U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2017, 06:10 PM
 
4,795 posts, read 4,389,373 times
Reputation: 7337

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Still risky though in case the kids don't get in. Better to just avoid LAUSD neighborhoods. There are other reasons to avoid those neighborhoods, as most of them are in the city of L.A. and thus have subpar public services.
I generally avoid areas serviced by LAPD as much as I would avoid LAUSD. But yeah everything that is serviced by city of LA government is a crapshoot
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM
 
95 posts, read 194,663 times
Reputation: 29
Thank you! We may definitely rent for a year first. Full Armour, I agree that Thousand Oaks may definitely be the best choice for me, I just want to make sure it's commutable to Culver City. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 PM
 
6,040 posts, read 5,606,645 times
Reputation: 16753
Quote:
Originally Posted by paigemadison View Post
Thank you! We may definitely rent for a year first. Full Armour, I agree that Thousand Oaks may definitely be the best choice for me, I just want to make sure it's commutable to Culver City. Thanks!!
IMHO, the commute will sap your soul. I did it for 2 years from Northridge and it got to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,443 posts, read 27,230,707 times
Reputation: 7452
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
IMHO, the commute will sap your soul. I did it for 2 years from Northridge and it got to me.
Thousand Oaks is a rough commute, because of the distance, the congestion, the other drivers, and the lack of alternatives to driving. There isn't a Metrolink that goes there. (Has there been talk of one?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 10,217,143 times
Reputation: 7983
Thousand Oaks has a high quality of life (like south OC). There is always a price. In this case it is a difficult commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 10,217,143 times
Reputation: 7983
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Thousand Oaks is a rough commute, because of the distance, the congestion, the other drivers, and the lack of alternatives to driving. There isn't a Metrolink that goes there. (Has there been talk of one?)
Neither Metrolink nor Metro although Moorpark has one.

https://www.metrolinktrains.com/glob...-timetable.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 08:08 AM
 
Location: South Pasadena
688 posts, read 2,481,719 times
Reputation: 560
Sorry I'm a little late to this one. Depending on where in Culver City the job is you may have commuting options via the Expo Line. It is possible to get from where I am, South Pasadena, to CC via light rail. Currently you have to switch trains twice in DTLA but that will change next year when the downtown connector is finished. It's a $1.75 to ride one way. You can use Google maps to get a time estimate on the public transportation option, my guess is 45min to 60min now and less once the connector is finished.

Not lots of options in SP in your price range but this would open up options along the Gold Line route or along the Blue Line route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 06:06 PM
 
83 posts, read 107,167 times
Reputation: 107
LOL at commuting from Thousand Oaks to Culver City. Some people do it... but I would never do it. I don't want to waste my life and get fat sitting in traffic.

What about doing a townhouse in Culver? They are getting pretty pricey too. I'd stick around the Valley.

TO is nice but its also dry and hot and and the worst part of it is the insane commute. Why would you do that to yourself or your loved one. Life is too short to spend it on that miserable commute. If you are doing TO I would actually consider Torrance over Thousand Oaks. Your commute will be better from Torrance to Culver City and it is a good area with a lot of jobs too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 PM
 
4,795 posts, read 4,389,373 times
Reputation: 7337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan80 View Post
LOL at commuting from Thousand Oaks to Culver City. Some people do it... but I would never do it. I don't want to waste my life and get fat sitting in traffic.

What about doing a townhouse in Culver? They are getting pretty pricey too. I'd stick around the Valley.

TO is nice but its also dry and hot and and the worst part of it is the insane commute. Why would you do that to yourself or your loved one. Life is too short to spend it on that miserable commute. If you are doing TO I would actually consider Torrance over Thousand Oaks. Your commute will be better from Torrance to Culver City and it is a good area with a lot of jobs too.
Thousand Oaks doesn't actually get that hot because it's close to the ocean. Look at the daily temps over the summer. It hit 100 maybe 3 days and most of the days in June, July, August had highs in the 70s and 80's. It didn't even get into the 90's often over the summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 03:04 PM
 
Location: San Fernando Valley
240 posts, read 210,223 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There aren't any condos in CC under $700K? What's this, then?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...19_rect/12_zm/

A 50 minute commute from West Hills going southwest towards CC would at best put you in Beverly Glen and more likely put you in Sherman Oaks.
I said there aren't any 3 bedroom condos in Culver City under $700K. The one you posted is a 2 bedroom. There are literally only 5 2 bedroom options in Culver City.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top