Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 AM

547 posts, read 774,710 times

Advertisements

I may have a potential job to relocate to California and I would be working on Ventura Blvd near Studio City. What area should I concentrate looking at to live within reasonable commute (45 mins or so).

I have 2 young kids under 4yo so would like to live in a safe, family friendly neighborhood that is within reasonable commute of the beaches.

I was thinking Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, etc but are there any other cities closer that meet the safe, family friendly criteria?

We would be renting and would like it to be under $3k.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Studio City is safe and id say pretty family friendly . But the rents are pretty crazy these days

I'd say Woodland Hills/Warner Center area or Burbank . Woodland Hills you'd be closer to the beach . But most likely you'll be going to the beach a lot less than you expect.

Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks are both very safe and family friendly but your commute from Studio city would likely be longer than 45 mins .

Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks are a lot more suburban than the valley also

Have you been to these areas before ?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Yes, I've visited there a few years ago and more recently Orange County area.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
...Studio City. What area should I concentrate looking at to live within reasonable commute (45 mins or so)...I was thinking Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks...
The commute from TO or Simi to SC is 50 minutes just in regular midday traffic. In rush hour or high traffic times, 1-1.25 hours in freeway time alone, not door-to-door. Try for Sherman Oaks.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,289 times
Valley Village. Next neighborhood north of Studio City. All of the convenience, none of the traffic/noise/crowding/inflated costs.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 AM

alternatively, if we decide to go more inland, does Glendale/Pasadena fit my criteria?

Also, want to add we'd like to be close to some parks, some shopping/dining, etc.

Last edited by pjnugget; 11-30-2017 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: forgot to add a sentence

Old 11-30-2017, 11:50 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Quote:
alternatively, if we decide to go more inland, does Glendale/Pasadena fit my criteria?

Also, want to add we'd like to be close to some parks, some shopping/dining, etc.
Maybe. You won't be close beach. Both will probably be 45 minute commute most days. Both have plenty of parks, shopping and dining. You might want to consider schools if you have kids unless you are planning on private school or home schooling. Pasadena schools are not great, South Pasadena are. Glendale schools are decent but neighboring Burbank has excellent schools so you might want to consider there. If you live within LAUSD school district you will have to get lucky to get good schools and generally all of the middle and high schools will be terrible. But if you are renting at first that might not be a huge deal since you can always move to an area with better schools when the time comes.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
Since public schools aren't an issue (yet), that opens up a lot more options for you. Getting into Studio City can be very difficult in the mornings and the evening commute is no better. My first recommendation is to live close to the office. Having said that, $3k will only get you an apartment in/near Studio City. If you prefer a detached home, you'll probably have a bit of a drive. Either way, the valley is surprisingly family friendly when you have little ones, even in LA proper neighborhoods.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:04 PM

451 posts, read 562,372 times
Quote:

You really have a lot of flexibility of where you can live if you work in Studio City. You could live as far east as Pasadena and still fit within your 45 minute ideal commute. Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks may be a bit far. I wouldn't recommend anywhere further west than Tarzana. You can even live in the LA area (by that I mean Los Feliz, Hollywood areas) and still be within your commute time frame.

As for dining/shopping, parks, I think you're going to have to chose what you'd prefer to be closer to: parks or dining/shopping. Not that either of those things are going to be very far from each other, but I don't believe there are many options within reasonable walking distance. Dining/Shopping is plentiful along Ventura Blvd from Studio City to Sherman Oaks and Encino and San Fernando Road in Burbank. You may want to Google map those areas and see what parks you can locate in the general areas.

Last edited by latino_esq; 11-30-2017 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 11-30-2017, 12:25 PM

240 posts, read 240,203 times
You can definitely find a house for rent with 3 bedrooms for under 3K in the valley that's closer to Studio City than Simi Valley. Simi your money goes farther, but you pay for it with commute. A friend just rented her 3 bed house in Encino Park (Burbank Blvd/White Oak respectively) for $2500. It was older and had only 1 bath, but my point is you can still do it in a great neighborhood.

Check into Valley Village, Valley Glen, North Hollywood (which is gentrifing rapidly) which would all put your commute under 20 mins. Also Lake Balboa, Encino, and parts of Reseda (which have come up tremendously. I'm thinking like pockets in Stagg, Lorne, and Newcastle Elementary schools) which all have a commute of under 30 mins. You should have great options in any of those neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles