Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times

Advertisements

Yes, apologies re the Oak View/Park mixup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:29 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
OP, Oak View is just outside of Ojai.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I can get from Santa Clarita to Burbank during morning rush hour in 35-45 minutes most days but at least once a month there is a fatality accident and it takes me 2+ hours. The longer your drive in is mileage the more opportunities to get caught in some sort of traffic disaster. If you need to make a flight at LAX then you need to account for worst case scenario for traffic. So people saying you can make a 90 mile drive to LAX in 1.5 hours most days means that when there is a traffic nightmare that it might take 3-4 hours and while those nightmares don't happen every day , they happen regularly. So if someone want to live that far out then they should probably consider staying at a hotel at LAX the night before flying or leaving 6 hours before flight to make sure they arrive in plenty of time to check in.

That's why you lisen to this thing called a radio or get a app that has a instant traffic update. First thing I do is get 1070am by the time at getting on the onramp I know what traffic I'm hitting.
Freeway closure? You can go around on streets pick back up.

If you have a flight just leave early. It's not like you fly out every day

Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's why you lisen to this thing called a radio or get a app that has a instant traffic update. First thing I do is get 1070am by the time at getting on the onramp I know what traffic I'm hitting.
Freeway closure? You can go around on streets pick back up.

If you have a flight just leave early. It's not like you fly out every day
Yes, that's my point. Unfortunately if you are driving 90 miles it can be perfectly fine when you get on the road and 2 or 3 accidents can happen en route. And it's not always as simple as going around a freeway closure. If you are coming down the 5 south through Santa Clarita in my example since I do it everyday and the 5 is completely closed (happened about 5 times in the past 2.5 months to me) then you have 6 lanes worth of freeway traffic getting off and cutting through Santa Clarita surface roads with 2 lanes and then onto the Old Road/San Fernando road which is 1 lane in parts. So most of the time you are just screwed when things happen. Which gets back to my suggestion of leave very early like 6 hours before flight or spend the night at an LAX hotel the night before flying. I agree if OP is traveling once in a while it's not a big deal as long as they plan. If they have a job where they are traveling 50% of the time then I wouldn't want to do that.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Its all going to come down to preference.

I personally think you will be hard pressed to find what you are looking for within a 2 hour drive of LAX EXCEPT for early mornings or weekends. Weekdays are brutal.

That said, I'm going to give you a list of places that might fill your needs along with comments:

-As previously suggested Ventura County. The positives are that the area is nice, low crime, cool temperatures, and theres lots of open spaces. The cons are the drive into LAX(the 405 from SFV into Westside is the worst in the nation) and I'm not sure the quality of public schools.

-You may find something on the outskirts of Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley and that may work for you. Extremely nice areas with good public schools. Hot though and most of the property is suburban.

-Santa Clarita/Valencia same exact comments as TO and SV above. Lots of people find this area desireable. Also if you want a more rural setting, look between Saugus and Acton. Your money goes farther here than anywhere else. Hot as heck in the summer though. But this is what you get:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Acton/3215.../home/21926399

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Acton/3292...0/home/6361639

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Acton/2046...0/home/6231172

-I'm not saying much about the deserts because I don't like them. At your budget you have your pick of whatever you want in Lancaster/Palmdale/Victorville/Apple Valley. I'm not a fan.

-Lots of places in the IE and it will just depend on your preference. Hot in the summer, but much more affordable than LA proper. Rancho Cucamounga outskirts, Chino Hills, Corona, Norco etc. The farther out you go, the more places will fit your list. One place that doesn't get talked about much is Redlands. Ok public schools and an older charm about the place IMO. Close enough to RC that you can go see minor league ball games, concerts at Citizen Bank and San Manuel Ampitheatre, but far enough away to seem like miles outside the LA sprawl.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redlands/2...3/home/3465599

Also not mentioned is Mentone at the base of the San Bernadino Mountains. The main road through town...Highway 38...is probably the nicest view and drive up to Big Bear Lake(a ski resort and small town). I don't see any huge homes, though there are a few "interesting" properties bordering in Redlands:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Redlands/7.../home/22899899

Its nice to be in your financial situation. Good luck on your search.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 4,904 times
Thanks to all for the information.
Now we're able to look at more options.
Very much appreciated.

Regards,
Dan.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:11 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
If you just need 1-2 hours aways from LAX, have you consider Las Vegas, you haven't mentioned frequency you need to travel.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
I would look in Agua Dulce or Acton, off of the 14 Fwy between the Santa Clarita Valley and the Antelope Valley.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Acton/6747...0/home/8148384

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Clar...0/home/6366570

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Agua-Dulce...0/home/6363341

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Agua-Dulce...0/home/6363833

Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yes, that's my point. Unfortunately if you are driving 90 miles it can be perfectly fine when you get on the road and 2 or 3 accidents can happen en route. And it's not always as simple as going around a freeway closure. If you are coming down the 5 south through Santa Clarita in my example since I do it everyday and the 5 is completely closed (happened about 5 times in the past 2.5 months to me) then you have 6 lanes worth of freeway traffic getting off and cutting through Santa Clarita surface roads with 2 lanes and then onto the Old Road/San Fernando road which is 1 lane in parts. So most of the time you are just screwed when things happen. Which gets back to my suggestion of leave very early like 6 hours before flight or spend the night at an LAX hotel the night before flying. I agree if OP is traveling once in a while it's not a big deal as long as they plan. If they have a job where they are traveling 50% of the time then I wouldn't want to do that.
Sure if you are flying out a lot then it makes sense to be closer. But in Riverside there is Ontario airport, OC has John Wayne if you are flying US. For international sure LAX is the place and if you're that worried then yes stay over or leave really early.

Unless the accidents involve death or just mangled 18 wheelers blocking the freeway most small car accidents get cleared fast

Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,459 times
Default california

I live 30 miles north of L.A. at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains. The Santa Monica mountains are a park, with some homes, winding roads and acerage. the Las Virgenes School System is the highest in the State. This is the prettiest area you'll hit first after leaving l.a. and the San
Fernando valley. North of here is Ventura.T here are home here within your price range North of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles