Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:48 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times

Advertisements

I did understand that this coming visit is a short one, but you still need to be thinking about schools now. By the time he gets here next summer, it'll be too late for both charter and private schools as their admissions will be long finalised (applications due Dec/Jan, advice of place for coming year usually given in March/early April). Unless you are preparing applications now, your street address is going to end up being the biggest determinant of what school he will be attending.

I'm not trying to falsely alarm you, it's just a pretty complicated and lengthy process to find good schools for your kids here. It's criminal how poorly served LA is in terms of decent affordable education options, considering we live in one of the wealthiest urban areas in the country, if not globally. But that's a topic for another thread!

For this upcoming two week trip, I agree with you to focus on Santa Monica/Westside for a week because you can use public transport and it might meet all your criteria. Not sure about the second week though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 02:41 AM

80 posts, read 84,613 times
Awesome Cloudwalker, thank you so much!

I had no idea that the applications needed to be made that early, I need to get on the ball and find a few potential schools for him and apply now while.

I appreciate the info, it really helps.

And Westside it is for the first week at least. I'll check out what's available on AirBnB later today.

Any other suggestions for our second week? South Bay? South Valley (NoHo, Encino, Sherman Oaks)? Hipsterville (SL/EP)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
I did understand that this coming visit is a short one, but you still need to be thinking about schools now. By the time he gets here next summer, it'll be too late for both charter and private schools as their admissions will be long finalised (applications due Dec/Jan, advice of place for coming year usually given in March/early April). Unless you are preparing applications now, your street address is going to end up being the biggest determinant of what school he will be attending.

I'm not trying to falsely alarm you, it's just a pretty complicated and lengthy process to find good schools for your kids here. It's criminal how poorly served LA is in terms of decent affordable education options, considering we live in one of the wealthiest urban areas in the country, if not globally. But that's a topic for another thread!

For this upcoming two week trip, I agree with you to focus on Santa Monica/Westside for a week because you can use public transport and it might meet all your criteria. Not sure about the second week though.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Walking areas - west hollywood, westwood village. I think these are some of the top walking areas in LA.

They are more expensive, but you can sometimes luck into really good deals in west hollywood.

Also, have you considered OC? Definitely a lot less walkable, but the schools are much much better, and John Wayne is a great airport with a lot of flights.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:39 PM

Thanks Happi,

Is Westwood Village still squeaky clean university preppy-ville? I want to challenge my boy a bit, he's been secluded and sheltered in Europe and hardly even seen a homeless person, much less a person of color. I'd like to give him a better impression of the "real world" beyond the borders here, without scaring him to death .

So WeHo might be a good call, I'll look into it. Since it's only for a week, the price isn't such an issue.

Now that I've looked at high schools, it seems the easiest option is for me to move close to where one of the better ranked public or charter schools is located. That or pay $30k or more (most are closer to $40) for a private school. Probably cheaper to move! At least there are a lot to choose from, lol.

I managed to secure a place in Venice for our first week, so that's taken care of. I should probably get a rental car soon too...

I have considered OC, and in fact lived in Anaheim as a kid, used to spend almost every weekend at Huntington Beach, loved it there. It seems that OC has moved past LA in general overall standard of living, income levels, although it still feels like suburbia to me. Haven't been there in decades, so maybe I'll take my son down there for a few days to check it out. Irvine has a slew of great high schools...

Is John Wayne an International airport? I'll have to have a look and see what they offer.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Walking areas - west hollywood, westwood village. I think these are some of the top walking areas in LA.

They are more expensive, but you can sometimes luck into really good deals in west hollywood.

Also, have you considered OC? Definitely a lot less walkable, but the schools are much much better, and John Wayne is a great airport with a lot of flights.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
Thanks Happi,

Is Westwood Village still squeaky clean university preppy-ville? I want to challenge my boy a bit, he's been secluded and sheltered in Europe and hardly even seen a homeless person, much less a person of color. I'd like to give him a better impression of the "real world" beyond the borders here, without scaring him to death .

So WeHo might be a good call, I'll look into it. Since it's only for a week, the price isn't such an issue.

Now that I've looked at high schools, it seems the easiest option is for me to move close to where one of the better ranked public or charter schools is located. That or pay $30k or more (most are closer to $40) for a private school. Probably cheaper to move! At least there are a lot to choose from, lol.
Westwood Village is no longer squeaky clean, but it's boring and quite dead. The homeowners' groups keep it from being restored to its 1970s/80s glory. It's a dull part of town.

If you want good schools you would not want either Westwood or West Hollywood as both are in LAUSD. Beverly Hills is between Westwood (to the west) and West Hollywood (to the east) and has excellent schools but as you know is super expensive. Although the cost of moving there is probably less than the cost of living in WeHo with tuition on top of that

Culver City has good schools and is not that far driving-wise from Westwood or West Hollywood but is not that much cheaper

Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info Majoun.

I spent a few hours Googling the top rated schools in the area and ended up with 20-30 on my list. If I'm not mistaken, only one was in LAUSD, in DTLA. I guess that fits with what I've been hearing.

We'll spend a few days in the South Bay and Long Beach, and a few in the Valley to get a feel for the two places and see what he thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Westwood Village is no longer squeaky clean, but it's boring and quite dead. The homeowners' groups keep it from being restored to its 1970s/80s glory. It's a dull part of town.

If you want good schools you would not want either Westwood or West Hollywood as both are in LAUSD. Beverly Hills is between Westwood (to the west) and West Hollywood (to the east) and has excellent schools but as you know is super expensive. Although the cost of moving there is probably less than the cost of living in WeHo with tuition on top of that

Culver City has good schools and is not that far driving-wise from Westwood or West Hollywood but is not that much cheaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles