Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:51 PM

19 posts, read 48,487 times

Advertisements

I have heard all of the disparaging gossip over the years about the Antelope Valley, and know that overall it is an area that is suffering economically.

However, with the terribly high housing prices in Los Angeles, I keep wondering if the AV would offer a better choice. I am self-employed and no children. Also, I do want a quieter life, would like a small vegetable growing/farm type situation in a more rural area, a few acres, and would only need to drive to Los Angeles a few times a week outside of rush hour. My partner and I (yes, happily married and gay) are looking over the next year or two to find a more rural area to live in as we are growing tired of the high prices, overcrowding and traffic in day to day LA living yet still want to live close enough to enjoy it occasionally. We still love what LA offers, just don't want to be choked by it I guess you could say.

I am curious to hear from people who live in the AV what they think about living there. Any feedback based on real experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 02:31 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
We just moved in to the west side of Palmdale a little over a month ago so can only give you our first impression. Initially I too was worried after reading all the negative comments about this area. But after extensive readings you can decipher 1). Different timeline of these negative comments, 2). Different areas in AV where the bad neighborhoods are, 3). Do your own homework and drive around to see for yourself.

We settled down in the Rancho Vista area of W. Palmdale. It is, IMO, the least “desert-like” neighborhood of AV, plus the nearby AV Mall & the shops on 10th Street West make you think you’re just in another suburbia in California. You could move further west to the Quartz Hills area for extra few miles drive.

From reading your post, i’d suggest Leona Valley, Acton, or further north in Tehachapi maybe more suitable for you, since you do not need to commute and would like a few acres of land.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Orangeles Empire View Post

Antelope Valley is ether a last resort to stay in SoCal, or for people who don’t care much to frequently travel to LA/coastal cities
Well, for us is jobs. High paying good jobs in Aerospace right here in the AV.

Been to IE many times, not impressed. Just last weekend as we drive down on I-15 and see a layer of smogs in the valley, soon we have itchy eyes and scratch throats. AV air quality is far better, no smogs. Traffics in IE is bad in & out of LA County. For the past month, IE suffers heat wave above 100 degrees while we enjoyed the fall weather in the 80s.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Orangeles Empire View Post
The antelope valley is the perfect fit for you then. Santa Clarita would be even better if you can afford it. The reverse commute would be 15 minutes each direction.
It would be 30 - 45 minuets including getting on/ off freeway traffics.

If we have school-age children I would seriously consider Santa Clarita, more specifically Valencia area schools. But since we don’t, considering the housing price difference, I think W Palmdale suits us just fine.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,419 times
Castaic is cheaper and cleaner than Santa Clarita. If you're gonna stay on the 5 corridor it's the best bang for the buck. There are even some 'stars' who live in/near Castaic.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:39 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Happy View Post

I am curious to hear from people who live in the AV what they think about living there. Any feedback based on real experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Vegetable gardens don't do well in the A.V. Too hot in the summer, or more accurately, the sun will bake your produce 'on the vine', and the winds will suck the moisture out of the soil. But, if you take precautions, it is possible to grow things. Historically, there were many orchards in the Quartz Hill area and there are still some in Littlerock and Pearblossom.

For acreage, take a look at Littlerock or west of Lancaster/Palmdale in an area known as Antelope Acres, (around 90th West and centered between E and F). Of the two, (Littlerock and Antelope Acres), I'd opt for AA. Littlerock is a circus on weekends with all the traffic on 138. You can also purchase a 2.5 acre parcel in the unincorporated area between Lancaster and Palmdale. But, those are kinda pricey, especially if they have a decent dwelling on them.

I lived in Rancho Vista for fourteen years, until several months ago. I enjoyed my time there and was pleasantly surprised that the desert high temperatures, except for several weeks in the dead of summer, was no worse than the San Fernando Valley. The evening winds cool down the area nicely, usually. Many complain about the persistent prevailing wind, but it never bothered me. Well, riding a bicycle in a stiff cross wind is not the most enjoyable experience.

What I really loved about the area is that in a few miles in any direction, you are out of suburbia and into the 'countryside'. There are enough cyclists out and about that traffic is used to them and I rarely feared for my safety, (but I ride with front and rear strobe lights, so that may be why). Lancaster is very 'bicycle friendly' and there are bike lanes 'everywhere'. But, that may only last as long as the current mayor keeps getting re-elected.

There is plenty to do, from a cultural standpoint, with the college and a Playhouse/Performing Arts Center in both Lancaster and Palmdale. All the shopping you would need, (except for an Apple Store, which is in Santa Clarita). The racial integration of most of the neighborhoods is refreshing, especially in that 'we all get along with each other'. Sure, there are troublemakers and a 'bad element'. But I've never ran into them in the fourteen years I've lived there. I only moved because I retired and wanted to live in a lower cost-of-living area.

If you and your mate would be content with a small garden, then Lancaster/Palmdale is fine. Just remember one thing, "West of the Freeway". Go visit and drive around - you'll see why.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Thanks HB2HSV and Los Orangeles Empire- for the great feedback. We will look at Leona Valley and Acton to see what those areas are like. I really appreciate it.

tommy64- I have not spent any time above SCV so Castaic may be another possible area though it feels a bit further out than what I was considering. Thanks for your reply though - much appreciated.

Any others, perhaps West Palmdale/West Lancaster/Fairmont? Thanks for everyone's replies!

Old 11-05-2017, 09:52 PM

Volosong- wow! Great advice and helpful info to work with! thanks for the thoughtful reply and I like the way you frame the diversity of areas, so that is nice. I will look at Liittlerock/Pearblosson - just saw it on the map today. Found it interesting to see after doing some online research that Littlerock used to be a large orchard area and fruit processing center many years back. Antelope Acres might be a good bet as well, with a few acres, a little room for mini goats, donkeys, etc. and growing some veggies fits the dream. I think we would also be fine if we had to construct a small greenhouse setup and work with that. We are interested in sustainable living as well, so we will see what we can pull together in that vein. This is sounding much better with the feedback from you, HB2HSV, and Los Orangeles Empire. Thanks everyone!

Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 PM

240 posts, read 240,265 times
I can't say I know much about Palmdale. I managed some rentals up there years ago for the aerospace industry, but just commuted up to deal with the work. That being said, I do think that Acton, Agua Dulce, Castaic, and maybe even Val Verde could work. Castaic should be closer than Palmdale and they have great areas for small acreage. I have a friend with 5 acres in Acton and she loves her little mini-ranch.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Castaic is cheaper and cleaner than Santa Clarita. If you're gonna stay on the 5 corridor it's the best bang for the buck. There are even some 'stars' who live in/near Castaic.
My issue with Castaic is that it has the feel of a "truck stop" town. Always has... It's like someone took Barstow or Mojave and plopped it down in the foothills above Santa Clarita.

I'm not a big fan of hookers, truck drivers and that whole seedy element.

They seem to always be finding a body here, and a body there in the areas around Castaic Lake, Pyramid Lake and in the back country roads up that way off the I-5.

To be truthful, Castaic creeps me out a little bit.

And I don't see why one would be inclined to pay $500k for a home in what amounts to a truck stop town???

I'd rather live further north in Agua Dulce, Acton or the west side of Palmdale where my brother is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles