Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,597,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I lived at Wilshire and Normandie while they were building the Red Line. Mom and Pop businesses that depended on sidewalk traffic that had been in existence for thirty plus years went out of business while they were building it. It was messy and dirty and it was just miserable. Having lived through the construction, I can fully understand why no one would want their neighborhoods and businesses disrupted by the construction.
But yet it's okay that we bulldozed entire neighborhoods to build the freeways and we're still trying to destroy people's homes today with the widening of the 405. Closing a sidewalk is considered a major disruption, but clearing out countless acres of city blocks and replacing them with a loud freeway is considered a small sacrifice for the greater good. I'm sorry that people lost their businesses during the subway construction, but business eventually returned to Wilshire and Hollywood Blvd and is probably more vibrant and active now because of the subway. Business can never return to the areas that were cleared for the 105, 10, 405, etc. Nothing can ever return there. It's a freeway. But yet Angelenos have no problem with that; it's the evil MTA with their unwanted subway who are the real bad guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:53 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,498,791 times
The MTA subway trains have almost always been very reliable. Does your car always start, CESpeed? I know you have more control over your car (how well you maintain it, etc.), but things can happen in any form of transportation.

Last Halloween I took the Red Line from the North Hollywood station to Hollywood Blvd. Of course, Hollywood was a complete zoo as it always is on Halloween; I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to park around there!!! The subway was a very convenient way to travel.

On the other side of things, I have to be at work in Woodland Hills by 6:30 every morning, and the traffic isn't bad when I leave at 6:10. I could take the Orange Line (busway), but I'm afraid I'm not motivated to travel those twelve miles using public transportation. I'd have to get up a lot earlier, and I already don't get enough sleep!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,416,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
haha. his wife was an environmental activist who was pretty serious about it. She would literally drive up next to people driving Hummers on the freeway and yell profanities and flip them off, haha.

Oh, well, in that case - let's not lump me together with her. While I am very serious about the things I believe in - I also believe in Peace, Non-judgement, & unconditional love - of everyone - even people driving Hummers! I used to go to "Peace Rallies" & finally just quit going because I didn't want to be lumped in with people who considered themselves Pro-Peace but displayed behaviour that was as hateful, aggressive, & uncaring as those they so ardently opposed! Yeah, I know you were teasing - but I just had to comment (because I am "pretty serious" about this... lol)!

Cheers!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,073,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The MTA subway trains have almost always been very reliable. Does your car always start, CESpeed? I know you have more control over your car (how well you maintain it, etc.), but things can happen in any form of transportation.

Last Halloween I took the Red Line from the North Hollywood station to Hollywood Blvd. Of course, Hollywood was a complete zoo as it always is on Halloween; I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to park around there!!! The subway was a very convenient way to travel.

On the other side of things, I have to be at work in Woodland Hills by 6:30 every morning, and the traffic isn't bad when I leave at 6:10. I could take the Orange Line (busway), but I'm afraid I'm not motivated to travel those twelve miles using public transportation. I'd have to get up a lot earlier, and I already don't get enough sleep!
On extremely rare occaisions the rail is good. Yes, my car does always start. It's still under warranty so it better!

Of course when I had my car accident, it took me a minute to get a new car and the time I used public transportation was absolutely miserable. There's a difference between your car not starting and a bus not showing up, or passing you because it's overcrowded. Or my favorite: arriving at work smelling like BO because you got squished against someone who hasn't heard of soap. At least if my car doesn't start, I can get a jump and know how late I'm going to be. With the bus... let's just say I've lost more than one job because of the unreliability.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
But yet it's okay that we bulldozed entire neighborhoods to build the freeways and we're still trying to destroy people's homes today with the widening of the 405. Closing a sidewalk is considered a major disruption, but clearing out countless acres of city blocks and replacing them with a loud freeway is considered a small sacrifice for the greater good. I'm sorry that people lost their businesses during the subway construction, but business eventually returned to Wilshire and Hollywood Blvd and is probably more vibrant and active now because of the subway. Business can never return to the areas that were cleared for the 105, 10, 405, etc. Nothing can ever return there. It's a freeway. But yet Angelenos have no problem with that; it's the evil MTA with their unwanted subway who are the real bad guys.
Personally, I don't think people should lose their homes for a freeway. But I didn't hear those people complaining when they got checks in excess of what thier houses were worth to move. And the businesses that were closed (people's lifelong hard work) have never reopened and they did not receive the value of their businesses.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
Quote:
I knew what you meant. I just prefer to be able to go to outings and events on my time schedule rather than the unreliable MTA. What would you have done if that train had been early or broke down and didn't show up?
What if the lot you parked your car in closed at midnight? Happened to me- I had to hustle back to get it. I'm just saying I trust the MTA to get me home, versus ME driving home tipsy after a night of drinking.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 AM

There is such a thing as street parking. Look: yes, things can go wrong with a car. However you can't argue that there is way more freedom with a car than the bus. A car is more reliable and you can get from point A to point B much faster 99% of the time. In my car, I don't see people fighting the backseat (no, I don't have kids), there's no one who smells so bad that my eyes are watering, no one is scratching graffiti in it, and if it does break down, I know that's why I can't get to where I want instead of standing in the street wondering if it'll come in time for me to get to where I need to go.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 AM

Cool Trains, NOT busses

Quote:
There is such a thing as street parking. Look: yes, things can go wrong with a car. However you can't argue that there is way more freedom with a car than the bus. A car is more reliable and you can get from point A to point B much faster 99% of the time. In my car, I don't see people fighting the backseat (no, I don't have kids), there's no one who smells so bad that my eyes are watering, no one is scratching graffiti in it, and if it does break down, I know that's why I can't get to where I want instead of standing in the street wondering if it'll come in time for me to get to where I need to go.
You hate downtown and the transit system, I GET IT. We all get it.

And then you went off into a jag about smelly BUSSES, and waiting on the STREET for transit. And this is in response to me preferring to take a subway train when tipsy, rather than driving home drunk....???? Subways are underground, not in the street.

And no, one CANNOT get from A to B '99%' of the time faster in a car- not in my experience. And I am talking about TRAINS, not BUSSES. I would say car 75% and trains 25%.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Most people cannot be serviced by trains alone. For most, they need a combination of the buses and the train. You know you are one of the few who can travel by train alone, but please be honest when talking about the transit saystem. Most people think you are talking about the bus.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:20 PM

Question I don't know what what more I can do...

Quote:
Most people cannot be serviced by trains alone. For most, they need a combination of the buses and the train. You know you are one of the few who can travel by train alone, but please be honest when talking about the transit saystem. Most people think you are talking about the bus.
Allow me to quote myself (go back a page and read it for yourself):

"Many are the times I have visited the Pig and Whistle for dinner and a drink; walked next door to the Egyptian for a movie, and made it back just after midnight for the last train to Union Station. Not a bus to be found, I avoid them if possible. If CAN be done, and is far more common and convenient than people think."

'Most people' read train and understand 'train.'

Is there anyone out there who thought I meant BUS, when I wrote TRAIN?

It has little to do with honesty, rather it has everything to do with reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles