Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 11,381 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Pasadena area next month. After reading all of the posts it seem like South Pasadena is the nicest area around there. I am looking at a house in the San Rafael Hills area which I know is nice, but the house I am looking at is on the border of Pasadena and Eagle Rock. It is one street away from a Los Angeles zip code and the scenery totally changes. I am worried about the safety. I went to Lalife.com and the crime rate for Eagle Rock isnt that good. Any thoughts on this? I am coming from a nice West LA neighborhood and want to go to a nice area.

Is the air quality worse in Pasadena than in west LA, century city area?
My husband has allergies and I dont want him to get worse.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 AM

8 posts, read 73,555 times
I would say Yes, compared to West LA the air will be worse. Smog collects in the valley. It will also be hotter.

As far as neighborhoods, I can't really comment. Every nice neighborhood seems to border a not-so-great area. And you could always stick to another side for safety concerns. There are parts of nearby Altadena that aren't quite desirable. But go a little east or way north, it's rather nice. But really, you will know and sense when you've entered a "bad" area.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 PM

34 posts, read 177,024 times
How does South Pas compare to the area around Old Town? My wife and I will be moving to L.A. and we really love Old town. I've heard that South Pas is nice, too, but does it have the same feel as the area around Colorado Blvd? We want walkability, good caliber and selection of stores/restaurants, yet also easy access to the Gold Line... also, what's the commute like from South Pas to Sunset/Vermont?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlus View Post
How does South Pas compare to the area around Old Town? My wife and I will be moving to L.A. and we really love Old town. I've heard that South Pas is nice, too, but does it have the same feel as the area around Colorado Blvd? We want walkability, good caliber and selection of stores/restaurants, yet also easy access to the Gold Line... also, what's the commute like from South Pas to Sunset/Vermont?
South Pas is great and close to everything. It is a Gold Line transfer to the subway ride to Sunset/Vermont. Not a scintillation stop- other than Barnsdall Art Park and the Hollyhock House. Actually, it drops you just a couple blocks from the Vermont leg of Los Feliz, which has a great bookstore, a theatre and restaurants. Yes, walkable. And don't forget Marty and Elaine at the Dresden!

And not only is the air quality worse in Pas, it is a few degrees hotter to boot.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,943 times
Pasadena is a really neat place to live, with a little bit of something for everyone, and extremely diverse. Depending on the sort of money you have floating around, a beautiful place to live is Altadena, which is nestled right up against the mountains right above Pasadena. Altadena can basically be divided in two parts--the upscale, wealthy half, and the very poor, crime ridden half, so don't be scared off by statistics. In between you can find some lovely little homes (which are astronomically overpriced, of course), in friendly neighborhoods. Both Altadena and Sierra Madre have basically no pollution, as the wind blows it south toward downtown L.A.

The air quality in L.A. has improved drastically even in just the past fifteen years, however. The best bets for avoiding it are to be either near the ocean, or near the mountains. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrich View Post
I am moving to the Pasadena area next month. After reading all of the posts it seem like South Pasadena is the nicest area around there. I am looking at a house in the San Rafael Hills area which I know is nice, but the house I am looking at is on the border of Pasadena and Eagle Rock. It is one street away from a Los Angeles zip code and the scenery totally changes. I am worried about the safety. I went to Lalife.com and the crime rate for Eagle Rock isnt that good. Any thoughts on this? I am coming from a nice West LA neighborhood and want to go to a nice area.

Is the air quality worse in Pasadena than in west LA, century city area?
My husband has allergies and I dont want him to get worse.

Thanks for your help!
I live near Eagle Rock and I love it. Great restaurants, beautiful homes near Occidental College. THe location is nice because you have Glendale to the west and Pasadena to the east. I think ER is like any other diverse LA neighborhood in that there are bad pockets. My guess is the area sound of Yosemite might be dicey, but I don't really hang out there. We usually stick to Colorado Blvd from Eagle Rock Blvd to Figueroa.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
I think the pollution here will have a greater effect on someone with asthma rather than someone with allergies. However, it does get dry here and when the wind blows you see lots of people with tissue in their hands. There's really no escape from this, but it can be limited by staying away from open/nature areas.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM

34 posts, read 177,024 times
I remember visiting L.A. in the mid-late 80s... it was weird because it was bright out, but then when you looked up at the sky, the sun was just this hazy bright spot. When I last came to L.A. in November, the pollution seemed to have cleared up - and yes, when I looked up, I was glad that I could see a definitive sun!

Then again, in the 80s, we stayed at the Airport Hilton and it was summer... whereas when we visited in Nov., it was wintertime and we stayed in Century City and went to Pasadena and Long Beach.

Living near the mountains seems like a nice option - I've seen Altadena and was wondering what it was like there... thanks for your insights! However, does living near a mountain mean that you're in peak earthquake territory (even more so than just being in L.A.)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles