Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 AM

335 posts, read 356,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
How ironic that the article is published by a black-only media outlet.
And the data is from 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It was social engineering that established segregation.
In part, yes the policy underpinning segregation was social engineering. How does that justify yet more social engineering? Why not let people live where they want and leave it at that?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
In part, yes the policy underpinning segregation was social engineering. How does that justify yet more social engineering? Why not let people live where they want and leave it at that?
Not trying to say more social engineering is needed. Not at all. I just want the the fair housing laws on the books enforced in all areas, including the Palisades, including Brentwood, including Marin, and including South OC. Make that, especially the Palisades and Brentwood. It's like how I feel about immigration - no need for more laws, just enforce the ones on the books.

If not for social engineering there would have been more natural integration, which is definitely the best kind. Not only local and state government but the feds frowned upon natural integration and used social engineering to establish segregation even in places without Jim Crow (or the Jim Crow-like system that existed in California, which was directed more against Asians than blacks) - e.g. the state Alien Land Law, the federal Housing Act of 1934, the wartime internment, etc.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
but "diversity" op

Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not trying to say more social engineering is needed. Not at all. I just want the the fair housing laws on the books enforced in all areas, including the Palisades, including Brentwood, including Marin, and including South OC. Make that, especially the Palisades and Brentwood. It's like how I feel about immigration - no need for more laws, just enforce the ones on the books.

If not for social engineering there would have been more natural integration, which is definitely the best kind. Not only local and state government but the feds frowned upon natural integration and used social engineering to establish segregation even in places without Jim Crow (or the Jim Crow-like system that existed in California, which was directed more against Asians than blacks) - e.g. the state Alien Land Law, the federal Housing Act of 1934, the wartime internment, etc.
How are the fair housing laws not being enforced in the Palisades and Brentwood?

Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 PM

What about Arcadia?

Old 11-01-2017, 07:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
And the data is from 2010.
2010 is the most recent census . Next one will be 2020.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
This article quoted below is funny since there have been several cases of hostility towards whites moving into certain neighborhoods. Boyle Heights , Highland Park and view park are some examples .

So if white people move into a neighborhood they get called gentrifiers and colonizers but if they don't move in then they get blamed for making neighborhoods more segregated..

I think whites look more at crime rates schools proximity to jobs versus the racial makeup of an area .

If South L.A or East L.A was as safe as Brentwood or Pacific Palisades they wouldnt get more white people moving there?

Also I'm guessing they are also wanting upper middle class or wealthy whites moving in .
Or does the author of the article not discriminate and they'll take some redneck white folks on welfare ?...

"Because so much of the shift in integration is based on whites' decisions about where they will move next, Los Angeles' future demographic patterns are in their hands. If whites do their homework, and find out more about neighborhoods that are now unfamiliar to them, they can make L.A. an example to the nation of how to create integration in the 21st century. Otherwise, knowingly or not, they may reproduce the problems of racial segregation for the future."

L.A. is resegregating -- and whites are a major reason why - LA Times

Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This article quoted below is funny since there have been several cases of hostility towards whites moving into certain neighborhoods. Boyle Heights , Highland Park and view park are some examples .

So if white people move into a neighborhood they get called gentrifiers and colonizers but if they don't move in then they get blamed for making neighborhoods more segregated..

I think whites look more at crime rates schools proximity to jobs versus the racial makeup of an area .

If South L.A or East L.A was as safe as Brentwood or Pacific Palisades they wouldnt get more white people moving there?

Also I'm guessing they are also wanting upper middle class or wealthy whites moving in .
Or does the author of the article not discriminate and they'll take some redneck white folks on welfare ?...

"Because so much of the shift in integration is based on whites' decisions about where they will move next, Los Angeles' future demographic patterns are in their hands. If whites do their homework, and find out more about neighborhoods that are now unfamiliar to them, they can make L.A. an example to the nation of how to create integration in the 21st century. Otherwise, knowingly or not, they may reproduce the problems of racial segregation for the future."

L.A. is resegregating -- and whites are a major reason why - LA Times
Regarding that LAtimes article, I find it amazing how even though there are so few whites in LA (many whites identified as such on the Census are in fact Armenians, Hispanics who identify as white, Persians, Persian Jews, Jews, etc.), yet somehow, mysteriously, whites are responsible for segregation ALL OVER LA.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Regarding that LAtimes article, I find it amazing how even though there are so few whites in LA (many whites identified as such on the Census are in fact Armenians, Hispanics who identify as white, Persians, Persian Jews, Jews, etc.), yet somehow, mysteriously, whites are responsible for segregation ALL OVER LA.
That's an interesting point. I have Jewish neighbors on each side, behind me, on both rear caddy corners, across the street, and across the street on one of my caddy corners, and I don't see them opening their doors to African Americans or lamenting over the lack of African Americans living in Brentwood. That's kind of weird, given the people involved in quite a number of social justice organizations in the U.S. are Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles