Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 AM

8 posts, read 30,837 times

Advertisements

After a recent trip to california I have realized what I'm missing on the west coast. I'm a recent college graduate and homeowner in philadelphia but am really considering a move to LA or the orange county area. I have friends and family in downtown LA and Huntington beach but would really love to make the move (for a year or 2). So far I've seen downtown LA, hollywood, santa monica, long beach, and huntington beach and really liked all of them. I'm considering renting for around $1100 (maybe a little more or less) a month or possibly even buying a condo. I'd love to be in a nice, safe area that I can walk around and enjoy the outdoors. Here are some other features I'm looking for:
1 bed / 1 bath - could maybe do a studio if it was really nice
water-pool or beach
parking-willing to pay a small fee if i had to
night life-within a short walk/drive
the least amount of traffic as possible-haha (close to metro train/subways could also be a plus)
maybe a place thats furnished considering i dont think ill be shipping all my stuff from philly

I started looking at some areas of Long Beach and Playa Vista at Marina del Rey. I'm really open to anything. Up-and-coming-areas are also an option if I were to buy. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

ps.here are some places ive checked out- feedback on convenience, safety would be great:
long beach 90802
alamitos beach
long beach terrace apartments
west broadway apartments
playa vista
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Anything in coastal long beach will be fairly good. once you get past broadway(i guess.. maybe 6th?) in the downtown area it could get kind of shady(especially west of pine). been a while since i was in the area, so it could have changed, but that was my perception a few years back

Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I agree with bhcompy. If you have to live in Long Beach, stick to downtown. From your post, I think you'd like Santa Monica very much.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 PM

thank so much for the advice so far... yes, i really really liked santa monica when i was there, but i just dont know if i could afford it. i'd really like something with ocean view if possible. i'd love to be in the middle of the action, whether that be shops, bars/restaurants, or the beach!!
does anyone know of any nice apartment/condo complexes that are nice, have a pool, and arent too too expensive?? (in marina del rey, playa vista, santa monica, or long beach) ....or any other similar areas.thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 AM

111 posts, read 466,300 times
Belmont Shore as well as Bluff Park in LB have easy ocean-access apt's at relatively cheap prices (compared to south bay & SM) Have you looked over in that neck of the woods at all?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 AM

ive heard a lot about belmont shore, heights, and bluff park although i've never really seen them. the only part of LB that I saw was the downtown area at the 1st street metro stop which seemed to be really nice.

one of my friends also mentioned playa vista which seems to have everything i could ever ask for. I heard the rent was based on your income, which doesnt really make sense...does anyone know anything about this??...someone on another thread said it was going to blow up. i prefer to spend my time in california on the beach or having fun, not dead.lol

Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
If you are going to live in Long Beach, the only place I would recommend would be Downtown, or along the beach. I really like Belmont Shore, it's a very nice area.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Playa Vista is very expensive. I know nothing about rent based on income. However, I have looked into rent prices in the past and 1 bedrooms were difficult to find under $2000 per month.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Yea i figured the rent would be crazy just by the looks of how nice everything is...and I'm sure if its based on income then they only want the wealthiest or there would be some type of random selection-which doesnt really make too much sense either...

anyway, does anyone know of a similar type of complex that would be closer to maybe $1000-1100 for a studio or $1200-$1300 for a one bedroom?? thx

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I agree with bhcompy. If you have to live in Long Beach, stick to downtown. From your post, I think you'd like Santa Monica very much.
Why the: If you have to live in Long Beach...is it a crappy town?...looks nice from what I've seen...but you guys live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles