Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 07:41 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I never worked as a prison guard, in fact I have never held a job with the state, so I have absolutely no clue if you hallucinated that or if you just make stuff up.
LOL. Sounds as if people are apparently getting desperate to get their point across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:58 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
I never worked as a prison guard, in fact I have never held a job with the state, so I have absolutely no clue if you hallucinated that or if you just make stuff up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
LOL. Sounds as if people are apparently getting desperate to get their point across.
Why am I remembering “What’s My Line?” shows from the 1950’s ...?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why am I remembering “What’s My Line?” shows from the 1950’s ...?
no kidding

Old 06-27-2018, 08:51 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Everything I stated is verifiable with online resources, I fact checked them before I posted. But in some discussions I just don't bother posting links because I know by seeing who is posting in the thread that my time in posting sources is just a waste because "certain people" will always claim that the source is not recent enough, good enough or unbiased enough so why should I bother? I will continue to source my posts in threads where I think we can engage in a real discussion. But if you really wanted to know if I was right, or if you just want to prove me wrong you would research this yourself, dontcha think?
Oh looky here, you worked as a prison guard 2sleepy, what's your opinion on this, well deserved?
Ok that's a cool story but what about your point? You say privatization doesn't work as evidenced by San Jose. If only SJ privatized and not every other surrounding area, they lost staff and couldn't hire anyone, one can surmise that those potential hires went to the higher paying jobs instead. They went to the fixed market as it is in their favor, so it is not a free market.

Oh, I'm pretty sure you've stated more than once that you worked in law enforcement. "And not as a janitor" to paraphrase you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You dun got me gud!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
no kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure you've stated more than once that you worked in law enforcement. "And not as a janitor" to paraphrase you.

You dun got me gud!
Ok. My turn. I’m going to guess motor-pool mechanic. Or department barber ... barbers hear a lot from their customers. So do mechanics ...

Old 06-27-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Ok that's a cool story but what about your point? You say privatization doesn't work as evidenced by San Jose. If only SJ privatized and not every other surrounding area, they lost staff and couldn't hire anyone, one can surmise that those potential hires went to the higher paying jobs instead. They went to the fixed market as it is in their favor, so it is not a free market.
I think you got a little lost in the thread, I never said what you think I did.

CaliR said that without unions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
But it will be the MARKET deciding the value of those packages, NOT public unions negotiating on the behalf of everyone.
to which I replied:

Quote:
That's true and I agree, look at how the market spoke after San Jose cut salaries by 10-18% in 2010 and then went after current employee's pensions in 2012. They lost 600 out of 1400 officers.
In other words, you can't cut wages and benefits and expect employees to stick around when they are being offered better pay and benefits by other employers. Would it be a fixed market if Tesoro Oil decided to cut wages by 25% but neither Shell or Chevron did? Do you think that Tesoro employees would hang around if they were offered jobs with better pay and benefits? If there were job openings at all three refineries would you call it a fixed market because no one applied for work at the employer who paid the lowest wages?

Regarding what I did in law enforcement, so far you have claimed that I was a dispatcher and a prison guard, you were wrong on both counts but if you want to keep guessing by all means, knock yourself out

Old 06-27-2018, 11:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
I think you got a little lost in the thread, I never said what you think I did.

CaliR said that without unions:

to which I replied:

In other words, you can't cut wages and benefits and expect employees to stick around when they are being offered better pay and benefits by other employers. Would it be a fixed market if Tesoro Oil decided to cut wages by 25% but neither Shell or Chevron did? Do you think that Tesoro employees would hang around if they were offered jobs with better pay and benefits? If there were job openings at all three refineries would you call it a fixed market because no one applied for work at the employer who paid the lowest wages?

Regarding what I did in law enforcement, so far you have claimed that I was a dispatcher and a prison guard, you were wrong on both counts but if you want to keep guessing by all means, knock yourself out
Point is gov pay and benefits does not match private, free market rates, they're manipulated, artificially inflated by the government to their benefit for your vote. Your analogy doesn't represent what we were saying.

I couldn't care less if what you specifically did for law enforcement. You have a vested interest to not cut pensions for government employees at the detriment to every other person living in CA. Who cares about tax hikes as long as your pension is getting funded.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less if what you specifically did for law enforcement.
Wow, max....up too late? That was rude.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:

In other words, you can't cut wages and benefits and expect employees to stick around when they are being offered better pay and benefits by other employers.
Uh yes you can. Without the parasitic public unions, there will be a "market adjustment" . Here's a little bit of reading of how that works for your own education.

AmosWEB is Economics: Encyclonomic WEB*pedia

The reason your previous example failed to explain how wages could drop (or not) is because it happened within the sphere of a market where public unions actually had power.

That's no longer the case due to the great work of the SCOTUS.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Uh yes you can. Without the parasitic public unions, there will be a "market adjustment" . Here's a little bit of reading of how that works for your own education.
AmosWEB is Economics: Encyclonomic WEB*pedia
The reason your previous example failed to explain how wages could drop (or not) is because it happened within the sphere of a market where public unions actually had power.
That's no longer the case due to the great work of the SCOTUS.
SCOTUS did not get rid of unions, I think many unions will give up exclusive bargaining rights and become "members only" organizations which do not have to represent free-riders, it's perfectly legal and would go a long way toward encouraging people to pay union dues.
Quote:
Labor unions also have the ability to form members-only unions which aren’t obligated to represent nonmembers. The CEI report adds that very little change to state labor relations law is necessary. Union members would continue to work under a collective bargaining agreement and related state laws would remain unchanged. “A policy of members-only unions would resolve the above issues,” the report states. “Under such a policy, a union would only represent, negotiate on behalf of, and collect dues from members of the labor organization. Non-members can exercise their newfound freedom to negotiate a contract with the public employer tailored to their needs.”
How Members-Only Unions Could Solve the Free-Rider Problem

I'm not going to discuss market adjustment here because that would only become relevant if all LE and firefighting agencies were privatized and that will not happen, not now and not in the foreseeable future, so if a few do privatize and try to significantly cut wages and benefits they will experience exactly what San Jose PD did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles