Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,175 times

Advertisements

The landlord of my apartment complex offers to extend the lease by 6 months at current rent, even though my current lease expires almost a year from now.

On the one hand, it would be good to secure the terms of the lease and not worry about rent increase for another half a year. On the other hand, my gut tells me the landlord (a large corporation operating hundreds of apartment communities nationwide) wouldn't make an offer like this if it was not profitable for them. They might expect rents to go down in the area, or they have information about developments in the neighborhood that may reduce the quality of life in the apartment complex (e.g. if construction started nearby).

I'm not sure whether to accept or reject the offer. Any thoughts or suggestions?

P.S. this is my first post, and I'm thrilled to join the community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 PM

126 posts, read 117,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleador View Post
The landlord of my apartment complex offers to extend the lease by 6 months at current rent, even though my current lease expires almost a year from now.

On the one hand, it would be good to secure the terms of the lease and not worry about rent increase for another half a year. On the other hand, my gut tells me the landlord (a large corporation operating hundreds of apartment communities nationwide) wouldn't make an offer like this if it was not profitable for them. They might expect rents to go down in the area, or they have information about developments in the neighborhood that may reduce the quality of life in the apartment complex (e.g. if construction started nearby).

I'm not sure whether to accept or reject the offer. Any thoughts or suggestions?

What's more important to you . . .

A) Sure thing that you can budget for 18 months?

B) The option value of being able to move; stay put at the same rent; stay put at a lower rent; stay put at a higher rent a year from now?

Old 11-15-2017, 01:07 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleador View Post

What is the area? I would do research and see if there are any development plans for the neighbourhood or look at Redfin and see if properties are selling a lot and how much for.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,801 times
Depends on if the apartment is rent control or not. If there is rent control no need to sign the extension, they can't raise the rent above the prescribed amount.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
They might be getting ready to sell the building to a new company. Would that matter to you?

Old 11-15-2017, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
What is the area? I would do research and see if there are any development plans for the neighbourhood or look at Redfin and see if properties are selling a lot and how much for.
Thank you for your answer. It's in Fairfax/La Brea area. I've checked Zillow rent data for LA metropolitan area as well as for neighborhoods nearby, and it looks like rents haven't been growing for the past 7-8 months. Maybe they expect no further growth or even a decline in rents, and want to secure future cash flow.

I just thought that it's a little suspicious that the landlord makes the extension offer a year in advance. I don't think it's common practice.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 AM

71 posts, read 119,407 times
Owning rentals in Los Angeles is a better ROI than most any other investment with little to no risk of loss of principle. Many firms looking to secure funding know it's easier to do with firm leases to back their income projections.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 AM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
There are a couple of schools of thought in play here.
My gut feeling is that a new development close to your complex is about to get underway.
Keep in mind, the city of Los Angeles has made it possible for developers to build many homes on small lots, where that was not possible a short while ago.
That in and of itself destroys neighborhoods that have for years been relegated as somewhat tranquil.

This is happening two blocks from where I live, and in many other parts of the city.
Echo park comes to mind.
In my area, an extremely small lot, that housed one three bedroom house, is presently being rebuilt with ten houses on the lot, where one house stood.
These houses will be narrow, but tall(3 and 4 stories high.)which is why they can put so many houses on that tiny lot.
The houses surrounding this are all one level, and will be dwaft by these much taller structures.

This perhaps is what may be going on in your area soon, and the landlord doesn't want his tenants moving out during, or after construction of a new development.
It might behoove you to ask other tenants if they were offered the same deal.

If so, you can rest assured something is going to be happening in the area, and soon.
The only other thing that comes to mind is the property you live in, is in need of repair, that could cost thousands and thousands of dollars, and in the hope tenants won't complain because the repairs are not being done, the offer is being made.
In many building in this city, landlords collect rents, and needed repairs are not done until absolutely necessary.

Being in the business, I know some landlords in the city who forgo doing any major repairs, until the tenants as a group demand that repairs be done.

When buildings are neglected, repairs become extremely costly, and the likelihood of tenants moving out, is very real, so landlords try the old enticement game to keep tenants paying rent.

I am not saying this is the case in your situation, but it could be.

Bob.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:57 PM

71 posts, read 119,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
There are a couple of schools of thought in play here.
My gut feeling is that a new development close to your complex is about to get underway.
Keep in mind, the city of Los Angeles has made it possible for developers to build many homes on small lots, where that was not possible a short while ago.
That in and of itself destroys neighborhoods that have for years been relegated as somewhat tranquil.

This is happening two blocks from where I live, and in many other parts of the city.
Echo park comes to mind.
In my area, an extremely small lot, that housed one three bedroom house, is presently being rebuilt with ten houses on the lot, where one house stood.
These houses will be narrow, but tall(3 and 4 stories high.)which is why they can put so many houses on that tiny lot.
The houses surrounding this are all one level, and will be dwaft by these much taller structures.

This perhaps is what may be going on in your area soon, and the landlord doesn't want his tenants moving out during, or after construction of a new development.
It might behoove you to ask other tenants if they were offered the same deal.

If so, you can rest assured something is going to be happening in the area, and soon.
The only other thing that comes to mind is the property you live in, is in need of repair, that could cost thousands and thousands of dollars, and in the hope tenants won't complain because the repairs are not being done, the offer is being made.
In many building in this city, landlords collect rents, and needed repairs are not done until absolutely necessary.

Being in the business, I know some landlords in the city who forgo doing any major repairs, until the tenants as a group demand that repairs be done.

When buildings are neglected, repairs become extremely costly, and the likelihood of tenants moving out, is very real, so landlords try the old enticement game to keep tenants paying rent.

I am not saying this is the case in your situation, but it could be.

Bob.
Published source please?!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:48 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRoth View Post
Published source please?!
What published source are you looking for?

If you are looking for source as to housing development on small lots, here you go
There are a few links you can click on that explain what is going on in the highland park area of thew city.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ny-houses.html

Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 11-16-2017 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles