Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times

Advertisements

so, how about those astronomical gas prices? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Allow me to quote myself (go back a page and read it for yourself):

"Many are the times I have visited the Pig and Whistle for dinner and a drink; walked next door to the Egyptian for a movie, and made it back just after midnight for the last train to Union Station. Not a bus to be found, I avoid them if possible. If CAN be done, and is far more common and convenient than people think."

'Most people' read train and understand 'train.'

Is there anyone out there who thought I meant BUS, when I wrote TRAIN?

It has little to do with honesty, rather it has everything to do with reading comprehension.
Most of the people who read this are probably getting the wrong idea because you are misrepresenting the public transit system as though it is predominately trains. It is NOT. Of the several hundred lines that run through MTA only 5 of them are trains. And fyi, only the red and purple lines is underground the rest of the trains have platforms at or above street level. The green line's platforms are along the freeway and the Gold is a combination of both street and freeway. If our transit system consisted of mostly trains as you try to make it sound, then I wouldn't have a problem with them because, like SandyCo said, the trains are usually very reliable. The busses which make up over 95% of the transit system are not good for regular transportation. Especially not if you need to be anywhere at a specific time.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,415,438 times
Lightbulb Agree to Disagree?

Personally, I am not nor was I confused about anything being said...

That all being said...

Perhaps there should just be an agreement to disagree on this matter, huh?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,202,578 times
Hubbie delivered newspapers as a kid on a Vespa! Had to laugh a little while reading this...he's not at all sure he'd care to ride one on a major hwy!!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,225,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Most of the people who read this are probably getting the wrong idea because you are misrepresenting the public transit system as though it is predominately trains. It is NOT. Of the several hundred lines that run through MTA only 5 of them are trains. And fyi, only the red and purple lines is underground the rest of the trains have platforms at or above street level. The green line's platforms are along the freeway and the Gold is a combination of both street and freeway. If our transit system consisted of mostly trains as you try to make it sound, then I wouldn't have a problem with them because, like SandyCo said, the trains are usually very reliable. The busses which make up over 95% of the transit system are not good for regular transportation. Especially not if you need to be anywhere at a specific time.
You exasperate me. I have misrepesented nothing. You make assumptions- not my problem.

Tell me something I don't already know.

I'm gonna move forward now.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM

14 posts, read 30,232 times
If d' price of gas gets too high, we may all go back to bicycles n' roller skates.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Farther from everything= lower home value, higher gas cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Benson View Post
If d' price of gas gets too high, we may all go back to bicycles n' roller skates.
Interesting story on NPR this morning about how the suburban homes are selling for far less than homes near transit. Makes sense, especially with gas $4/gallon (I guess everyone saw that coming except our illustrious 'leader.')

People may be warming up to Metro Rail after all- there may be little choice.

Story below:

Home Prices Drop Most in Areas with Long Commute : NPR

Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM

There's always a choice: ride the bus like a loser or drive a car.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
There's always a choice: ride the bus like a loser or drive a car.
Dictatorial, elitist and twisting a story on RAIL into yet another anti-MTA rant.

Priceless.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 PM

Glad to be of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles