Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It matters a lot...to the neighbors of Arcadia who want other Chinese there and only other Chinese people there.
Uh no. The only color that counts is the color of your money when you buy a place. Puh-leez. Isn't that the American way?

Last edited by silverkris; 10-26-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
You are in Silicon Valley and not down here in the SGV. We know how it is here and how people are being forced out of houses due to ever increasing taxes. Only for Chinese to move in and develop a are to make it much more dense population wise. All the while pricing out people that have to use mortgages to buy a house, instead they are paying cash for a house.
C'mon man. We're in the same state, we're covered by Prop 13, and we face the same tug of war over development vs open spaces arguments up here in the Bay Area. And you darned well know how bloody pricey Silicon Valley is.

So where do taxes come up then? If you're a homeowner, you get the mortgage deduction on your taxes, your property taxes don't increase all that much because of Prop 13. The issue is that you gotta have the money to afford it in the first place.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Arcadia was always upper middle class and was not in need of gentrification. Arcadia experienced mansionization, not gentrification. One more thing: You indicate that you are certain that the kids of former residents cannot afford the homes. You don't know that. Did you ask if the homes would even appeal to them? So many of the homes are lacking in taste and are terribly oversized for their lot sizes.
Which is why, as I've said, if I'm going to pay that kind of $ for a home, I'd go for San Marino. It's also majority Asian but it still has that old money look and feel, the surroundings are nicer. I think the trade-off with the nanny-state government on code enforcement is acceptable.

Plus I'm still near all those Asian eateries and businesses.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Homes are built by speculators of one ethnicity exclusively for buyers of one ethnicity; marketed exclusively to buyers of one ethnicity, through agents of one ethnicity, etc.

This is the United States. These practices are not permissible.
The builder/ sellers do not discriminate based on ethnicity so why is this marketing practice not acceptable? This is not the case where blacks need not apply.

If you are let's say, black or Hispanic, and want to buy one of the homes in a predominately Asian community and you can afford it, has there been cases that you were rejected just because you are not Asian?

One can say the same in reverse, if you were Asian and want to buy in Watts or East LA?

The builder/ developers are developing products, in this case houses, that tailored to a certain market buyers. This practice is routinely done. Why is the housing development tailored to rich Chinese be any different?

Old 10-26-2017, 03:13 PM

86 posts, read 80,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So what? If they have the means to live there, aren't breaking any laws, what does it matter what culture they're from?

Same kind of xenophobic stuff they said about Irish, Italians and others over 100 years ago.
This thread is very entertaining!

I'm a classic INTJ libertarian who often rolls the eyes at the current stupidity of the SJW culture that is so boorishly - and ignorantly - loud these days, but the equally boorish voices from the "Myopia and Xenophobia" crowd from their twins on the other end of the political spectrum is similarly fascinating...until one realizes that their actually serious.

Anyhoo, the xenophobia exhibited towards the Chinese Americans that is sprinkled in this current...ahem..."discussion" actually precedes most ethnicities as it began about the same time as the "No Irish Need Apply" era which started in the mid-19th Century. At least for the Irish they had a US Prez over 50 yrs ago and mistreatment towards them today is about as likely as seeing Puff the Magic Dragon flying in the sky...

A brief list of official xenophobic Govt Acts against the Chinese Americans that were instituted OVER 100 years ago while current discussions about them still exist today:

Act for the Protection of Fisheries (1860)
The Act for the Protection of Fisheries, the first fishing restriction, requires the purchase of a $4 license by all Chinese American fishermen.

Chinese Police Tax (1862)
Entitled “An Act to Protect Free White Labor against Competition with Chinese Coolie Labor, and to Discourage the Immigration of Chinese into the State of California,” the legislation levies a tax of $2.50 per month on all Chinese residing in the state, except those not employed in production or manufacture of tea, rice, coffee, or sugar.

Asian Exclusion Act (1875)
The first immigration law to exclude groups of people from the United States—and women are part of that exclusion.
Commonly referred to as the Asian Exclusion Act, the legislation prohibits the importation of Chinese laborers who do not voluntarily consent to come to work in America and Chinese women for the purposes of prostitution. Although the law is enacted to limit the trafficking in women for prostitution, it is used in a negative way to prevent women who are single and unemployed from entering the United States when they do not appear to have a means of support.

Chinese Exclusion Act (1882)
Congress passes the Chinese Exclusion Act, suspending the immigration of Chinese laborers to the United States. It is the first U.S. restriction on immigration based on race and nationality.

Scott Act (1888)
The Scott Act prohibits the reentry of a Chinese laborer to the U.S. unless he has property worth $1,000 or family in the country. The Act reclassifies all persons of Chinese ancestry, regardless of citizenship or nationality, as Chinese and therefore subject to exclusion.

Bingham Ordinance (1890)
The Bingham Ordinance creates a ghetto, declaring that Chinese people, including citizens, must not live or work in San Francisco, except in "a portion set apart for the location of all the Chinese."

Geary Act (1892)
The Geary Act requires all Chinese residents of the United States to carry a resident permit—America’s first internal passbook. Failure to carry the permit at all times is punishable by deportation or a year at hard labor. In addition, Chinese are not allowed to bear witness in court, and could not receive bail in habeas corpus proceedings.

Section 60 of California’s Civil Code (1880)
Section 60 of California’s Civil Code is amended to forbid marriage between whites and "Mongolians."

California Alien Land Acts (1913)
The California Alien Land Acts prohibit Chinese and Japanese from owning land. Other states pass similar laws.

Asiatic Barred Zone (1917)
The Immigration Act of 1917 adds to the number of "undesirables" banned from entering the country. The definition includes but is not limited to "idiots," "feeble-minded persons," "epileptics," "insane persons," alcoholics, "professional beggars," all persons "mentally or physically defective," polygamists, and anarchists. Furthermore, it bars all immigrants over the age of 16 who are illiterate. The most controversial section of the law designates an "Asiatic Barred Zone," including much of eastern Asia and the Pacific Islands, from which people cannot immigrate. The zone excludes Japan, Guam, and the Philippines. Previously, only the Chinese had been excluded from admission to the country.

Cable Act (1922)
The Cable Act decrees that any American woman who marries "an alien ineligible for citizenship shall cease to be a citizen of the United States."

Old 10-26-2017, 03:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,535 times
Pro Tip:

Left Wing coalitions are inherently fragmented. You have muslims and feminists, black men and gays, asains and bleeding hearts. It's quite easy to exploit these differences, but most of all it's deliciously fun.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Your entire premise that Arcadia is "unfriendly" is because your children were not able to make any friends.

If that's the case, then it does not seem to be a language barrier issue as these kids basically grew up "Americans" with better proficiency in English than their parent's native tongues. This is true whether its Chinese, India, or Hispanic kids.

If your children are not able to make friends in school, that maybe because the other kids are busy with afterschool/ weekend programs. For example, "Hey you want to come over to my house to play after school?", "no I can't. I have piano/ tutoring/ (fill in your blank) after school". On Saturdays it's usually the Chinese language school or tutoring programs.

You see, you are dealing with highly competitive parents who plan out their children's future early on in life. They did not become wealthy & powerful because they spend their leisure time on "...block parties, bbq's, playdates. ..." with their neighbors. They came to the U.S. so their children will become leaders in companies/ industry/ government when they grow up. They started planning on how their children can get into Harvard/ MIT/ Stanford soon after the children were born. Eventually these children will go back to China and take over the family corporations, grow them to even bigger, or becoming movers & shakers in the industry/ government. They are doing these no different than what the rich & powerful are doing in any countries, e.g., the Kennedys, the Bush's, the Trump's, etc.

Another thing. In my experience being "friendly" transcend any language/ culture barriers. I've always found a smile and a nod go a long way in any language. So if you are not able to make friends then there is something else going on.

It sounds like you've already make plan to move. I wish you well in the new neighborhood and find happiness.
It never ceases to amaze me how so many children of Southeast Asian immigrants who arrived in the United States in the mid 1970's are able to speak such perfect English with no trace of any kind of an accent, yet, when their parents speak English, that is, if they speak any English at all, they can be very difficult to understand what they are saying. You have to be a very close listener and try to figure out what they are trying to say by the words that you can understand. But their children, they're ranked the best in school and go on to have lucrative careers. And they did it all on their own, with as little assistance as possible from the US govt. They are certainly not freeloaders or people expecting something for nothing. It's like they actually *get* what America is all about and what it takes to be successful better than a good many of the native born Americans of European descent whose familys have been here for more than a hundred years and they are the ones who created the system that we have.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:38 PM

86 posts, read 80,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
LOL! The Irish don't invade and ethnically cleanse other countries, nor do they torture and eat dogs and cats.

Meanwhile, the Chinese do this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/w...m-exhibit.html

A museum in China this week removed a photography exhibit, which juxtaposed images of wild African animals with black African people, after complaints that the display was racist.

This is what you are defending. Why not just admit you hate right-wingers? Moderate my left cheek.

LOLWIROTFSAFWEAPT!!!

If the standard for considering immigration into the US were people that "don't invade and ethnically cleanse other countries" then the only people in this Great Land would be the Native Americans...but some people did a fairly good job of invading and cleansing out those people already. As for eating dogs and cats...I've not tried it but with a little bit of salt and ketchup I bet it tastes better than lamb. Definitely better than foie gras which has to be the most pungent and odorous food on the planet.

I am a libertarian Constitutionalist. Power of the individual and minorities against the injustice of Government is pretty big to me: Liberty, Don't Tread on Me, 2nd Amendment stuff...if you were to step into my house with threatening intent then I'd cap your head off with my Magnum .357, and then go grill a rib-eye on my Weber the next instant without feeling a thing for you except the fact that your filthy blood dirtied my house a bit.

You're right...I hate ignorant and xenophobic Right-Wingers. I hate ignorant and boorish Left-Wingers too. I love dogs, butterflies and pretty much all of nature...allergic to cats, though.

Having said that, you're not a Right-Winger...you're just an idiot.

Here's some pics for you:
Lynching Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images

As for the Chinese, it's funny, of all the great historic cultures of the World they were the ones who built the greatest border wall in all of history to keep out invaders and those who wished to cleanse their culture so your pretzel logic is good stuff Brah. And, from your perspective, the Opium Wars were probably about how the Chinese were trying to force themselves upon the British peoples...LOLWIROTFSAFWEAPT...

Old 10-26-2017, 04:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
The builder/ sellers do not discriminate based on ethnicity so why is this marketing practice not acceptable? This is not the case where blacks need not apply.

The builder/ developers are developing products, in this case houses, that tailored to a certain market buyers. This practice is routinely done. Why is the housing development tailored to rich Chinese be any different?
So the anti-discrimination rules apply mainly to blacks and Hispanics. I was not aware of that. Is it codified that way?

I was not aware that it is permissible for builders/developers to tailor to only one target ethnicity. Can you provide other examples of such targeting?

Quote:

If you are let's say, black or Hispanic, and want to buy one of the homes in a predominately Asian community and you can afford it, has there been cases that you were rejected just because you are not Asian?

One can say the same in reverse, if you were Asian and want to buy in Watts or East LA?

So the way we determine whether there was housing discrimination is whether suits were filed and the number and outcome of such suits.

Let me let you in on a secret: I am ok with what is happening in Arcadia, but I want to point out the hypocrisy which stinks to high heaven.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:00 PM

645 posts, read 750,592 times
[quote=saimamom;49884907]My husband, four kids and I moved to Arcadia five months ago (job). We rented here because the move was so hurried and we had to get the kids registered in public schools. We initially tried to get the two older kids in Pasadena private schools so we could rent in Pasadena. But it didn't work out and here we are.

Arcadia has a lot of families and plenty of kids. But they never play or go outside. My kids rode their bikes and played outside during the Summer. But they could never find any kids to befriend. It was like the Twilight Zone. When school started, they were disappointed again that many kids didn't have the outgoing and humorous personalities they had hoped. Every kid was hyper focused on being perfect, almost robotic in their schooling. My kids are A students but I have raised them to have varied interests.

Maybe it's my years in San Francisco that makes me feel out of place here. I'm used to strangers looking me in the eye, smiling and even saying "hello." I'm used to neighbors actually stopping and talking with each other. I'm used to block parties, bbq's, playdates. None of that exists here. My husband and I are now getting ready to move to Pasadena this Summer. We're touring private schools soon. We decided we'll make a sacrifice of buying an older, smaller home so our kids can live a happier life. It's a shame that a cute town like Arcadia probably used to have a strong sense of community in "the good old days." I'm guessing that San Marino is even less friendly and more conservative? Pasadena is more liberal and more diverse?[/QUOTE

Probably because it's all asians! lol They are not that friendly. I do like the santa anita mall though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles