Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 PM

55 posts, read 51,542 times

Advertisements

I am in love with the prospect of living in the LA area. I want to attend the UCLA extension program and earn a paralegal certificate. My issue is the stories that I have been researching about the pollution there. IS there anyone here that lived in the area and can tell me how your health has been?

What can a person do to combat this environmental issue?Besides staying inside and not exercising outside on hot ozone days.

Also do you know if there are big houses that are divided up converted into studio apartments.
I lived in Canada and a woman divided up a house like this.........

There were 4 kitchenettes in which you did not have to share a bathroom. The bathroom was a small area with a sink, toilet and shower. I would love to find one of these in a decent neighborhood in the LA area

It truly breaks my heart to know that you can live there and develop health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
I'd be more concerned with the cost of housing then pollution

Old 10-19-2017, 06:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
I am in love with the prospect of living in the LA area. I want to attend the UCLA extension program and earn a paralegal certificate. My issue is the stories that I have been researching about the pollution there. IS there anyone here that lived in the area and can tell me how your health has been?

What can a person do to combat this environmental issue?Besides staying inside and not exercising outside on hot ozone days.

Also do you know if there are big houses that are divided up converted into studio apartments.
I lived in Canada and a woman divided up a house like this.........

There were 4 kitchenettes in which you did not have to share a bathroom. The bathroom was a small area with a sink, toilet and shower. I would love to find one of these in a decent neighborhood in the LA area

It truly breaks my heart to know that you can live there and develop health issues.
Housing costs are the biggest worry.

If you want to get a paralegal certificate in California aren't there schools in cheaper areas than L.A.?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
It's kind of funny that a lot of people not from L.A talk about smog and air quality but we don't really ever walk about it.

Air quality is definitely going to vary depending on the area too

Here is a map for example

http://graphics.latimes.com/responsi...ution-burdens/

Regarding housing you can look for private rooms in houses that have their own private bedrooms . I'm guessing that is something like what you are talking about .

Not sure your budget but even private rooms are pretty expensive especially if in nice areas .

Less than your own apartment of course .

Old 10-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. What other areas in California do you suggest?

It will be just myself so I can live in a nice small studio.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

I am a single college educated person with no kids so I feel that I can find a job or 2-3 part time jobs in customer service, the hotel industry (my former career field), or administrative support. IF I am not able to find a full time job....I am determined and resourceful and will work overnight if necessary.

I have seen studios for $900-$1100 a month. I would live in a house situation but do not want to share a kitchen or bathroom... This is why I hope there are kitchenette options available in the large homes.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM

Old 10-20-2017, 10:13 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:

Sacramento, if you want to be in a big city. Maybe the IE

Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:

Where are you living? Can you get a paralegal training/certification where you are now?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'd be more concerned with the cost of housing then pollution
Compared with what it was in the 1960s, the LA area's air quality has improved a lot due to more stringent environmental regulations, cleaner burning vehicles, and the economic shift from industrial-based economy to more of a services based economic base.

And yes, the cost of housing will be a big concern - your bank account might be allergic to the rents here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles