Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,515 times

Advertisements

It's interesting how within Greater LA one area can have a look, feel, and overall mentality absolutely nothing like another area nearby (one of its many strengths, in my opinion). Anyway, I was born, raised, and lived most of my life in Pasadena, then lived briefly in Arcadia, and now in Fullerton.

Pasadena has a look and feel very similar to the Midwest (especially, say, Ohio), so I'd summarize it as superficially conservative overall although not truly conservative underneath the surface, yet overall extremely conservative compared to, say, Hollywood; and the most expensive areas of Pasadena are genuinely conservative definitely. Overall though it's a very appealing place to live, full of historical buildings and many trees like oaks and elms. Also, a million times friendlier than Arcadia, very easy to socialize and make lasting friendships in Pasadena. I still visit Pasadena to spend time with a good friend and it hasn't changed at all since I was a child. Also if you move there its central location within LA County is very nice because you're only a 10-minute drive to Downtown LA and just a 30-minute to a 1-hour drive to a lot of the major beaches, for instance just a 30-minute drive to Malibu and just a 1-hour drive to Balboa in Newport Beach (both very amazing of course).

Nothing could prepare me for the culture shock move from Pasadena over the border to Arcadia. I admit I'm not of Chinese descent or East Asian descent at all, but I don't 100% consider the culture of Arcadia to be Chinese, more like nouveau-rich-San-Gabriel-Valley-Chinese (to be blunt and I'll probably step on a lot of toes here, but snobby, cliquish, uber-materialistic, new "mini-mansions" everywhere, and living and breathing ONLY academics or business) -- I mean, my only friend made there (and a very good friend at that) was a recent immigrant from China, very kind person and very kind family. Living there was a very isolating experience (especially since life circumstances don't always permit frequent visits to other areas of Greater LA of course).

Now that I live in Fullerton and have for 8.5 years and very much adapted, it's culture shock for me to return to Pasadena because compared to how friendly and down-to-earth people are here in Fullerton, which honestly resembles the Deep South in everything except for politics, and people in Pasadena see me as a Martian when I start trying to earnestly chat with strangers. I've found my definite niche. And Fullerton's quite in a central location, too (still just 30 minutes from Pasadena).

But, yeah, if you find Arcadia as isolating and unfriendly as I did, which is completely understandable, I strongly advise making that move to Pasadena, where it's very easy to make friends in most contexts in life there. I didn't mean to scare you away from Pasadena when mentioning Fullerton -- people in Pasadena are far more real than in the most areas of LA County (yeah, I said it) and genuine in their friendships (I'll mention some of the other areas I find to have very "real" people though -- Downtown LA, (maybe surprising to people but) Malibu, San Dimas, Calabasas [except for the gated section of Calabasas that includes the Kardashians], Catalina, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Old Town Monrovia (yeah it's not just businesses and it's different from the rest of Monrovia), some examples); I just mean that Pasadena's not the kind of place where one starts bearing their life story on a stranger walking on the sidewalk is all.

Last edited by FunkyDucky; 10-27-2017 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:13 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,048,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDucky View Post
It's interesting how within Greater LA one area can have a look, feel, and overall mentality absolutely nothing like another area nearby (one of its many strengths, in my opinion). Anyway, I was born, raised, and lived most of my life in Pasadena, then lived briefly in Arcadia, and now in Fullerton.

Pasadena has a look and feel very similar to the Midwest (especially, say, Ohio), so I'd summarize it as superficially conservative overall although not truly conservative underneath the surface, yet overall extremely conservative compared to, say, Hollywood; and the most expensive areas of Pasadena are genuinely conservative definitely. Overall though it's a very appealing place to live, full of historical buildings and many trees like oaks and elms. Also, a million times friendlier than Arcadia, very easy to socialize and make lasting friendships in Pasadena. I still visit Pasadena to spend time with a good friend and it hasn't changed at all since I was a child. Also if you move there its central location within LA County is very nice because you're only a 10-minute drive to Downtown LA and just a 30-minute to a 1-hour drive to a lot of the major beaches, for instance just a 30-minute drive to Malibu and just a 1-hour drive to Balboa in Newport Beach (both very amazing of course).

Nothing could prepare me for the culture shock move from Pasadena over the border to Arcadia. I admit I'm not of Chinese descent or East Asian descent at all, but I don't 100% consider the culture of Arcadia to be Chinese, more like nouveau-rich-San-Gabriel-Valley-Chinese (to be blunt and I'll probably step on a lot of toes here, but snobby, cliquish, uber-materialistic, new "mini-mansions" everywhere, and living and breathing ONLY academics or business) -- I mean, my only friend made there (and a very good friend at that) was a recent immigrant from China, very kind person and very kind family. Living there was a very isolating experience (especially since life circumstances don't always permit frequent visits to other areas of Greater LA of course).

Now that I live in Fullerton and have for 8.5 years and very much adapted, it's culture shock for me to return to Pasadena because compared to how friendly and down-to-earth people are here in Fullerton, which honestly resembles the Deep South in everything except for politics, and people in Pasadena see me as a Martian when I start trying to earnestly chat with strangers. I've found my definite niche. And Fullerton's quite in a central location, too (still just 30 minutes from Pasadena).

But, yeah, if you find Arcadia as isolating and unfriendly as I did, which is completely understandable, I strongly advise making that move to Pasadena, where it's very easy to make friends in most contexts in life there. I didn't mean to scare you away from Pasadena when mentioning Fullerton -- people in Pasadena are far more real than in the most areas of LA County (yeah, I said it) and genuine in their friendships (I'll mention some of the other areas I find to have very "real" people though -- Downtown LA, (maybe surprising to people but) Malibu, San Dimas, Calabasas [except for the gated section of Calabasas that includes the Kardashians], Catalina, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Old Town Monrovia (yeah it's not just businesses and it's different from the rest of Monrovia), some examples); I just mean that Pasadena's not the kind of place where one starts bearing their life story on a stranger walking on the sidewalk is all.

I enjoy Fullerton too. It’s central to the best of both LA and OC. Has a great mix of newer and older buildings as well as socioeconomic diversity.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:56 AM

101 posts, read 304,679 times
Quote:

Thank you for that great answer. I think you summed up what I've seen and experienced as well. We are a little worried about Pasadena and paying for four private school tuitions! So La Canada Flintridge is second on the list, followed by Claremont.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:30 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,399 times
If you can afford La Canada, definitely go for it. Great area with excellent public schools. It's advantage is that it's a quiet, sequestered area that's still close to more happening areas where where you can quickly hop on the 2 and 210 freeways to get to Pasadena, Glendale, or Downtown LA.

Claremont is a nice area as well. It is essentially a college town with the Village in the middle of town, which has quaint shops and good spots to eat. Plus, you'll get more house for your money and public schools are good. The downside is that it's out of the way especially if you plan to work or spend a lot of time in core LA. It is a good location if you have a job in eastern LA county or the western part of the Inland Empire. Nearby La Verne is another solid choice if you're considering eastern LA county.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,053 times
Quote:

I don't actually live here but I visit here alot for work and also to visit family. Asian culture doesn't encourage displays of emotion and friendliness. Many residents here are immigrants from Asia and may be more comfortable conversing in their native language than in English. I think culturally, we grew in reserved house holds and I totally understand how you feel as I find it difficult to make friends too....and I am asian! Its just a different culture that you were exposed to growing up.

But I think people here are friendly and willing to help out when needed since my mother had made friends over the last few years she has been living here and I have witnessed how she interacts with her friends and neighbors. I guess its harder for you since you are non asian but I think it would be just as difficult for someone who is moving to a community that is ethnically different from him or her.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadia79 View Post
I don't actually live here but I visit here alot for work and also to visit family. Asian culture doesn't encourage displays of emotion and friendliness. Many residents here are immigrants from Asia and may be more comfortable conversing in their native language than in English. I think culturally, we grew in reserved house holds and I totally understand how you feel as I find it difficult to make friends too....and I am asian! Its just a different culture that you were exposed to growing up.

But I think people here are friendly and willing to help out when needed since my mother had made friends over the last few years she has been living here and I have witnessed how she interacts with her friends and neighbors. I guess its harder for you since you are non asian but I think it would be just as difficult for someone who is moving to a community that is ethnically different from him or her.
Well said. I'll add that if a substantial number of the residents are recent immigrants, it's likely that they're just getting settled in and haven't yet really built the bonds/relationships to other neighbors in the area.

Places like Fullerton and Pasadena are likely to have a more substantial % of residents who have been in the neighborhood for a long period of time and have built up bonds to others.

You can also say that generalization about people in, say, New England, where they are a bit more reserved and may take a bit longer to get to know you, but once they do, the relationships are more likely to be substantial than the superficial friendliness you see in California.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:07 PM

9 posts, read 23,807 times
On the topic of wealthy Chinese, does anyone know 1) how most became so wealthy 2) if rules and regulations for moving money out of China is effective or if there are loopholes

Old 10-30-2017, 01:47 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

You can also say that generalization about people in, say, New England, where they are a bit more reserved and may take a bit longer to get to know you, but once they do, the relationships are more likely to be substantial than the superficial friendliness you see in California.
Haha... Just for fun....

Koreans are like the Germans, not very expressive in their emotions. No facial expressions whatsoever.

Vietnamese are like Southerners, polite and smile a lot but you never know how they really feel about you.

Chinese are like the British, they only respect you if you are richer than they are.

Japanese are like the French, they *really* think they have the superior culture.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Haha... Just for fun....

Koreans are like the Germans, not very expressive in their emotions. No facial expressions whatsoever.

Vietnamese are like Southerners, polite and smile a lot but you never know how they really feel about you.

Chinese are like the British, they only respect you if you are richer than they are.

Japanese are like the French, they *really* think they have the superior culture.
It seems you are unfamiliar with Korean tempers.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:46 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It seems you are unfamiliar with Korean tempers.
No. You are unfamiliar with German temper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles