Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:41 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Indeed. We need more people like Corolla expressing their opinions about L.A., rather than punks like Garcetti who's actually an elitist limousine liberal despite his phoney-baloney recycled radio commercial about a wood paneled station wagon and chili burgers. His insulated life is why he just doesn't get why so many of us, many of us natives, are so infuriated by what's been going on over the span of decades.
Yup quite a different upbringing versus Carolla .
Garcetti is basically a textbook definition of a liberal elite .
It's ok if someone has that kind of "pedigree" but unfortunately it can make some out touch. That's most definitely the case with Garcetti .

"Garcetti, 41, was raised in Encino and attended a public elementary school at UCLA. From 7th to 12th grade, he went to Harvard, then a private boys' school in Studio City. The family moved to Brentwood when he was a senior."

"At Columbia University, Garcetti earned a bachelor's degree in political science and a master's in international affairs. He studied the Eritrean Revolution as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University and the London School of Economics, a stint that led to travels around the world."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
A lot of people don't want stuff in their neighborhood, such as Expo stations, graffiti, etc. What's wrong with wanting to keep a certain level of sophistication and class in one's neighborhood?
The Expo made their property values go up (that, and the horrible westside traffic, caused the opposition to dry up once the station opened)

Sophistication and class is undermined by lack of transportation, not transportation. The "leave me alone in my car" attitude is the exact opposite of sophistication and class (and is the thing I find the most annoying about John and Ken)

By your standards the IE is the height of sophistication and class, although it certainly has a lot of virtues no one could ever say it epitomized sophistication and class.

Funny how you love overregulation as much as the biggest liberal progs. Even though it's killing L.A.

Last edited by majoun; 11-12-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yup quite a different upbringing versus Carolla .
Garcetti is basically a textbook definition of a liberal elite .
It's ok if someone has that kind of "pedigree" but unfortunately it can make some out touch. That's most definitely the case with Garcetti .

"Garcetti, 41, was raised in Encino and attended a public elementary school at UCLA. From 7th to 12th grade, he went to Harvard, then a private boys' school in Studio City. The family moved to Brentwood when he was a senior."

"At Columbia University, Garcetti earned a bachelor's degree in political science and a master's in international affairs. He studied the Eritrean Revolution as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University and the London School of Economics, a stint that led to travels around the world."
Garcetti is an example of someone whose connections got him into all these elite institutions yet he's dumb as a rock.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:58 PM

80 posts, read 84,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Garcetti is an example of someone whose connections got him into all these elite institutions yet he's dumb as a rock.
I don't know of him or his politics, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have lasted long in any of those institutions if he didn't have the smarts and did the work. Connections may or may not have got him in, but you have to do the work to stay and make it through. Even "dumb as a rock" individuals on athletic scholarships have to have a minimum of passing grades to make it through with a degree, or they get dropped.

International experience is also something good to have in that it gives you a different point of view and new ways of seeing local problems, as well as solutions.

Again, I don't know anything about him, just found your criticism a bit unfair. I've been to grad school, I know what it's like to get in and to get through and pass. It's very unlikely anyone who's done that is dumb as a rock. They may not agree with your points of view, but that doesn't make them dumb. From my (admittedly limited) experience with politicians, when they appear dumb as s rock, it's usually because outside influence wants them to have a certain standpoint, which may be against their own better judgement, but very good for their campaign coffers.

Just my 2 cetavos.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
He's lectured us that we should "Thank criminals for their service " aka serving their time in jail .
Doesn't get any dumber than that .

More here

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...ons_for_their/

Old 11-12-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
I don't know of him or his politics, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have lasted long in any of those institutions if he didn't have the smarts and did the work. Connections may or may not have got him in, but you have to do the work to stay and make it through. Even "dumb as a rock" individuals on athletic scholarships have to have a minimum of passing grades to make it through with a degree, or they get dropped.

International experience is also something good to have in that it gives you a different point of view and new ways of seeing local problems, as well as solutions.

Again, I don't know anything about him, just found your criticism a bit unfair. I've been to grad school, I know what it's like to get in and to get through and pass. It's very unlikely anyone who's done that is dumb as a rock. They may not agree with your points of view, but that doesn't make them dumb. From my (admittedly limited) experience with politicians, when they appear dumb as s rock, it's usually because outside influence wants them to have a certain standpoint, which may be against their own better judgement, but very good for their campaign coffers.

Just my 2 cetavos.
There are people in any educational institution, from Fresno Community College to MIT, who do just enough to pass, and who may have a lower IQ but who have persistence. I'd guess Garcetti has some of this.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:08 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
The Expo made their property values go up (that, and the horrible westside traffic, caused the opposition to dry up once the station opened)

Sophistication and class is undermined by lack of transportation, not transportation. The "leave me alone in my car" attitude is the exact opposite of sophistication and class (and is the thing I find the most annoying about John and Ken)

By your standards the IE is the height of sophistication and class, although it certainly has a lot of virtues no one could ever say it epitomized sophistication and class.

Funny how you love overregulation as much as the biggest liberal progs. Even though it's killing L.A.
I've attended four events this year at which there was alcohol consumption, and to attend them I used public transportation so that I could drink all that I desired and not break the law. And frankly, I found public transportation to be disgusting half the time due to having to share a common space with the dregs of this city. Your statement about a lack of public transportation undermining sophistication and class is preposterous, as it has no basis and I cannot imagine how not having public transportation somehow reduces the property values of any given neighborhood. And why is it areas such as the Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Palos Verdes, etc. have high property values without any public rail running through their area?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:19 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
I don't know anything about him, just found your criticism a bit unfair. I've been to grad school, I know what it's like to get in and to get through and pass. It's very unlikely anyone who's done that is dumb as a rock. They may not agree with your points of view, but that doesn't make them dumb.
Have to agree with you there. One does not just slide into Harvard-Westlake or Columbia University, the latter from which he obtained a master's degree. And he didn't become a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University based on connections.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:

Lol... "leave me alone in my car" sure has worked out well for LA.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
He's lectured us that we should "Thank criminals for their service " aka serving their time in jail .
Doesn't get any dumber than that .

More here

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...ons_for_their/
Meanwhile, adam shows his outright contempt for the poor. What a man of the people!

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-movement.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles