Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Oh my god, your logic is so twisted. WHY would the best and brightest leave their home country to come to a country with citizens that think like you and that elects a moron like Trump for president?!?!?!?
The closed minded right wing idiots who have infected our government and have been given a voice by the Orange Idiot have guaranteed that the rest of the world laughs at us on a daily basis. The FACT is that Obama had restored some of our standing in the international community and restored some of the respect the world had for America. The last year of ludicrous Trump shenanigans have managed to undo all that was good about our reputation with the world.
Did you really just move here to LA to be another Trump basher? We have plenty of that here already. I don't get why Americans should be so hurt about how the rest of the world "laughs at us". Individuals should be more concerned about their waistlines and overall health than what 30 year old in the UK thinks about us while he's drinking his tea. You're asking why they would leave...apparently for plenty of reasons since people are still applying for visas or sneaking in everyday.

There's poverty and homeless here, as is everywhere. Its just that Southern California provides nice weather to survive in and the city as a whole is more visible. In NYC, the homeless tend to hibernate underground during cold months but the problem is huge there too.
In a capitalist system there will always be those at the very top and at the very bottom and some in the middle. I know alot of people don't like to hear that but its true. I'm not sure exactly how to fix things for the homeless. Maybe we can do a little better, but I have no idea on budgets, spacing, ect... or how that works.

With that said, their are homeless they you could offer help to regarding improving their lives, some will accept, and some will keep doing what they been doing due to drug dependency, mental health or whatever.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Oh my god, your logic is so twisted. WHY would the best and brightest leave their home country to come to a country with citizens that think like you and that elects a moron like Trump for president?!?!?!?
The closed minded right wing idiots who have infected our government and have been given a voice by the Orange Idiot have guaranteed that the rest of the world laughs at us on a daily basis. The FACT is that Obama had restored some of our standing in the international community and restored some of the respect the world had for America. The last year of ludicrous Trump shenanigans have managed to undo all that was good about our reputation with the world.
The hypocrisy of bellowing that we will say "Merry Christmas" again while ignoring those in need is mind boggling.
My friend was in China when Trump was there. She said they closed the factories for 3 days to get rid of the smog for him. Everybody was excited that he was there. Our status in the international community is still secure so stop imagining things you know nothing about. And he even helped our thieving b ball players over there.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My friend was in China when Trump was there. She said they closed the factories for 3 days to get rid of the smog for him. Everybody was excited that he was there. Our status in the international community is still secure so stop imagining things you know nothing about. And he even helped our thieving b ball players over there.
Not to mention that Obama hardly 'restored our international status' in the least. Interested parties should research how people in China, Russia, and the Middle East viewed the U.S. under Obama.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If I didn't have a good job, I'd be homeless within a year or two if I couldn't rely on my family to help me. I'm 54 years old, and the chances of me getting another job that pays as well as the one I have now are slim to none. Too young to retire, too old to be hired... Too young to qualify for medicare. I have some money saved, and I have a 401(k), but that money won't stretch to support me into my 80s and 90s if I suddenly couldn't work anymore. People like to judge the poor, but the reality is that it doesn't take much to send people into poverty, and it's extremely difficult to climb back out!
I can get a job tommorow. Two or three if need be. So can you. It’s because we’re not turds who wallow in self pity. If you truly can’t work you apply for social security disability. Many, if not most, crippling disabilities are automatic approvals for SSD including stage 4 cancers. If you have to you can move to a less expensive place rather live than Los Angeles.

It IS in fact difficult to drop to poverty levels where food and shelter are unaffordable and you are on the streets. It requires affirmative actions on ones part(such as refusing lower paying work) to wind up on the streets.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If I didn't have a good job, I'd be homeless within a year or two if I couldn't rely on my family to help me. I'm 54 years old, and the chances of me getting another job that pays as well as the one I have now are slim to none. Too young to retire, too old to be hired... Too young to qualify for medicare. I have some money saved, and I have a 401(k), but that money won't stretch to support me into my 80s and 90s if I suddenly couldn't work anymore. People like to judge the poor, but the reality is that it doesn't take much to send people into poverty, and it's extremely difficult to climb back out!
It's not a matter of judging people because they're poor, it's a matter of judging people because of their behavior and because of their lack of dignity and standards, not making the slightest effort to actually be presentable, embracing anti-western thought, and engaging in hostile behaviors (And yes I know it is not only the poor who do these things, and not all poor people do these things, but in L.A. there is a definite violent oppositional culture which many poor people gravitate to, as well as many non-poor)

Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
it's a matter of judging people because of their behavior and because of their lack of dignity and standards, not making the slightest effort to actually be presentable,
Some people are incapable of changing their behaviors, incapable of having dignity or standards, and lack the wherewithal and ability to make an effort to be presentable. They just can't. Not like the rest of us.

However, there are people who are just flat out bums, people who set out to live that way for one reason or another. "A lifestyle choice". And agreed, that is one that we shouldn't be subsidizing (the people I speak of in my prior paragraph simply don't contain the abilities to take care of themselves, as these people do).

It is pretty safe to say that homeless people in CA fit into both categories at varying levels.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of judging people because they're poor, it's a matter of judging people because of their behavior and because of their lack of dignity and standards, not making the slightest effort to actually be presentable, embracing anti-western thought, and engaging in hostile behaviors (And yes I know it is not only the poor who do these things, and not all poor people do these things, but in L.A. there is a definite violent oppositional culture which many poor people gravitate to, as well as many non-poor)
True. But there are those who use the system properly and gelp themselves. Punishjng them along with the scummy people is not a solution.

There will always be those who game a system.

And what do you mean by "anti western"?

Old 12-17-2017, 10:43 AM

26,728 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
True. But there are those who use the system properly and help themselves. Punishing them along with the scummy people is not a solution.
Exactly. Anyone who hasn't read this book--but thinks they know all about homelessness in Los Angeles--needs to read it.

The Real Story Behind 'The Soloist' https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=103415385

Old 12-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
1000 times this.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
True. But there are those who use the system properly and gelp themselves. Punishjng them along with the scummy people is not a solution.

There will always be those who game a system.

And what do you mean by "anti western"?
Look at the source of the document we are discussing. Next look at the underlying position being advocated. Learn about Western thought. Then consider what is meant by "anti-Western".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles