The haters usually don't like cities or a diverse population and don't take advantage of the money-making opportunities here. Those of us who love it realise there's no other place on earth like it and appreciate the culture, vibe, weather and the fact that ANYTHING is available here. I'm never bored.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Ok, so I definitely want to get my stuff together so that I can move out there.

As I said, I graduate in May. I can't just pick up and move without having a place to work when I show up.

What are some of the major industries that hire sales people out of college? I have been looking on Craig's List, but I haven't found anything great yet. Does anyone have any ideas about good tools for employment for college grads in LA?

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:24 PM

493 posts, read 636,960 times
What about playing music?!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
I worked in the music industry for ten years and I will tell you this: it's incredibly difficult to network without drinking when you are trying to get in. I had that problem. No one has a problem with your sticking to the light stuff (beer, wine, etc.) But it makes people really uncomfortable if you don't have anything. The only way to get around it (only sometimes) is to be the designated driver and be really bummed that you can't imbibe. The reason for this is the music industry likes to party. And if you aren't drinking, you aren't partying. If you are extremely outgoing, you might be able to get away with it. My other favorite trick was to order a drink, just hold it or pretend to drink it or sip it slowly all night and when someone asks if that's the same drink, tell them it's your second or third, in order to pull this off, you must circulate and go to the bar several times. Good Luck.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
What about playing music?!
I would love to believe that I could get by on my music income alone, but I am well aware that I will need to "get things rolling" before I will really be able to do that.

So my goal is to find a day job that I can do for some time in order to make money so that I can do what I love.

As we all know, it takes money to make money...

Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I worked in the music industry for ten years and I will tell you this: it's incredibly difficult to network without drinking when you are trying to get in. I had that problem. No one has a problem with your sticking to the light stuff (beer, wine, etc.) But it makes people really uncomfortable if you don't have anything. The only way to get around it (only sometimes) is to be the designated driver and be really bummed that you can't imbibe. The reason for this is the music industry likes to party. And if you aren't drinking, you aren't partying. If you are extremely outgoing, you might be able to get away with it. My other favorite trick was to order a drink, just hold it or pretend to drink it or sip it slowly all night and when someone asks if that's the same drink, tell them it's your second or third, in order to pull this off, you must circulate and go to the bar several times. Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback. The truth is, I have been sober for over 2 years now - I have this allergic reaction to alcohol where I break out in handcuffs every time I drink .

That being said, I am very active in the music industry in Cleveland as a musician and DJ, and am well aware that people in the music industry like to party. I tend to drink a lot of Coca Cola or whatever when I am networking.

I am definitely extremely outgoing and a natural networker/people person, so I have no fears of those types of situations.

My main goal is to find places to apply for work in LA in sales - preferably for industrial products or technology products doing B2B sales.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,560 times
Default Also trying to Relocate to L.A.

Hey what's up?

I live in the Cleveland area and have been working as a videographer in video production in pro sports and other projects over the past few years. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a relocation to Los Angeles for video/film production. I'm trying to figure out the best route to go in order to initially get down there. Whether it's moving down without a job (risky, but could work), finding a random FT job in order to live in the area and start networking, or going back and forth until I'm able to land a FT job in production. It's tough to decide which route to take.

Anyways, just thought I'd say what's up and that I think it's awesome you're trying to do what you want to do in life, even though other people may look at it as a crazy idea.

Feel free to email me with any ideas, or how your progress is going.

Best of luck!

Adam
apmarschall@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: