Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That will not change.

The Coast will always be expensive as the area is being built out. Eventually the businesses and poor, etc will move. The IE, like around Lake Elsinore, Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Hemet, etc., were not popular areas at one time and now ........ they are. That is the only way it will occur. People will just have to enjoy Barstow.
True. I remember when I was younger going out to Temecula and there wasn't much out there .
It seems inevitable that the Antelope Valley will get more built up in the future .
The county should be focusing on attracting as many jobs and businesses there as possible .

More people would be fine living there if there was some cool stuff to do and decent jobs .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Doug McIntyre announced this morning that by 2035 we'll have a million more people living here. So then, quite obviously, more housing and more public transportation could have a net effect of zero in alleviating our current housing and traffic crises. So then what? Have you build-o-haulics a solution?
One developer told Garcetti that the city should rezone single family housing to higher density multi family .. but I doubt that would go over too well in most areas especially the ones where many of the homeowners are attorneys .

Same developer also wants to reduce parking to build more housing .

I guess we will see if Tranmel Crow starts making some "donations " to get their way .
---
Brad Cox, senior managing partner at the Trammell Crow Company, a commercial real estate developer, said he thinks the city should reduce the amount of parking in LA County and use that space to build additional housing in areas close to public transportation.

“If you densify 4 percent of the city around our transit, you can solve our housing problems,” Cox said.

He added he thinks the county should rezone primarily low-density, single-family housing into more affordable housing units. Currently, 28 percent of housing sites around transit hubs use less than 50 percent of their zoned capacity. Over time, these sites can be rebuilt to include efficient affordable housing, Cox said.

LA Mayor Garcetti, other officials speak about housing issues at event | Daily Bruin

Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Newsom wants to build 3.5 million units in CA by 2025

--
Gubernatorial candidate Gavin Newsom says California officials should set a goal to help 3.5 million new homes get built by 2025 to stem the state’s housing problems.

“Simply put, we’re experiencing a housing affordability crisis, driven by a simple economic argument,” the lieutenant governor said in a post on Medium outlining his housing plan. “California is leading the national recovery, but it’s producing far more jobs than homes. Providing adequate housing is fundamental to growing the state’s economy.”
For that alone, Id vote for him.

To me, housing is the most important issue our state faces.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Haha. Can you imagine a million more people trying to get onto Wilshire or Olympic? La Cienega? La Brea? Those streets are meant for a city of a couple million at most. Poor little Ohio Avenue in West LA, once meant for local access only. The city will truly become unliveable unless you work walking distance. Already we are confined to our neighborhoods.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:39 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If this increase in population isn't accompanied by improved infrastructure, we're all going to be in a world of hurt if we're still living here in 2035. It's already bad now. The thought of the traffic, etc. getting worse is just too depressing to contemplate. At least I'll be retired by then, so I won't be braving the freeways regularly to go to work.
Indeed. I really don't understand how people can embrace the reductionist's "we'll build more housing" apologia, and simply dismiss traffic issues as if we're all going to have double the proposed subway systems or flying cars by 2035. Seriously?

And what of other resources such as potable water? We get our water through those four big pipes up north off of I-5 and I don't see them getting any bigger.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
One developer told Garcetti that the city should rezone single family housing to higher density multi family .. but I doubt that would go over too well in most areas especially the ones where many of the homeowners are attorneys .

I guess we will see if Tranmel Crow starts making some "donations " to get their way .
---
Brad Cox, senior managing partner at the Trammell Crow Company, a commercial real estate developer, said he thinks the city should reduce the amount of parking in LA County and use that space to build additional housing in areas close to public transportation.

“If you densify 4 percent of the city around our transit, you can solve our housing problems,” Cox said.

He added he thinks the county should rezone primarily low-density, single-family housing into more affordable housing units. Currently, 28 percent of housing sites around transit hubs use less than 50 percent of their zoned capacity. Over time, these sites can be rebuilt to include efficient affordable housing, Cox said.

LA Mayor Garcetti, other officials speak about housing issues at event | Daily Bruin
Indeed. All these developers want to stuff money in their pockets at the expense of others. They make money hand over fist by harming the life quality of neighborhoods with their disproportionately large projects, then laugh their way into a nice gated community adjacent to the Salton Sea while the rest of us are stuck with their handywork decreasing all our property values.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:

---

He's right about the rezoning. There are 3 stops on the Expo Line which are adjacent to single family housing - Sepulveda, Westwood/Rancho Park, and Farmdale. While the residential areas next to the Sepulveda and Farmdale stations are zoned R2, the area next to the Westwood/Rancho Park station is zoned R1. Unfortunately the NIMBYs are keeping it from being rezoned.

Reducing parking? I can understand eliminating parking requirements for new housing to make housing cheaper but reducing parking near train and bus stations would not be a good idea as it would discourage people from using public transit.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Indeed. All these developers want to stuff money in their pockets at the expense of others. They make money hand over fist by harming the life quality of neighborhoods with their disproportionately large projects, then laugh their way into a nice gated community adjacent to the Salton Sea while the rest of us are stuck with their handywork decreasing all our property values.
I don't think there are any nice gated communities adjacent to the Salton Sea....

Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 PM

335 posts, read 356,521 times
Quote:
Newsom wants to build 3.5 million units in CA by 2025

--
Gubernatorial candidate Gavin Newsom says California officials should set a goal to help 3.5 million new homes get built by 2025 to stem the state’s housing problems.

“Simply put, we’re experiencing a housing affordability crisis, driven by a simple economic argument,” the lieutenant governor said in a post on Medium outlining his housing plan. “California is leading the national recovery, but it’s producing far more jobs than homes. Providing adequate housing is fundamental to growing the state’s economy.”
Newsom says anything he can for a vote. He has no concrete plans. I'd love to hear how we will accomplish this goal while fighting the battle of rent control, NIMBYism, and gentrification battles.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:23 PM

335 posts, read 356,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Haha. Can you imagine a million more people trying to get onto Wilshire or Olympic? La Cienega? La Brea? Those streets are meant for a city of a couple million at most. Poor little Ohio Avenue in West LA, once meant for local access only. The city will truly become unliveable unless you work walking distance. Already we are confined to our neighborhoods.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles