Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:13 PM

89 posts, read 68,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqandrea View Post
Yes, this. Many of "us" who like to find good/interesting neighborhoods that suit our lives like THIS stage/type of gentrification. The very early phase where rents are not yet high, and the preexisting neighborhood is STILL THERE. Where folks that have been there for 20-30-40+ years look at us a little strangely but still smile.

I have lived in Highland Park for 3 years and it still feels like this to me. I love the people on my street (not personally, you know what I mean), from the guys who live in the group home to the younger even hipper couple who moved into a little apartment to the family with toddlers who know these streets better than I do. There is a yoga place, yes. There is a hipster coffee place, yes. But those places still are wedged in between dollar stores and manicure/waxing joints and street carts selling fresh fruit on a stick.

I don't want it to be "cleaner" and "nicer" and "safer". What it is right now might seem like a travesty compared to what the older residents remember from 30 years ago, but it seems far better for everyone for it to stay like THIS as long as possible before the real money moves in and condos go up and houses get knocked down.

This is just my way of saying that not all 'hipster gentrification' is bad. Many of those hipsters don't want much of anything to change about the neighborhood they move into. They want it to stay pretty much the same and just to slip in and try to fit in, as much as is reasonable.
Sounds like a nice vibe over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlnoir2 View Post
Sounds like a nice vibe over there.
Highland Park these days is very nice and actually feels safer than Brentwood does. Fewer crazy homeless on York than on San Vicente.

It wouldn't be my first choice of a place to live but they actually did a great job cleaning it up.

More truly diverse than the westside, too.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:10 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqandrea View Post
Yes, this. Many of "us" who like to find good/interesting neighborhoods that suit our lives like THIS stage/type of gentrification. The very early phase where rents are not yet high, and the preexisting neighborhood is STILL THERE. Where folks that have been there for 20-30-40+ years look at us a little strangely but still smile.

I have lived in Highland Park for 3 years and it still feels like this to me. I love the people on my street (not personally, you know what I mean), from the guys who live in the group home to the younger even hipper couple who moved into a little apartment to the family with toddlers who know these streets better than I do. There is a yoga place, yes. There is a hipster coffee place, yes. But those places still are wedged in between dollar stores and manicure/waxing joints and street carts selling fresh fruit on a stick.

I don't want it to be "cleaner" and "nicer" and "safer". What it is right now might seem like a travesty compared to what the older residents remember from 30 years ago, but it seems far better for everyone for it to stay like THIS as long as possible before the real money moves in and condos go up and houses get knocked down.

This is just my way of saying that not all 'hipster gentrification' is bad. Many of those hipsters don't want much of anything to change about the neighborhood they move into. They want it to stay pretty much the same and just to slip in and try to fit in, as much as is reasonable.
I agree. There are parts of NYC like this (literally no neighborhoods in NYC are cheap but these aren't super expensive yet) where there is an obvious hipster presence, but the ethnic character and grittiness remain. There is also street art everywhere which I think is cool.

I think people have a misconception of hipsters, people seem to think they're like uncool suburbanite soccer moms or something like that.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:30 AM

335 posts, read 356,607 times
We bought right on the South LA / north Inglewood boarder, a half a mile from the Crenshaw line a few months ago. We have good incomes and are white. The days of 90s hiphop are long gone. This area is ripe for gentrification and is frankly LA's best kept secret. The top reasons being:

1) Rams stadium. It's not just a few football games, there will be concerts, events and year round activities. The stadium will bring more jobs to the area and with LA traffic, people want to be near where they work. In addition, the stadium will bring more tax revenue to the area, which will significantly improve infrastructure. Lastly, the stadium will bring surrounding retail.

2) Crenshaw line. Historically speaking, areas within a 1 mile radius around rail tend to see quicker improvements than those who don't. The Metro has committed to helping the areas around the lines become more walkable (selfishly of course, because the thought is more people will then ride the rail).

3) Location - We are 20 minutes from the beach. 20 minutes from downtown. 20 minutes from West Hollywood. 20 minutes from South Bay. The "LA Bubble" is no more! We both travel frequently for work and being 10 minutes away from LAX is pretty awesome, too.

4) Silicon Beach - People want to be near where they work. Techies, software developers, entrepreneurs and VC's, while well paid, are getting pushed out of the Westside and S. LA/Inglewood is only 15 min from Playa.

5) Baldwin Hills Mall. Going through a major renovation and is less than 2 miles from the Inglewood boarder. Upscale shops and retail bring jobs.

6) Kaiser Permanente building. Just finished, it looks gorgeous. It will attract educated professionals within healthcare that want to be close to where they live.

7) Exposition Park. This one is a bit of a stretch, as it's 4 miles from the Inglewood boarder. However, the new stadium off the 110 will be completed by 2019 (2 years before the Rams stadium) and will bring jobs.

8) LA Great Streets Project. It's smaller scale than the others, but Florence to 76th St on Crenshaw was named as one of the location and there are tax incentives for restaurants and retail to be built.

Last edited by ima30something; 12-19-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Now there is a push from housing activists to make Inglewood rent controlled . Won't be surprised if they get their way . It would be one thing to hurt /slow gentrification of the area for sure .

https://www.scpr.org/news/2017/11/17...pursue-rent-c/
This is really short-sided for Inglewood residents. Yes, you lock in current market rates but that will inflate market rates in the future. There is a reason why north Inglewood pricing is much more affordable than South LA pricing, even though the neighborhood is much more upscale.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM

83 posts, read 122,306 times
Yeah - I don't think you can ignore the gentrification that is happening Inglewood. I used to think the Rams thing was a lot of hype, but with the metro running there and the boom of Silicon Beach (tech companies moving further south and away from Santa Monica congestion), it is sitting in a prime location. It probably won't change dramatically in a year, but I say give it 5-10 years and it is going to be a different place since I an already see the changes that are currently happening.

Westchester is Inglewood's neighbor and 2 bedrooms in Westchester are worth $800k-$1 million. You could live in west Inglewood and still take advantage of all the shopping/restaurants/gyms of Westchester which is right next door.

Lennox technically bears the brunt of most of the flight noise, not Inglewood. Inglewood's airplane noise is less than what Westchester hears.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:06 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
To the south of Inglewood is Hawthorne and Space X,, and Hyperloop and those car tunnels I see in many articles. Not sure how that will be a player in gentifying the surroundin g areas in the future.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
The smart money is buying in Watts. Wonder how long it will be until we start seeing articles about people getting pushed out of there .

Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
To the south of Inglewood is Hawthorne and Space X,, and Hyperloop and those car tunnels I see in many articles. Not sure how that will be a player in gentifying the surroundin g areas in the future.
It does look like something is happening breweries etc opening up .

Warehouse /industrial space much less than DTLA
-
Affordable rents for the cool warehouses have drawn businesses and SpaceX’s presence has helped keep them there, it seems. The company’s workers are patronizing local eateries and breweries—one brewery even has a beer named for SpaceX (Space XPA).

The future Rams and Chargers stadium under construction in Inglewood has helped as well, as many expect business to get even better once it opens.

The formerly industrial nooks of Hawthorne have “that kind of arts-district feel,” Los Angeles Ale Works co-founder Andrew Fowler tells the Times—except at a much more affordable price.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/12/15/167...ce-x-breweries

Old 12-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The smart money is buying in Watts. Wonder how long it will be until we start seeing articles about people getting pushed out of there .
Agreed, but too long to wait. Watts is where South LA was 20 years ago. My kids should buy in Watts (I don't have kids yet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles