Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM

179 posts, read 272,190 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Chicago.

I plan to drive to LA soon (maybe arriving in the middle of next week) to do something like a six- to eight-week stint and see if I want to stay on longer. The reason is to pursue acting classes and work. Since my plan is not to commit to a lease for a year but rather do a "trial period", I am seeking advice for short-term accommodation. Extended StayAmerica, a hostel, a motel, someone's couch, a rented room in a home... I am open to ideas but not sure what people in the know have to say. The aim is to have a place to sleep, not a big, pricey pad. Please reply/send a message with opportunities you are aware of, experiences you've had, etc.

Also: where would be a strategic location to seek accommodation given the fact that I would like to have decent access to classes, auditions, studios, etc.? I don't know LA enough to judge whether or not things are so spread out the answer is "fuggedaboutit" or whether I really should cut out certain areas and stick to looking into certain parts.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
I'd start looking on CL for sublets/roomate situations. Most of extended stay type hotels are going to be at least $120/night and even cheap motels with hookers and addicts living there are going to be around $80/mo so you're looking at least $5000 for 2 months. You should be able to rent a room or sublet for $800-1000 in a decent area in the valley for example. Look at Burbank, Glendale, North Hollywood, Studio City, Sherman Oaks. All close to Hollywood and there plenty of acting clases and studios around there as well.

Air BNB is probably the best best to have something lined up for relatively cheap when you arrive but that will still add up as much as a hotel unless you can find someone to cut you a deal for a longer stay

Old 10-23-2017, 01:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
AirBnB a room near your intended work. For instance in Hollywood, where 1br's go for $2000+ with a 12mo lease, you can get away with spending <$1700/mo. Marginally cheaper if you go to the Valley or farther out.

This is done all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles