Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:49 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times

Advertisements

I have lived my entire life and I have got to say this is a third world country!

Their is no middle class in L.A. either you are super rich or poor!

Traffic here is close to something you would see in Asia.

Housing here is insane and I dont understand why a house in Van Nuys costs 650K when its not even a nice area!

How do people pay their mortgage are they really making 200K a year?!

I do not understand why in just about any other state in the country 650K gets you a nice house in a good school district.

L.A. sucks and I am hoping I can make 200K+ so I can live here othewise I will need to move to another state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 05:34 PM

137 posts, read 258,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
I have lived my entire life and I have got to say this is a third world country!

Their is no middle class in L.A. either you are super rich or poor!

Traffic here is close to something you would see in Asia.

Housing here is insane and I dont understand why a house in Van Nuys costs 650K when its not even a nice area!

How do people pay their mortgage are they really making 200K a year?!

I do not understand why in just about any other state in the country 650K gets you a nice house in a good school district.

L.A. sucks and I am hoping I can make 200K+ so I can live here othewise I will need to move to another state!
plus you have hoards of dirty illegals

I hate to be that blunt about it but thats the reality

Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Illegals

I do not dislike Illegals. Fact is someone is employing them, giving their kids healthcare, sending their kids to school!

If you lived in Mexico and you recieved all these benifits if you came to America, you would risk your life to come to America.

Every city in America has thousands of illegals & barrios that seem like you are in Mexico because of the above!

This is not exclusive of L.A.!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:46 AM

128 posts, read 461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
I do not dislike Illegals. Fact is someone is employing them, giving their kids healthcare, sending their kids to school!

If you lived in Mexico and you recieved all these benifits if you came to America, you would risk your life to come to America.

Every city in America has thousands of illegals & barrios that seem like you are in Mexico because of the above!

This is not exclusive of L.A.!
not true. go to vermont, rhode isle, no immigration problems. ohio- no immigration problems.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid Canuck View Post
not true. go to vermont, rhode isle, no immigration problems. ohio- no immigration problems.
I visited Stamford, Conn. and Providence, RI this past week. Let me report to you that I passed through many neighborhoods that mirrored exactely what I see in LA. (Illegals, and more illegals..) Signs and billboards in Spanish. Trash everywhere. Graffiti problems. Day laborers on the street corners. Providence was especially bad on the lower-westside. Stamford had a neighborhood just south of I-95 that mimiced East LA. Don't write off Vermont either. The problem is also in Vermont:
As the state of Vermont subsidizes VT farmer's Spanish lessons. http://www.reformer.com/headlines/ci_4963609

The world is-a-changin' and they are taking over!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Newport ever watch Lou Dobbs he is not as blunt as you but agrees with you.

Its sad what is going on to USA.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 31,629 times
Default .....I liiike!

though I haven't lived there, i love places as diverse as LA. OK, there is crime and all but being from Europe there is nothing more depressing than a suburb without any character....everything looks the same....people are scared and don't know how to live with people from other nations. I have NEVER been to a country that is as segregated as the US.....how is a country multicultural if the individual cultures live in different areas and basically hate each other. LA has problems, sure but try Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires and you'll see that it ain't that bad....and if you end up robbed in South Central, it was probably your own fault.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krass42 View Post
though I haven't lived there, i love places as diverse as LA. OK, there is crime and all but being from Europe there is nothing more depressing than a suburb without any character....everything looks the same....people are scared and don't know how to live with people from other nations. I have NEVER been to a country that is as segregated as the US.....how is a country multicultural if the individual cultures live in different areas and basically hate each other. LA has problems, sure but try Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires and you'll see that it ain't that bad....and if you end up robbed in South Central, it was probably your own fault.
French cities seem pretty segregated to me, although I realize that's a recent development.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 PM

128 posts, read 461,722 times
take a trip to canada all of you.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid Canuck View Post
take a trip to canada all of you.
Montreal is a really amazing, amazing city IMO, the most intense, stimulating city in North America next to NYC. This is all just a matter of opinion, but I think the reason why LA people seem to ***** about diversity more than people in similarly or more diverse cities like NY, Montreal, or London is because 50+ years ago or so,before I was born, the attitude in LA was very ANTI-diversity and highly prejudiced (even as late as 1960, L.A. had a higher percentage of white protestants than any US city outside of the South, and the old now-extinct WASP elite continued to control things until the '70s). The "PC" of that time (to use an anachronistic phrase that didn't exist then) in L.A. was "we're NOT like the eastern cities" - as opposed to NYC which has always accepted diversity, or London which was the capital of what was the world's biggest empire.

Haven't been to Vancouver though - maybe someday....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles