Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 03:07 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
She smokes. As do most "medical patients"
I don't. I agree that smoking is nasty. Combusting cannabis is probably not as bad for your lungs as tobacco, but it's still not good. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that inhaling any type of smoke is not going to do your lungs any favors.

Here in the legal states, there are lots of other options such as capsules, mints, patches, sublingual strips, gummis, teas and baked goods. You can also use vaporizer pens, which don't combust the material and give off very little odor. For medical patients, the edibles require about 45 minutes to two hours to take full effect, but the relief lasts longer, 4 to 6 hours.

"Smoking pot" is so 20th century!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I don't. I agree that smoking is nasty. Combusting cannabis is probably not as bad for your lungs as tobacco, but it's still not good. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that inhaling any type of smoke is not going to do your lungs any favors.

Here in the legal states, there are lots of other options such as capsules, mints, patches, sublingual strips, gummis, teas and baked goods. You can also use vaporizer pens, which don't combust the material and give off very little odor. For medical patients, the edibles require about 45 minutes to two hours to take full effect, but the relief lasts longer, 4 to 6 hours.

"Smoking pot" is so 20th century!
I don't know. There was famous study by UC Berkley that studied the lung function of patients over 20 years who smoked weed, cigarettes, weed and cigarettes and non smokers and the ones that smoked weed only actually had the best lung capacity after 20 years even over those who didn't smoke at all.

But I still agree smoking it is old fashion. I'm fan of technology and innovation and edibles and concentrates is where all of the innovation is these days

Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
With today's strength of strains available, if y'all are smoking enough to damage your lungs, y'all are buying some seriously sh*t weed. It don't take much of a hit - or often - to enjoy the herb anymore. This ain't Haight-Ashbury summer of love ...

Old 01-18-2018, 04:51 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
With today's strength of strains available, if y'all are smoking enough to damage your lungs, y'all are buying some seriously sh*t weed. It don't take much of a hit - or often - to enjoy the herb anymore. This ain't Haight-Ashbury summer of love ...
It isn't clear at this point whether or not smoking cannabis damages the lungs. The jury is still out. Until cannabis is legalized at the Federal level, scientific and academic institutions can't get government funding to study this, and we have to rely on smaller independent studies and anecdotal reports.

That said, I find that cannabis smoke and even vapor irritates my lungs and makes me cough. I prefer not to do it as I don't see how that can possibly be healthy. Also, some people who use cannabis medically can't smoke it for various reasons, so topicals or edibles are the answer to that. True, it ain't the Haight-Ashbury Summer of Love, but in some ways it's better now because with edibles you know exactly what you are getting and how much THC you're getting.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
It isn't clear at this point whether or not smoking cannabis damages the lungs. The jury is still out. Until cannabis is legalized at the Federal level, scientific and academic institutions can't get government funding to study this, and we have to rely on smaller independent studies and anecdotal reports.

That said, I find that cannabis smoke and even vapor irritates my lungs and makes me cough. I prefer not to do it as I don't see how that can possibly be healthy. Also, some people who use cannabis medically can't smoke it for various reasons, so topicals or edibles are the answer to that. True, it ain't the Haight-Ashbury Summer of Love, but in some ways it's better now because with edibles you know exactly what you are getting and how much THC you're getting.
Oh, it's waaaay better now, lol. And, I'm not advocating smoking the herb over any other manner of consumption. There have been over 10,000 studies on pot though. Including studies on its correlation to lung cancer (there is none - in fact, in one notable study, lung cancer in mice appear to be reversed with use of marijuana ...) and other lung damage. Inconclusive findings mean, at worst, it's basically benign. That said, though, smoke and lungs in general are obviously not a good combination ... and anything in excess is likely to 'ef things up.

But my only point was: it doesn't take much of a hit to enjoy the herb these days ... the exception being the serious dope heads who live to be as baked 24/7 as possible.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You'd probably be surprised the amount of people that do. It’s still a pretty white collar vice.
I suppose it's possible - but having dabbled in harder stuff myself (many years ago), I know most of it's WAY more addictive than marijuana could ever be. Coke wasn't really my thing, but I saw other people get dragged down fast by it.

Quote:
A little surprised about how open some people are being about the more harder/taboo stuff on this thread. Anyways, carry on....
Easy to be open on an anonymous forum. I'm also pretty open about these things in "real life," because I don't feel like I should have to make apologies... life is a journey, and all experiences (bad or good) make us who we are in the end. I'm okay with who I've become @ age 41, so why apologize for my past misgivings or experiments? Unless you directly harmed anyone, of course.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
So what. Doctors condone opiod abuse just as they condone weed abuse. Smoking anything is a nasty habit, IMO.
I've never met a doctor who condoned cannabis ABUSE - they do, however, approve moderate use for medical and (occasionally) psychological purposes. If I were actually abusing or physically addicted to the stuff, I'm sure my doctors would have recommended treatment by now.

Incidentally, I was just at the therapist yesterday, and she deemed me "mentally and physically fit" to restart a medication I used to take that's heavily controlled and monitored. I was very open about my cannabis use, too, and she saw no problem with why and how much I use. So again, if my doctor/therapist is okay with it, I'll take their word that I don't have a problem. Do you think she would have ignored a dangerous addiction or dependence? That wouldn't make her much of a doctor, methinks.

Quote:
Just saying, there is a big difference between using drugs to unwind, and using drugs to party once in a great while.
Why? If I'm not hurting anyone and still contributing positively to society, who freaking cares how I unwind? Whether it's pot, alcohol, exercise, television, video games, knitting, or whatever, we all have our outlets for relaxing... I have mine (not just pot fyi), and couldn't care less who approves or disapproves. Selective much?

Quote:
I pray that you can beat this addiction you have. A woman smoking weed at your age is just not appropriate, IMO. God bless.
Please don't waste your prayers on me, because I don't need them. And I don't need your approval, nor your opinions on how I spend my time & money, or what I do to my own body. Mind your business, and stop acting like your opinions actually hold weight here. People also used to say it was inappropriate for a woman to curse, but screw that too! As Cartman would say, I do what I want.

Also, you need to learn the meanings of ADDICTION and DEPENDENCY. Someone who can function daily, hold down a job, pay their bills, and easily goes without the substance (as most cannabis users can) regularly is NOT an addict. You obviously know nothing about substance abuse, so I recommend not attempting to sound like you do.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I suppose it's possible - but having dabbled in harder stuff myself (many years ago), I know most of it's WAY more addictive than marijuana could ever be. Coke wasn't really my thing, but I saw other people get dragged down fast by it.

Easy to be open on an anonymous forum. I'm also pretty open about these things in "real life," because I don't feel like I should have to make apologies... life is a journey, and all experiences (bad or good) make us who we are in the end. I'm okay with who I've become @ age 41, so why apologize for my past misgivings or experiments? Unless you directly harmed anyone, of course.
That may have more to do with what type of people you're hanging around with. I've never known anyone to get "dragged down" by blow but these are white collar weekend warrior types, not people "dabling" in harder drugs/blow just for the sake of it.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Weed lowers IQ and it’s heaviest users may end up being the ones with the lowest IQs. Powder cocaine doesn’t lower IQ even temporarily, and is even beneficial in smaller quantities.

Crack? That’s not what sane people do. It is not my problem that some groups are susceptible to this or that. They are not able to live in a libertarian society. That's too bad. I supported mj legalization too; I just know that it is always the dumbest who would abuse it. It would be the same with coke.
Is this quantifiably true?

The only way drugs would work in a libritarian society is if employers were 100% prohibited from drug testing. From a libertarian stand point this would be a violation of someone body. If someone is acting impared (even if they are really just an idiot or a dolt) should be enough to terminate.

The only reason pot destroys lives is because its a terminable offence, loss of income is what destroys the family not the pot.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That may have more to do with what type of people you're hanging around with. I've never known anyone to get "dragged down" by blow but these are white collar weekend warrior types, not people "dabling" in harder drugs/blow just for the sake of it.
I was a teenager at the time, lol... so yeah, my knowledge isn't really of the "white collar weekend warrior" types. But regardless, I think we can all agree that cocaine is POTENTIALLY much more dangerous than cannabis. No? That's really all I was trying to say.

I mean, you can't even compare the two, given OD and death rates of cocaine vs cannabis. And while I don't care what people do (go shoot heroin for all I care), I do know it only takes ONE bad dose to OD on coke. Has anyone ever overdosed on cannabis? Don't think so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles