Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 PM

36 posts, read 28,792 times

Advertisements

After much consideration, I finally accepted a job in BH and while I am somewhat familiar with area there are still some questions that I could use help with while looking for a place. Currently, I am in my mid-thirties and married with no plans for children now or in the future. My ideal neighborhood would include a reasonable commute to BH (20 minutes) , ability to walk or bike to shopping center on the weekends, a nice view (city or water), and not too crazy all the time with impossible parking/traffic (weho). What makes it a bit hard is my partner does not want to live in a cramped housing enclaves like the hills or above sunset, so anything with a little space with be great. Our budget would be 4.5-5m, for the ideal home but would like to spend less if possible. Night life is not that important to me, we are willing to drive to that. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on neighborhoods or specific areas of any neighborhoods that would get me close to my wish list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 01:02 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Why not Beverly Hills itself?

Old 10-14-2017, 04:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
That is a very nice budget. Definitely lots of options in great areas.

The hills above Sunset is not necessarily cramped. I'd say it's more cramped below Sunset. I'd still definitely consider Beverly Hills as well as other nearby areas such as Bel Air and Brentwood. If you want a city/ocean view, you pretty much have to live in the hills above Sunset.

I like Brentwood especially because you are close to areas with action but it's still relatively quiet where it's a short walk or drive to nice restaurants/shops along San Vicente with fairly quick access to the 405 and a quick drive to Santa Monica assuming it's not rush hour.

Although not quite as desirable in my opinion, I'd also give Cheviot Hills a look, especially right by the golf course.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:07 PM

36 posts, read 28,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post

The hills above Sunset is not necessarily cramped. I'd say it's more cramped below Sunset. I'd still definitely consider Beverly Hills as well as other nearby areas such as Bel Air and Brentwood. If you want a city/ocean view, you pretty much have to live in the hills above Sunset.

I like Brentwood especially because you are close to areas with action but it's still relatively quiet where it's a short walk or drive to nice restaurants/shops along San Vicente with fairly quick access to the 405 and a quick drive to Santa Monica assuming it's not rush hour.

Although not quite as desirable in my opinion, I'd also give Cheviot Hills a look, especially right by the golf course.

Thanks to you and nightly sparrow. I like getting the opinion of someone I am not going to be paying and it gives me some information to work with. Most of the homes in BH with what I was looking for was in the 7-9m range, and business is not quite that good! Much appreciated for sure

Old 10-14-2017, 05:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post

Brentwood is out of the commute range he said he wanted. So is Santa Monica and anywhere else west of the 405.

Cheviot Hills is in the commute range as are Westwood and Hancock Park.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:28 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,241 times
Not too many places within 20 minutes of BH that are not going to be crazy with traffic and people. I like the idea of Hancock Park or some of the other historic neighborhoods between BH and downtown LA. Carthay Square, Lafayette Square, Larchmont Village.

Live as close as you can to work. You will have more commute options including public transportation if you are willing. Life is much better when you aren't stuck in your car hours on end.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 PM

240 posts, read 240,155 times
I'm going to second Brentwood, although I think that's out of your 20 min timeline. Cheviot Hills and Hancock Park could be nice too. What about Bel Air or if you need more house, going over the hill into the hills of Sherman Oaks? It takes me about 30-45 mins to go over the hill when I head into our headquarters from my place in the Studio City/NoHo Arts District area. If you're in the hills in Sherman Oaks you'll get more house, and it'll be shorter than my commute.

What do you need in a house too? I think that also affects things because the 7-9M in Beverly Hills can go a lot further in some neighborhoods more than others.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 AM

335 posts, read 356,214 times
Live as close to work as possible. Everything else will be driven on the weekends and be slightly more manageable.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
You said your wife doesn't want to live in a cramped housing enclave. Are you able to elaborate on that? Does she want more yard, more sqft, or both?

The parcels in the hills are very deceiving. Driving by, you'd think they are small or odd shaped. When you are able to get beyond those gates or into the backyard, there's often a different story to be told. So if that perception is what's driving her concern, I'd suggest going to a few open houses and getting a better feel for these types of spaces because she may very well enjoy them and that would open up many more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles